Spain *not* nerfed *after all*

Harv72b

Prince
So I started a game as Isabella earlier this afternoon, and the bonus for discovering natural wonders went down to 250 gold (from 500). And if you're not the first one to find it, you're only getting 50 gold now.

Didn't think to do a screen cap but it's easy enough to verify. Hopefully this means something's coming along shortly for Austria (or already has).

EDIT: It went back to normal. Still have no idea why it did that, but false alarm.

Last night I noticed that it was 500 gold to marry a city, but maybe speed affects that. I don't remember if I played quick or not the first time. It was like 320 gold then.

Also, was there even a patch yet? I don't remember seeing anything about one.

Also, was there even a patch yet? I don't remember seeing anything about one.

I didn't see one & wasn't aware of downloading anything, but all of a sudden I'm getting half the gold I used to get as Isabella so something's different. :lol:

Re: What I meant about Austria...it seems like Isabella's quick-start potential & Austria's unlimited ability to buy city states for the price of a settler were two of the most commonly cited OP items. I had a game with Spain where I started next to the Rock of Gibraltar and about 10 tiles away from the Great Barrier Reef...that was 1500 gold into my coffers within the first 20 turns.

Re: What I meant about Austria...it seems like Isabella's quick-start potential & Austria's unlimited ability to buy city states for the price of a settler were two of the most commonly cited OP items. I had a game with Spain where I started next to the Rock of Gibraltar and about 10 tiles away from the Great Barrier Reef...that was 1500 gold into my coffers within the first 20 turns.

Ah, okay. I think I see what you mean. Austria does take a while to get going though (although I confess to not having tried them out yet, but a few people have mentioned this). I think limiting the number of times Austria can annex would make them rather dull, but we could always just increase the cost for marriages.

This makes sense. I'm playing a game as Spain right now and I found the natural wonder that gives 2 food 6 faith close by. 500 gold gave me a settler to go and settle it immediately, so a few turns into the game and I'm producing 4 food and 12 faith per turn from 1 tile in my second city, not broken at all. :rolleyes:

I love playing as the spanish civ, but i never have any luck with them finding any close natural wonders... I think its very rare that their bonus pays off, so i dont think its "broken" or "op" at all.

Well never mind...just started a new game & random leader turned into Isabella, and now it's giving me 500 gold again. Difficulty level might have something to do with it...this game is on 4 but the game earlier was on 3.

Either way, I just popped 1,000 gold for the GBR on turn 4. :rolleyes:

Well never mind...just started a new game & random leader turned into Isabella, and now it's giving me 500 gold again. Difficulty level might have something to do with it...this game is on 4 but the game earlier was on 3.

Either way, I just popped 1,000 gold for the GBR on turn 4. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that to get the maximum gold bonus you have to discover it FIRST.

Spain is not guaranteed to get a broken start but the fact that you could potentially get gold for a settler at turn 2 or 3 in a game and then get to work that natural wonder for double yield gives them the potential to be the most broken civ in the game imo.

Spain is delightfully random, which is half the fun of playing it.

I still remember first finding el dorado one game on around turn 10, talk about the mother of broken starts.

If you play a game as Spain with a teammate, I think you split the gold with them, but either player can find the wonder. So you might have accidentally had an AI teammate... this is all speculation because I have played Spain 5-6 times with GK and every time I got the full gold bonus for finding first.

Against humans... Spain is overwhelmingly strong if you have a wonder near your start. Buy settler, settle the wonder get crazy things like +4 food and +8 faith from Urulu... all this by turn 12. On turn 20 I founded a religion!!! The +4 food as the first tile worked made it grow so much it was like having TWO capitals for most of the game... :eek:

Absolutely not. It is still 500 gold for finding the wonder first, and 100 for being the subsequent finder.

Were you playing on a Quick game, a modded game, or with a teammate as stated above?

(or was this game patched from earlier today?)

I'm getting this information from the XML files. It's 100% accurate.

I was playing on standard speed, and then I saw the 250 gold again playing on marathon as well. I did have one mod running (unlimited XP from barbarians), but I run that mod most of the time & haven't had an issue with it before...it was also running in the game where it went back to normal & gave me the superstart.

Like I said, only difference I could see was that I'd been playing on level 3 earlier today, then went back to level 4. I didn't even look at the advanced settings, so if I somehow wound up on a team with an AI then that was a glitch in itself.

I am sorry for any confusion I might have have caused here. I didn't post the thread until I'd seen it happen two different times during two different starts. It's just weird.

Spain is ridiculously hit or miss. For every "I found GBR on turn 4" there's 20 "I didn't find a single natural wonder first Spain sucks!!!" games.

Spain human players are abundant in mp games. Hit or miss like some said. If no nat. wonders around they become a sub-par civ. It's also at this moment that a spain player can quit the game too :mischief:

Putting Muskets/Tercios on the swords upgrade line actually made Spain better, didn't it?

Top Bottom