1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Spaceship engines and speed?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Wombleburger, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Wombleburger

Wombleburger Chieftain

Hi all,

Can anyone enlighten me on the effects of building engines on the speed of the spaceship in BtS? (Perhaps point me in the direction of an existing thread?)

In my latest game (on Epic speed) Joao II launched a ship with a single engine just 3 turns before I launched a ship with both engines. My twin-engined ship was scheduled to win me the game in 15 turns, so I (naively) assumed Joao II's single-engined ship wouldn't get there for 30 turns (12 turns after mine, given when he launched), but he beat me to the punch by 1 single turn! (Cue much nashing of teeth and cursing, threats to never play again, shortly followed by starting a new game...)

Clearly building 2 engines doesn't make the ship travel twice as fast (at least on Epic speed). So, how much faster does the second engine make it go?

2. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

Shoulda invaded his capital ;) That stops the spaceship altogether

3. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam GiftOfNukes

2 turns on normal speed, the exact same as a thruster.

Usually you won't build 2 engines and save time, unless you get fusion before other space techs and have enough cities to handle the production (it happens to me when I get internet and beeline genetics/fusion while the AI researches the other space techs for me).

4. Wombleburger

Wombleburger Chieftain

Thanks for the responses!

Blitzkrieg1980 - I would've invaded his captial, but he was far away (playing on a Huge map), his captial was waaaaay inland, and shortly after he launched the ship he capitulated to Saladin who had nukes and wasn't afraid to use them (he used them on Joao to make him capitulate in the first place). I think a better idea (that I saw in another thread), would've been to send a few boat-loads of spies over to his territory to sabotage his spaceship before he launched!

TheMeInTeam - 2 turns fits with what happened to me (I launched 3 turns after him and arrived 1 turn after.) Does spaceship speed not scale to game speed then? I was playing on Epic, so I assumed spaceship speed would be slower.

5. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

It does scale for gamespeed, I think it is 7 turns for another engine on marathon. Don't know about epic though.