1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Spain

Discussion in 'Leader Balance' started by void_genesis, Jan 2, 2015.

1. azum4roll

azum4roll Prince

I thought Celtic cities only generates no foreign religious pressure. They do generate their own religion's religious pressure to pressure foreign cities.

2. Thibix Magnus

Thibix Magnus Chieftain

replacing auto-convert with a good discount on inquisitors (or free inquisitors on founding/conquest) would make for an interesting change in the main vox populi, with more active and varied uses and allowing to at least use the actual unit.

3. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Emperor

What the Celts and Spain have in common is that they don't receive foreign religious pressure. They could be surrounded by other religions and, as long as they have Inquisitors in all their cities, there won't be a single foreign religion follower in any of those city.

The difference is that Spanish cities still generate religious pressure while Celtic cities generates no pressure towards any cities except their own. In terms of spreading religion, Spain has missionaries, Great Prophets, their own cities and foreign cities that adopted their religion while the Celts only have missionaries, Great Prophets and foreign cities that adopted their religion.

4. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

The change to city defense mechanics means that faith buying castles on a forward settle, or instant-buying on a new conquest is now even more of a threat. Not only is it harder to take the city, but +18:c5rangedstrength:RCS on a city is very potent.

EDIT:
    legit wondering, at this point, if @tu_79 isnt onto something? Maybe Spain should get the bull ring as an arena replacement? You could even keep all the same bonuses as the current mission ( :c5faith:faith purchase, religious resistance, :c5faith::c5gold: on :c5citizen: birth), just remove the city defence. G just took a massive swing at how city defence works, and while I think it\'s a vast improvement on the old system, I can’t reconcile having an instant castle as a mechanic with this new paradigm.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  5. zeofig

zeofig Chieftain

Yeah, it's powerful, but you're only going to do it in a consequential way at most a couple of times per game. And even if you get the free castle, it's still only a size 1 city. It's not an army-destroyer. Lots of civs have "cheese moments" like this. It isn't game-breaking and to me it makes Spain's gameplay more unique (not to say it wasn't already good).

SuperNoobCamper and Tantro like this.
  6. HungryForFood

HungryForFood Prince

Should let the city defense mechanic settle first, before thinking of individual civs.

tu_79, kenneth1221, CrazyG and 2 others like this.
  7. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Yep. I'm no fan of the mission, you know, I don't feel it makes culturally sense, but better to make the changes with a clear mindset.

8. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

So I just ran into something I wasn't aware of until now. Apparently, City-States that are allied to Spain cannot be affected by Missionaries as the CS "acquires" Spain's UA. Is this intentional? It completely butchered one of my games as Spain got some lucky quests for CS near me and I couldn't spread my religion at all.

9. Omen of Peace

Omen of Peace Prince

Yes, it's intentional. It's been like that for a while.

Spain is a fearsome religious rival.

Rhys DeAnno likes this.
  10. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

My bad - should have looked at Spain's UA a little closer. Thanks!