1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Spanish Civil War Suggestions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by Tboy, Jun 9, 2008.

1. sk8er AG

sk8er AG Chieftain

i think giving units is a workable idea but shouldnt the nation giving get there units that arent destroyed back w/ increased xp points?

2. notque

notque Artificially Intelligent

Another potent idea would be to have the Republican side lose several food resources at the split, and have cities large enough that this caused problems.

A large issue in the war was that the geography of Spain made it so the Nationalists had the majority of food, while the Republic starved.

And then another idea I think would make sense would be to have the Republic "draft" troops that are weaker, while the Nationalists would not have such ability. This would include the Women fighting, the International brigades fighting, and the general ease of which troops, although lacking many weapons, were available to the republicans.

I remember, I think it was Civ 3 where you could draft troops that were weaker. I don't remember if that's in Civ 4, but it would work quite well to indicate the differences in a dynamic way.

3. notque

Another great idea would be to have the Nationalists as Christians, and the Republicans without religion, ideally with the civic.

The Republicans should have no churches or religion of any kind. The Nationalists should have church buildings.

4. notque

Another thing on resources, the Nationalists should send mining resources to Germany, they required it for their war machines, and Spain supported them.

If say, the Nationalists lose in Road to War, Germany would have to find new resources to build.

5. notque

And they shouldn't be called fascists, they were a Christian Conservative Dictatorship. They only pretended to be Fascist in propaganda, with only one actual fascist policy. The Falange (the Spanish fascist party) were isolated and ignored after the war.

6. Dale

Dale Chieftain

In case you hadn't noticed, religion does not exist in RtW.

According to wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Civil_War everyone "referred to them as the Fascists or Francoists".

They had philosophys of dictatorship, nationalism, centralisation and the ellimination of beauracracy. They also were hard-line anti-communist.

All traits of Fascism.

7. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

Another great suggestion would be putting all of your suggestions in one post :)

8. notque

Religion does not exist, but it should. It was an important part.

Everyone referred to them as Fascists but it was propaganda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falange

(I think we could use wikipedia to counter arguments all day. Funny how that works.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Franco

"Although Franco and Spain under his rule adopted some trappings of fascism, he, and Spain under his rule, are not generally considered to be fascist; among the distinctions, fascism entails a revolutionary aim to transform society, where Franco and Franco's Spain did not seek to do so, and, to the contrary, although authoritarian, were conservative and traditional. Stanley Payne, the preeminent scholar on fascism and Spain notes: "scarcely any of the serious historians and analysts of Franco consider the generalissimo to be a core fascist". The consistent points in Franco's long rule included above all authoritarianism, nationalism, the defence of Catholicism and the family, anti-Freemasonry, and anti-Communism."

9. notque

I'm not hurting anything by adding a ton of random information in the thread.

At worst, if I'm ignored posting in here, what's the harm?

I know a bit of coding myself, I'm considering editing the situations to be historically accurate on my own accord taking Road to War, and focusing solely on the Spanish Civil War.

10. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

The issue with adding religion is really twofold. One; since it's not in RtW at the moment, it would be difficult to put back in and would not work well with the current setup (I think)
    Two; What would be the purpose? Sure, it is historically accurate, but it wouldn't change gameplay one bit except to create the problem of adding another ideaology.

11. notque

Reasonable response.

I'm just tossing things around. If they don't make sense, explain why. I'm likely to agree after I've considered it some more.

It's the accuracy / gameplay trade off. So far, The Spanish Civil War has very little accuracy in the sense that there isn't any actual detail to it.

An extremely high view without detail.

So an example that would be valuable. Resources.

Germany required Spanish Nationalist resources.

The principle resource was wolfram (or tungsten) ore from German-owned mines in Spain. Wolfram was essential to Germany for its advanced precision engineering and therefore for armament production. Despite Allied attempts to buy all available supplies, which rocketed in price, and diplomatic efforts to influence Spain, supplies to Germany continued until August 1944. Payment for wolfram was effectively set against the Spanish debt to Germany. Other minerals included iron ore, zinc, lead and mercury.

Thus, the resource could be added to Spain, as well as other countries as be relied on for Germany for building units. Whatever is historically accurate.

Is that a reasonable addition that would add to gameplay and accuracy?

12. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Here are some points to consider:

1. Religion was replaced with Ideology. In the era covered, what was more important? Ideology!
    2. SCW is a prelude to World War II. What is this Mod about? World War II (not SCW).
    3. There is already a great SCW Mod existing, 1936 Spain.

13. sk8er AG

sk8er AG Chieftain

hate to sound cluelss but i didnt kno theres a scw mod any info on how to download is welcome

14. Dale

Dale Chieftain

15. sk8er AG

sk8er AG Chieftain

i think adding religion to the game is a good idea. but what about adding more types of ideology. werent certian countries still under monarchy rule.
    Also shouldnt there be more than one ideology in some cities, many in eastern europe liked the idea of communism.

16. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

That's going to be the case in the Huge Europe map.

17. notque

18. sk8er AG

sk8er AG Chieftain

yea noticed that about 3.13 patch

19. Tboy

Tboy Future world ruler

A point to consider - I got this event just now in my game as the UK, a leftover from the religious random events, and it could be tweaked slightly to represent foreign aid:

Attached Files:

20. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

Great idea!