1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Spaceship parts too expensive?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Tony.Uk, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Tony.Uk

Tony.Uk TonyUK

Has anything changed since the Fall patch, because I find science victory harder to come by and find it more worthwhile to invest in Culture. Despite having most science techs I am lucky if I get SV by end of game unless I get an engineer or some additional
    scientists. I was playing on King difficulty until around end of year and winning mainly
    by warmongering. Now the game feels very different, and I have to drop down to Prince. I think science has been nerfed but when I am not sure.

2. ZeroFrance

ZeroFrance Chieftain

If you seek a science victory, you have to put a early interest in money and make a lot of trades, when I play for a science victory, I create a lot of buildings which develop gold, some wonders can help like Big Ben or Hulicarnassus and of course, the social policies Commerce can be helpful too. In the end : Gold - Sciences - Culture = Science FTW.
    After, it can depend of the civilization you're playing, if you are playing Korea or Babylon, the science victory should be openly easy. If you have difficulties on this kind of victory, maybe you just play an innapropriate Civilization like Mongolia.

3. myclan

myclan Chieftain

I think the price of spaceship parts is suitable now, they are just too cheap before fall patch making Order and Freedom level 3 tenet useless

4. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Chieftain

Freedom level 3 + Big Ben + Mercantilism = 1 650 gold a spaceship part.

5. Tony.Uk

Tony.Uk TonyUK

Have not used that combo yet. Whenever I have tried Freedom I get swamped by the AI
    using autocracy with over 20 cities. this time I have 12+ cities using autocracy, have the most culture, tourism, and way ahead in science, but I cannot complete the tech tree by 2050. To build an SS Cockpit in my highest hammer city (around 100), takes about 18 turns!! I am at turn 2034 on Epic speed with Big Ben. Still another 30 turns
    to Nanotechnology. Looks like I will get a points victory maybe. 7 of my cities are puppets. I used to get boring SV regularly but now the turn times are far too long.
    Not sure whether Epic speed takes you past year 2050 though.

6. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

I have a hard time getting a ship built in under 300 turns in bnw, but it's not the hammer cost of the parts, it's the tech costs. They must have made late game techs alot more expensive.

7. Callonia

Callonia Chieftain

Well I hammered all the six parts for spaceship in 22 turns on king difficulty despite my civ being an autocratic one. No way I was going to just let AI beat me too easily.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=523229

I think their costs as it is currently is just fine and right as it is so that it feels like an accomplishment.

8. edunavas

edunavas Chieftain

I just made the parts and can´t win, do we have to do something else?

9. Teproc

Teproc Chieftain

You have to bring them to your capital, and there's an action available that says "send into space" or something to that effect (probably "add to the spaceship" actually).

As far as the OP goes : yes, spaceship parts are more expensive to produce than before. They're also all the same cost now, I think boosters were cheaper than the others before.

10. Tony.Uk

Tony.Uk TonyUK

I should add that I had 1515 beakers near the game end, and I still could not get all the parts, though I did get a points win by around 500 lead. But I found this unsatisfying. No other civ went for a space win. It seems to me they have made this aspect of the game much harder, but when? I feel something has changed since the fall patch.

BTW having Alex in your game and out of harms way is very frustrating. He buys up nearly all the CS and I constantly have to buy back at ever larger sums of money! Not sure I want to move back to King right now. With 1500+ beakers I used to win on King most times, wish I could see a change-log of where this changed.

11. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Freedom induced Space ship victory was far too easy prior to that patch. Before that patch, I had a game as Venice in which I made enough cash to cash buy all but one spaceship part.

However, since they wanted to keep it even with normal production, hand building became 2X as expensive as well. :(

But that part doesn't really matter; tech discovery of the very last space ship part is normally the bottle neck; not gold nor hammers.(So if you have enough cash for rushing 1 spaceship part [the very last one] , it's just as good as being able to cash rush 3; also going Order you just need 1 Great Engineer as well, again hold for the very last part.)
    The only time that hammers or gold might instead be a bottle neck is someone hoarding GS and waiting to bulb them so late they actually run out of spaceship techs.

12. adwcta

adwcta Chieftain

Eh, they doubled the gold and hammer costs of spaceship parts in the fall patch, but it's still far too cheap. Every time I go Freedom, it's a foregone conclusion that I'll have enough gold by the endgame to buy every single spaceship part... even now... without Big Ben, or any gold-saving policy. They should treat spaceship parts as units instead of buildings (base 4.5x-ish hammer cost in gold, instead of a 1:1 ratio). That way, they wouldn't need to double anything.

The problem is late-game gold is far too easy to get if you have sea-international trade routes, and since you don't need to grow anymore, or build anything anymore, you can just trade-post spam all your cities starting ~50 turns before you hit the last spaceship part to turbo-charge your economy. It's also easier to do on Deity than on lower difficulties. Gold and science are just more plentiful on Deity.

13. BuzWeaverCiv

BuzWeaverCiv Chieftain

In another thread I mentioned how Science is still an elusive win for me on King difficulty. You guys make it seem like a walk in the park. I've tried a lot of different tech builds/wonders and generating cash, but the Civ's just way out Tech me. The closes I've gotten was my last game, but I still would have needed at least 33 more turns to have won.

14. Aaron90495

Aaron90495 Chieftain

This wasn't changed in the fall patch, but nobody has mentioned the 5% tech cost with each new city. That means, for example, 1500 beakers doesn't go as far as it used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. joncnunn

Plenty of other threads have mentioned the science penalty. 5% is on standard and smaller maps.

For any empire size within reason, your next city will still be able to pay for itself as long as you build the science buildings.

16. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Chieftain

1300 bpt are enough for sub T280 SV. I use to build a spaceship parts between 6 to 10 turns. It's not more than 15 to 20 turns to complete entire spaceship. Spaceship factory and Nuclear/Solar plant help a lot. Juste don't forget to lock as many prod tiles as you can. With order save an engineer for the last part.

17. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

There's still a difference between "paying for itself" and "making a surplus". Before, we were talking about founding new cities giving you better science. Now, we are talking about new cities not giving us worse science. And no matter whether new cities can "pay" for themselves or not, the 5% per city still means that beaker cost of techs will be higher - so all other things being even, science WILL be slower post science-per-city penalty, even if you play OCC.

18. joncnunn

This was added with BNW itself and not the patch. The AI got a 15% discount in science handicap to go along with it. (Bigger discount than a human playing Settler would)

Globally slowing down science though is probably a good thing overall considering that games are often over around 1900 AD instead of 2000.

19. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

I don't disagree with you that slowing science was good - the point I wanted to made was that your post above came across as (or at least could be read like) saying that the changes in BnW had no overall effect of science speed - which it will have (at least for human player).

20. Tony.Uk

Tony.Uk TonyUK

Does the 5% penalty apply to puppets as well, or not?