Spaceship victory stolen?

You really should be launching before the 1950s on emperor (I think you said you play emperor, right?)

Chalk it up to a learning experience, and take out his capital next time. You've got nothing better to do those 10 turns anyway....
This particular game was emperor level. I had to play three games at emperor with the same settings (terra, dutch, 9 civs) before I got a space victory. I finally won today in 1936. I bulbed education at 600 AD, but it wasn't until 1200 AD or so that I got Oxford up. I had to raise Mansa's capital so I wouldn't get a cultural loss.
Use my spreadsheet to plan the production and see how much faster you can make it!
I'll try, but I think espionage is the real killer. By the 1900's, several AI's had their spies destroying space parts left and right until I bumped the espionage slider real high and built all the espionage buildings in my commerce cities.

I'll try, but I think espionage is the real killer. By the 1900's, several AI's had their spies destroying space parts left and right until I bumped the espionage slider real high and built all the espionage buildings in my commerce cities.

Putting the espionage slider high doesn't help much in itself - it does raise the cost of opposing missions some, but nowhere near as much as running the counter-espionage mission yourself every 10 turns (dirt cheap in EP, and always succeeds).
The Security Bureau has some defensive effect, although IIRC you get the same for much cheaper by leaving your own spy in each city. (Also allows your minor cities to provide defense for your high-production part-builders.)

Having spies in every city (border cities by 1 AD--others later) has been part of my strategy. During recent games I have been running more counter espionage. Simutaneously, I might have been raising my slider higher than I needed. "Spread culture" probably has a negligible effect to slow down a neighbor's cultural victory anyway. Still, it is nice to see where a neighbor is producing spaceship parts to sabatoge them. I'll try those strategies alone with the slider at 10% instead of 50% and see if it is just as effective. I can't really afford to raise the slider until the spaceship techs are researched anyways.

Ultimately, I would like to learn how to get my beakers high sooner so I can get my spaceships launched before my adversaries get all the nice espionage techs at the end.

It is possible that it might have been a buggy game. It was allowing me to build cities much closer together than I would expect:

That's working as intended. You can build cities as close together as you like if they're on different landmasses.

Top Bottom