1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Spam from never-really-constructable buildings in city screen

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Koshling, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

As the game develops your city screen (assuming you don't hide unconstructable buildings) gets very cluttered with greyed-out buildings you cannot choose to construct.

Now, I for one like to keep unconstructable buildings showing so that I can see what I WOULD be able to construct if I took certain actions (changed civic, got some resource, built some pre-req, etc.).

However, with some recent changes (late V15 I think) there has been an explosion in the number of buildings that are unconstructable and likely to forever remain so. This is because a huge number of buildings now require vicinity bonuses (different flowers or fruit orchards for example).

What I would like to do (simple code change) is to slightly modify what gets shown (when hide unconstructable is not set) to omit things with unmet vicinity requirements (which [aside from Great Farmers at least] you cannot influence anyway). It's easiest for me to just change the code to do this unconditionally, but if people desperately want to see all these other unconstructable buildings please scream and I'll make it a global-define option like I did for alpha-sorting.

2. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Personally I put "hide unconstructable" on so I suppose it would not matter to me. I already know what needs what (since i made most of them) and can look it up in the civpedia if I forget. I also think hiding them makes it more fun for people since they can get surprised if a rare building pops up as an option to build.

3. EldrinFal

EldrinFal Chieftain

I keep the uncontructables shown because I want to know what I need to work TOWARDS. In my current game (which I upgraded to v16) for example I just got the Cannery available as a potential build, but couldn't make it because I didn't have a Factory. I would never have known the Cannery was available nor that I needed a Factory to make it unless I had that grayed button there. (I don't review every building and unit I can make when I get a new tech)

There are so many buildings now that I can't keep their requirements all in my head, and it is more confusing when things change over time (such as the Power Lines no longer providing power).

I like Koshling's idea though. Especially if he filters out buildings that require resources in the vicinity. There are like 2 rows of agricultural buildings and then another 2 rows of flowers that I have to scroll past when I am setting up city queues. It would be nice to remove those since the likelihood of getting them is slim to none.

4. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

I'd have to agree with all of you, i keep units and buildings from hiding also, just to see whats available, but with this NEW change that would help out way better IMHO.

5. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Chieftain

Sounds like a good idea to me. Those buildings will pop up when you get the third plot in radius since that is what happens now if you hide unconstructables. So I see no down side.

6. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Change pushed to SVN

7. velosepappe

velosepappe Chieftain

I just jumped from the first post to posting this, so I apologise for things that have been said before.

I wonder if it is possible to immediately select a building to be built but that has a yet to be constructed building as a requisite. The way this could work is similar as the selection of a tech that is further down the tech tree: a queue is made of earlier techs that are requisites to the tech you want to research finally. This way you could also make queues for new cities that you can lod with ctrl+# without having to recheck every few turns.

EDIT:I like the idea of hiding buildings that wouldnt be constructable in any reasonable way because of neighbourhood plot/resource requirements. Maybe it would be good if not complicated to show a list of buildings that would be unlocked if said plot/resource were to occur within the city limits (great farmers/terraforming)

8. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Here ...

- Bonus Crops
    - Bonus Minerals

I would have showed the animal related ones but they are old an outdated.

9. velosepappe

velosepappe Chieftain

:lol: I meant ingame. But thanks anyway :goodjob:

10. Snofru1

Snofru1 Chieftain

That´s an excellent idea which I fully support :thumbsup: ! It would reduce a lot of micromanagement if you could make build queues for buildings that need other buildings as a prerequisit. E.g. telephone lines are needed for many other buildings and it would be great if they could be queued automatically if you want to have computer networks.

11. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

It's quite a lot of work, so its a definate maybe, sometime ;-)