Spanish Civil War ToT Mod

I have encountered a problem and I was hoping someone here would have a solution. A few weeks ago I put trench terrain under all of the Nationalist cities using the Engineer trick. I have just started to do the same for the Republican cities but they seem to require many more Engineers to do the same work and some cities never change, no matter how many engineers are used. I'm wondering if this could be to do with the techs the Republicans have. Any advice would be welcome!

Hi McM.

Some Tecs enable the Engineer Ability to Units, but thats written in Events.txt.
IF Tec X THEN Engineer Ability... you perhaps could try to take simply another Unit.
You changed already the Terrain Values for fast Terraforming, and now you could change
another Unit for Settler plus Engineer Ability.

By the Way, there is a Possibility to change the Human Player without Turn Losses.
Usually some Modders would change the Human Player by >Cheat >Set Human Player.
If you change the Human Player without following the Order, the AI Turns will move.
If you change the Human Player by following the Order, you have to go through, and
you will have ongoing Turns.

But if you change the View onto the Player you want, to save, to go back to Test of
Time Main Menu and to reload, you will get this chosen Player without Turn Losses.
-And by the Way you could work and play as the Barbarians too-

And perhaps you will just oversend your damned Scenario Save to let me try...

:)

Thanks for the ideas Nicheal, but I'm afraid they don't seem to be helping. This is a major problem I need to address. I tried swapping cities over to the Nationalists using CivCity but now their engineers also seem to be on a go slow! I could destroy the cities, change the terrain and then rebuild them, but that would be a huge amount of work and I would like to avoid that if possible. I'm sure it must be something up with the rules file but I can't see what I could have changed to start this problem. Alternatively it may be to do with the techs. Which ones specifically effect engineers abilities? Until I can sort this issue out the project will remain stalled. Can anyone help?

Shamed into action by Nichael's post I put in a big effort last night and this morning and I am now close to having trench terrain under all cities. I have about nine major Republican cities left to do (Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao etc...). This has been a very time consuming and frustrating exercise which I hope to avoid in the future by better planning. As this is a modification there was no way around it once the engineering trick failed. Once I have completed the trenches I should be able to crack on with my TO DO list, which is more a case of polishing the scenario than core changes. Just wanted to share this after a 6 month + stall!

I have hit a minor snag. When I destroyed and rebuilt cities like Madrid I lost the wonders. I don't seem to be able to restore them via the cheat menu. Is this something that can be fixed by hex editing, or is there a simpler solution?

Spoiler Useless Introduction :
I am VERY sorry... for have written such a... we in Germany say "Schimpf-Kanonade",
Insult-Cannonade, to insult all the Members of Civ2 Fanatics!!!
And to show me as an arrogant, out of touch, crazy, Misanthropy Guy!!!
But my Arrogance and the whole Thread was thought to introduce my new Concept of Gameplay,
before i could be able to offer the whole done Scenario, if ever finished up, and if i WONT finish up ever,
to provoke all the Members to show their Progress in Creating, perhaps, their smooth new Scenarios,
so that we could, perhaps, work together, but was thought as JOKING Art... not as brutal Warfare!!!

But i was badly disappointed in real World, some Weeks ago, by a Bureaucrat kicking me badly,
and was disappointed for not getting Help in my Units-Request, not in Thread, and not in PM.
I will not need the Units, could do them by my own, did German Bundeswehr SPz Puma also,
but i was disappointed much, bla bla bla. What i wanted to say:

In my "Blood and Sieges" Scenario i forgot in one damned single Town, to place the Terrain
"Town", i think, under... so, cause my Engineer Trick did not happen, i had to do it whole new...

For that Case of darkest Hour, i have a "Settlers.SAV", and a "GameItself.SAV".
The Settlers.SAV includes the Map, and the Settlers placed on Town Squares. To found Cities,
i use two Tricks: The Game activates the next moveable Unit. Settler 1 founds Town 1,
Settler 2 Town 2. As i know the Activating Chronology, i create the City.txt List according to that.

