1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Spanish basketball team caught in offensive ad?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DBear, Aug 12, 2008.

1. DBear

DBear unbeliever

linky

excerpt:
    see piccy below:

I'm going to call Hanlon's Razor on this and say that they were just stupid. But as the writer correctly says, "Did it not occur to somebody that it might not be a good idea to mock an entire continent before the world's largest athletic competition that, by the way, happens to take place on that continent."

2. holiday_hawk

holiday_hawk King

They really should have thought about it before they did it, i lol'ed when I saw it but I'm sure the most populous continent did not...

3. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

Pft. For Spanish athletes, that's mild. You should see their Football games.

4. EweezE

EweezE Dog Soldier

What can the Spanish basketball team hope to accomplish anyhow? They will be up against America and Lebron James! Why not have some fun in a photo shoot and off court activities if you're the Spanish basketball team? I mean since their on court activities are the real joke.

5. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

I laughed, then felt kind of bad.

But the dude is write...how stupid can these guys get?

6. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

On a serious note: It's not right what they did. It's freaking grade school material, for crying out loud. None of them are even smiling or anything! At least have fun while you're being prejudiced! Sheesh!

On a silly note: Me chinee, me play joke, me go pee-pee in your coke.

7. general_kill

general_kill Deity

That was a ******** move but racism against asians is no where near as offensive or controversial as racism against blacks or Jews. Can you imagine if the Olympics took place in Israel and the Spanish team all reached their right arm out in a heil hitler salute? Or if they made fun of any Black stereotype?

Sure they were dumb, but as far as dumb moves go, they actually made one of the smarter ones.

8. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Am I the only one who can't see anything offensive at all on the pic? Are asians sensitive about their eyes or something?

"Mocking" an entire continent? Come on! More like a very innocent joke.

9. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

How the hell is a grade school joke innocent?

10. general_kill

general_kill Deity

You probably aren't the only one, but do you honestly not understand how that picture can be offensive?

Ok, they are not mocking the Asians, then tell me what they are doing when they slant their eyes like that.

11. luiz

Uh, the Olympics are in China, and the chinese have eyes like that. They are immitating chinese people in a goofy manner.

I see absolutely no harm in that. Over here when people advertise for japanese restaurants they have guys on TV with funny japanese accents and fake slanted eyes. So what?

How is the fact that they are slanting their eyes mean that they are in any way making derogatory comments about asians?

12. Arwon

Arwon

There's no misunderstanding here, they were fairly obviously doing the eye slanty thing. In my experience Spanish folks aren't necessarily the most enlightened when it comes to racism, even though it's mostly (for now) a harmless sort of racism that doesn't translate into xenophobia. I found it particularly with Asians, whom they don't have all that much contact with as of yet. Hopefully they learn a bit of tact.

Also, Luiz, those ads sound pretty horrible to me. Cringeworthy, in a "look at us, we're backwards retards" sort of way. Like putting on blackface to advertise your fried chicken and watermelon.

13. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Pretty ignorant statement. Spain is prob. the 2nd best basketball team at the Olympics, and they may very well beat the Americans in the pool stage.

14. luiz

Nah, some are quite funny.

In fact a Chinese delivery restaurant, run by chinese people, has a buch of adds like that.

I can't even begin to understand how that offends anyone. Personally I laugh when I see people immitating cariocas in the rest of Brazil, or brazilians abroad. It never occured to me that they were actually mocking my entire people in a racist manner. Maybe I should have screamed and cried? Seems like a popular thing to do among you guys.

15. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

This reminds me, does Lithuania have an olympic basketball team?

16. general_kill

general_kill Deity

Thank you, I will stop wasting my time with someone who is obviously too culturally sheltered and ignorant to understand the discussion being held in this thread.

Btw, just because I don't find something offensive, it doesn't stop me from understanding why that something CAN be offensive to someone else. I don't find the confederate flag offensive because frankly, I've never even seen one in real life before, but I can understand why some Blacks in my country find it offensive because the Confederate fought the Civil War to keep the blacks enslaved.

17. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Yes they do, and a decent one. I don't think they're a threat to medal this year, but they aren't terrible. They beat the United States in 2004 I think, but the US beat them like a drum a few weeks before these games.

18. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

They should be shunned and fined and stripped of any accomplishments they have made then they should have to go on an apology tour.

19. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

I've got a Lithuanian friend who told me about the big basketball tradition they have there. He also told me the NBA has a lot of Lithuanian players, so maybe there are some on the USA team.

20. EweezE

EweezE Dog Soldier

So you're putting your money on Spain? Cool. Get ready to lose it, cause Lebron and the US can't be stopped!