Spanish Civil War ToT graphics

Fairline

Emperor
I've just completed a set of graphics for Pablostuka's Spanish Civil War scenario which I started maybe five or six years ago. Catfish has made a conversion to ToT which can be found here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13298

Terrain is from a variety of sources, including Catfish, favfly and Curt, cities are by Curt and Nemo, units, people, some terrain are by me.

Attachments

• ToT SCW gfx fairline.rar
    374.7 KB · Views: 223
  • 1.png
    1.png
    396.8 KB · Views: 1,024
  • 2.png
    2.png
    295.7 KB · Views: 957
  • 3.png
    3.png
    264.9 KB · Views: 1,275
Excellent graphics! Finally you're done! :D

Outstanding! A while ago I played Jerec (IIRC) in a head to head game of this scenario over at Civ Webring. Afterwards I decided to make an updated ToT version that would enhance the multiplayer experience. In the end that project stalled, partly due to a lack of suitable units. Now that excuse is removed I will put this modification back on my project list!

Gareth

There are a few units I would like to add, mostly aircraft. I have adequate place holders to keep me going for now but a couple of brand new ones would be amazing! For the game itself I have a list of improvements suggested by Pablostuka, Jerec and myself to work through but the core of the game is excellent. I will just be tweaking, adding and improving. My aim is to create a superb multiplayer but it should still work very well in single player mode. With two events sets (one for each side) the single player game could be improved too.

I found several ToT Infantry units to add and here are the aircraft I modded. Any improvements would be welcome. The second and third from left are the He70 and He112. The three on the right are meant to be the Dewoitine D510, Fokker D.XXI (the Republicans were setting up a plant to produce them but it was overrun) and a Boeing P-26 (though I don't think many of these reached Spain).

PNG preview only:

I would happily accept any other aircraft or units you think need representing. Perhaps the Grumman GE-23, Curtiss Hawk IV, Dornier Do17, Fiat B.R.20, Fiat G.50 or any other aircraft you think are significant. I don't mind adding a few potential units for if the war drags on after 1939. I think Infantry (I found several ToT Spanish units in a previous collection), Artillery, Armour and Navy are pretty well covered but if there are any specific units you would like to add (Abraham Lincoln Btn?) that would add colour to the scenario then I won't stop you ;)

Any extra units would be appreciated but I can get on with the mod with what I have now so there is no pressure to . I'm happy for whatever I can get!

Attachments

• SCWAir.bmp
    77 KB · Views: 174
  • SCWAir.png
    SCWAir.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 830
Sounds good, I'll get on it. The only unit that springs to mind is the BT-5 for the republicans. Maybe also Condor Legion artillery in place of the infantry.

This site is goobd btw:

http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/drnash/model/spain/did.html

It might be an idea to have duplicate unit slots for the trubia, Breguet 19, Nieuport 51 and Potez 540 to allow separate republican and nationalist unit markings.

EDIT: Thinking about it a bit more, you've got to include thos funky armoured lorries that were emblematic of the Spanish Civil War

Attachments

• SCW Militia Armoured Lorry.jpeg
    SCW Militia Armoured Lorry.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 184
  • VEH006_R.jpg
    VEH006_R.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 288
Aaargh! I hate it when I type a long post then accidentally delete it :wallbash:

I love the idea of the Armoured Trucks. I remember seeing them crop up in the Yugoslav Civil War too (not the same ones of course!). The BT-5 would be a definate addition. I planned to add a generic Light AA cannon as well as a Mortar (did they get used much?) and MG unit for each side. These look Ok but could probably be improved a bit more by an expert. I found some additional Spanish Infantry units from another compilation that may come in handy if there are any spare slots left.

I think the Trubia will be fine with no markings or flag. The three aircraft will probably get away with their pre war markings too. I doubt they will survive very long anyway. I don't think there are enough additional unit slots to warrant doubling them up.

I am planning to give nearly all Infantry the Alpine flag to expand the fighting beyond the main roads. I also plan to make Infantry better in attack and restrict the number of special units like Tanks, Planes and Artillery. These will either be pre placed or given via events. Pablo said he was not satisfied with the existing unit events but as there was no ToT when he made the original he had to make do. I can now fix this.

I was thinking of using the Lend Lease idea I used in Fortress Europe to represent Soviet aid. The Soviet Freighters will have to run the gauntlet from the eastern edge of the map to the Republican ports. They can carry units but they will be able to attack a static/invincible barbarian unit and the resulting loss of the Freighter will give the Republican's gold or units via a unit killed event. This seems better than just disbanding the unit in port for its shield value.

Here's a preview of the MG and Mortars:

Attachments

• SCWAdd.bmp
    150.5 KB · Views: 187
  • SCWAdd.png
    SCWAdd.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 836
Thanks Ciaran. I think Civ2 longevity has rather a lot more to do with you scenario designers though :)

I second that. It also fought in the 1941 Iraq war against the British. A very interesting aircraft.

Top Bottom