I had to place in Blood and Sieges, cause of one single Town, everything new.
Thought "Damned german Perfection"!!! And did it.
It was a Town in Silesia, i think. And anyway, i had to place the whole Towns new,
cause of the better Gameplay, the better strategic Deployment.

So i place, for Example, the British. I found all Towns, and rewrite the City.txt List in Order to.
I think to replace for better Deploy, replace the Settlers in Settlers.SAV, and make clic clic clic.
Like a Mousetrap, clac clac clac, it goes. Cause i have the whole 255 Settlers on Squares,
and the City.txt List in Order to the Order of Foundations, i only need to replace, or Terrain Change
in Settlers.SAV, then, perhaps, cause the Distance changed, the next moveable Unit changed,
change the City.txt List in Order to the new Order of Foundations, and ready is the Settlers.SAV!

Improvements and Units, i place as Keyboard Combinations Copies.
The Nations and Leaders, and Diplomacy i try to do in Settlers.SAV already, cause the Settlers.SAV
is already a Scen.SAV, which saves every single Entry. The Settlers.SAV is my Zero-File in huge Scenarios.
And to lose no Turn-Times, you can change the Human Player by changing the View onto Player,
save, and reload the .SAV by quit to Main Menu, and reload out of Main Menu. So no Turn is lost,
no Progress in Buildings proceeded. So i change the Human Player by View-Save-Reload,
and make my clac clac clac. Every Change in Game could be done more or less simply.

But i know. Damned Faults can happen always, and anybody.

I have hit a minor snag. When I destroyed and rebuilt cities like Madrid I lost the wonders. I don't seem to be able to restore them via the cheat menu. Is this something that can be fixed by hex editing, or is there a simpler solution?

What do you mean? Kill Madrid, and ALL Wonders are gone, or only Wonders already built in Madrid?

When I destroyed Madrid the wonder that were in that city disapeared. The same with Bilbao, Barcelona etc... I thought I would be able to build them again via the city production menu but they don't appear there. I think it may need to be hex-edited. Typical, I fix one problem only to create another :wallbash:

Is there a friendly hex-editor out there who could help me out?

Damned BadAss Fault of you... that you could have known, Dude, that to kill a City with
Wonders within, deletes these Wonders completely out of Game!!!
Should have done "Delete Wonders" in City Menu first, so they are deleted out of that City,
and not out of Game. Therefor now you will need a friendly Hex-Editor, and damned huge Luck.
But if you would have a Backup, with including Wonders in Madrid, make "Delete Wonders" in City Menu
first, kill Madrid, and refound after changing the Terrain Square, that could be possible.

After every greater Step in my Work, i save my whole Scenario Folder as .RAR, onto my
16 GB USB Stick. Every greater Step has its Backups, and my Scenario.SAVs i do,
by doing Settlers.SAV as Zero File, by doing Scenario.SAV as Main Happening, but EVER,
in Blood and Sieges for Example, after every single new placed Fortress... and after
every Step, first a Reload, to delete all perhaps done Experiments and Faults, then a Done-Save.
And ever a Backup on USB Stick. Faults happen often, to everybody, thats the Nature of every Progress, it seems.

It seems you are in Trouble. That i thought already, that you might have surrendered
in front of damned BadAss Problems, which made you suffer in Despair.
For me as mad german Perfectionist, it would be no Option, no no no, to kill a City,
and found it new, in Game, that would cause, that the City.txt List would have to be changed.
Would it be such a Massacre, to create a brandnew Settlers.SAV? How many Cities includes your Scenario?
There cannot be much Effort! Spain only, perhaps 50 Cities max., Improvements, Units,
all that you can cheat in by Keyboard Combinations!!! You dont need thousand Clicks for
cheating Units in!!! If you got the Keyboard Combinations once, it is a Work about ten Minutes.

