1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Spaceship launched in 1170 "arrived" but game still on....

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by ptt196, Nov 19, 2017.

1. ptt196

ptt196 Chieftain

So it said it would take 14.3 years. 1184 right?
    Well even after waiting 20 turns - now its 1370, it says "arrived!" but I never got the whole alpha centuari thing.

What gives?

(I'm sure this was answered years ago but I can't find it)

2. Mize

Mize Chieftain

Yes, this happens. Since the travel time is measured in years and not actual turns, a ship that travels for 14 years will get lost in time before turns start counting for 2 years (at your launch date, a turn is 10 years or 5 years, I think).
    Since the year that the spaceship landed (1184) never really happened for the game, you don't get a victory screen and the game goes on.
    It's weird, but you can also get your capital captured and you'll get the 'ship returns to Earth' message even though the ship has supposedly landed.
    If other civs decide to go for building their own ships they can 'win' the game, regardless of the fact that you landed on AC centuries ago. In my experience though the AI does not invest in spaceships once you've landed, even if your ship got lost in time.

3. Verrucosus

Verrucosus Chieftain

The designers anticipated this problem to an extent: During the 1750 - 1850 era turns normally represent 2 years, but the time scale changes to 1 year/turn as soon as the spaceship is launched. This prevents ships with a travel time of an odd number of years from getting lost. I don't imagine that it would have been that hard to apply the same tweak to earlier eras, so it really shows how much the idea of a 1170 launch was beyond the imagination of the designers.

4. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Chieftain

There have been threads strategizing about how to launch early ships... you might be able to scare some up in a search. You have to be pretty deliberate about the 10/15/20 year designs, unfortunately. Sorry you had to learn this the hard way. I wish there was more we could do besides remember the loss, and reflect upon the eternal voyage of the ship, Somewhere In Time.

SWY likes this.
  5. Mize

Mize Chieftain

This also causes the weird side effect that automatic save games start coming earlier, so the autosave planned for 1850 happens in 1830 for example.
    Also, does the switch to 1-year-turns happen when the ship is launched or when somebody starts building it? I don't remember that exactly.

6. SWY

SWY Chieftain

I never knew about the year count changing. Now it suddenly makes sense why the game turn and the game year are being saved seperately.

7. Verrucosus

Verrucosus Chieftain

It happens when the ship is launched.

8. GoldBerg

GoldBerg CivDosPlayer of '91

See
    2014 CiV1 - THE SPACE RACE CONQUEST
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/2014-civ1-the-space-race-conquest-ver-3.526175/

Simply choose a longer flight-time -
    build a larger ship or use lesser propulsion units
    to stretch the travel-time...

...if we know the game's limitations, we have to deal with 'em. ;)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017