1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Spaceship victory stolen?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by LincolnOfRome, Jan 31, 2013.

1. LincolnOfRome

LincolnOfRome Glutton for Punishment

I complete every single part of my spaceship and launch in 1952. The screen says "10 turns to victory!" Joao lauches his spaceship in 1953. Nine turns later, the screen says 1 turn to victory!" I press enter to end the turn...

...the screen says, "Joao II has won a spaceship victory!"

How did Joao get there in eight years?

Does AI have quicker spaceships?

Is it possible to skip some parts and have a faster ship?

2. kossin

kossin Deity

Nope to all questions.

Typical answer is: you got the notice 1t later, but the spaceship was already launched.

3. LincolnOfRome

I got notice two turns later (as you would expect from a ship launched one turn later), not one turn later.

The log shows:

I completed my last part in 1952 and launched.

Joao was still building parts in 1953.

-----Edit-----

I was mistaken about launching in 1952. I was just going off my end-of-games logs that showed my last part completed in 1952.

4. LincolnOfRome

Kossin, thanks for the response and I'm sure you know what you are talking about. A lot of people get notified between turns after their lauch, and think they beat the AI. I have proof in the logs that the AI was still building the year after I launched.

I played through the last turns a couple times and got the same results. I lauched in 1952, and the AI lauched a year later. But I didn't get notified between 1952 and 1953 (same turn), I got a notification that he launched between 1953 and 1954. If you look at the log, you will see my last part built in 1952. You will also see that Joao built a part in 1953.

It is possible that it might have been a buggy game. It was allowing me to build cities much closer together than I would expect:

I uploaded a save from where it was letting me build a city next to the capital. I also uploaded saves showing that Joao was still building his ship a turn after I completed mine. The files require the Buffy 3.19.003 mod.

Attached Files:

5. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

Maybe you didn't build all thrusters because you had one in queue somewhere. That'd prevent you from selecting thruster as a build and make you think all parts were built. I think every thrustur missing slows your SS by 2T.

6. LincolnOfRome

I don't think so. I thought 10 years was the minimum when you have all the parts (until Joao made it in eight).

In the case of ties between the AI and player, does the AI win?

7. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

Player in civ plays first in the same turn.
    If you get notice Joao has launched a spaceship in your turn (1953AD), that means Joao has launched 1952AD.

You lost by 1T.

8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

IIRC it's possible to lose a tie, as well as win it. It is legit possible to launch the same year and I don't think it auto gives either the win.

Regardless, this is an example of the worst part of the entire civ series: UI and Engine. People keep insisting these things aren't major issues, despite massive volumes of evidence to the contrary.

9. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Those city placements are fine btw. It's 3 tiles when on the same continent, but when off-land, it's only 2 tiles, probably to make it easier to settle small islands and such, like the example in the screenshot.

10. LincolnOfRome

I think my point has been that it wasn't a tie. The log clearly shows that I finished my cockpit in 1952. Joao didn't finish his cockpit until 1953:

11. LincolnOfRome

Wow, thanks. That is great to know. It might be worth settling those little islands with access to seafood resources you might not otherwise get.

Anyways,

I logs show I completed a year before Joao. I verified that my spaceship had all parts and lauched right away. The system message said there were ten years to victory.

12. VoiceOfUnreason

VoiceOfUnreason Deity

A code dive may be called for.

My memory is fuzzy, but google plus wikipedia back my memory that the original victory condition for a space win was the launch, rather than the arrival. The whole "ten more turns mechanic" being a BTS addition.

Perhaps they changed the timing of the victory without changing the condition? So the game ends when the first ship successfully reaches Alpha Centauri, but the candidate winners are all civs who have launched? So you got coin flipped even though the AI rocket was a turn behind you?

13. kossin

kossin Deity

You lost to a tie. Sorry, it's 50/50 :(
    Spoiler :

In the future, just raze his capital :devil: It cancels the spaceship.

EDIT: the interesting part to note, however, is that the AI is able to launch on the IBT when it completes its last part.

14. VoiceOfUnreason

VoiceOfUnreason Deity

Clever that the playback log seems to hide the cheat. Nice catch.

15. LincolnOfRome

"IBT"? What's that? Are you saying that the AI is able to launch the turn he completes his ship, but the player has to wait until the next turn after he completes his ship? Is that what happened?

16. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

That's what it looks like. Presumably the ibt is counted as the same turn for the AI. Bit shabby.

17. kossin

kossin Deity

IBT: in-between-turn

Basically, yes, the AI is able to launch 1t earlier than a human would.

It's done based on the defined order of production and actions of the AI. For the human, production completes at the end of the turn (when you hit enter), but for the AI it's before they are completely done (before they hit enter).

18. LincolnOfRome

When I went through the game log at the end and saw that I had built my last part the year before the AI did, I felt a bit ripped off. I knew that he finished his last part after I did. I assumed that a tie would go to the human like it does in many games. I was sure there was some kind of trick that he used to make his spaceship faster than mine and I wanted to know what it was.

Thank you for clearing this up. We didn't tie, I built my last part the year before the AI did. I didn't realize that we launched the same year because of an AI cheat. Because the AI can be a year late and still "tie" the human, it makes sense that such a "tie" should go to the human player (since it really isn't a tie at all). Still, the AI has many advantages (such as half-price upgrades) even at noble level. I guess it is just par for the course.

19. FlyinJohnnyL

FlyinJohnnyL You need more workers....

You really should be launching before the 1950s on emperor (I think you said you play emperor, right?)

Chalk it up to a learning experience, and take out his capital next time. You've got nothing better to do those 10 turns anyway....

20. Bellringer

Bellringer Chieftain

Use my spreadsheet to plan the production and see how much faster you can make it!