Another good Hint:
I place in my Scenario.SAV only Zero Units, only ever the same Number of Zero Defenders in Town.
To place the Garrison Town Units, or the Armies, i use the Events.txt ONLY.
So i have alternating Placements, and so i have never the same Game twice.
And i have only to tweak a damned Number in my Events.txt, to change the whole Thing.
Another Coordinates, another Number of Units, and just into Events.txt, without
ever and ever touching my Scenario.SAV, makes the Game itself more varied in Tactics,
and the Creator has much less Effort, cause once written, it is only a damned small Tweak!!!

My whole Settlers.SAV creates the Basics, Diplomacy, Tecs, Nations, Leaders, Dates, Map.
My whole Scenario.SAV is, in fact, a Zero File also, with founded Cities, Zero Unit Placements,
Zero Improvement Placements. All the Rest is Events.txt Tweaking ONLY.
To balance my Game, there is only necessary to tweak my Events.txt, and my two Zero Files,
Settlers and Scenario itself, are quite little Fun, done, and little Tweaks also.

You can economize your Modding, by doing Zero.SAV Management.
Yes, i have TIME, to do a Scenario like Blood and Sieges in one single Month!
But i also have Modding Economics, Experience, Knowledge, Fun, and Keyboard Combinations
for everything. Once learned, its much more... "easy"...

And perhaps, McM, you just oversend me your whole Stuff, and i will create
a Settlers.SAV and Scenario.SAV Zero Work for you... hopefully not, but...

Believe it or not I have also learned a thing or two about organization and planning over the last ten years I have been modding Civ2 ;) You don't have to be German to be efficient, though I'm sure that helps :D I do like your model of backups and layers of progress, could save a lot of time and effort in the long run!

Thanks for your offer of assistance, but I'm not going to start from scratch for the sake of one oversight. There is literally hundreds of hours of work that has gone into this scenario so far. Hopefully a kind hex-editor can dig me out of this hole.

There we have your Fault, Tommy!
To only learn one or two Things about Organization and Planning over TEN Years, was not enough,
we can see right now...

You don't have to be German to be efficient, though I'm sure that helps

You won the War, you must know it.

I do like your model of backups and layers of progress, could save a lot of time and effort in the long run!

That has nothing to do with "like", its simply necessary, cause i hate to do unnecessary Work,
no matter how damned long the long run would ever be... too long, i think.

but I'm not going to start from scratch for the sake of one oversight.

You dont have a Backup? Then, perhaps, your Effort continueing your Scenario Work,
and killing Madrid to finally being able to change the Terrain, was a damned... accidental Step!!!
Perhaps that "one oversight", was a damned... Killer. You tried to force your Effort continueing
your Scenario Work, by a huge Killer, perhaps. And, perhaps, there would be nothing other left to do...

Hm. Could it be, CivCity could edit in, Wonders? In the City/Building Slot? Its a Kind of a Hex Editor.

There is literally hundreds of hours of work that has gone into this scenario so far.

So what! Give me your Sources, and i will create a damned Copy of your whole .SAV.
These Hundreds of Hours of Work, that were your Sources, your Thoughts, that is already in!
Nothings to do, but place it new. No Sources, no Thoughts, just placing new. A simple, perfect Duplicate.

God knows, THAT Work i did often enough...

Again, thanks for the offer, but I won't take you up on it. I'm sure it is fairly simple to fix with hex editing. Even if I have to learn to hex edit and fix it myself, that is preferable to spending days or even weeks replacing every road, irrigation, unit and improvement. I have also made a lot of alterations to the map in game. Remember, this was not my original scenario. It is a modification of Pablostuka's original!

Puuu, thanx!!! I have enough to do, with my own Scenario!!!
CivCity seems not to work...

Even if I have to learn to hex edit and fix it myself, that is preferable to spending days or even weeks replacing every road, irrigation, unit and improvement.

Perhaps it will take even longer, to finally realise, that Hex-Editing by yourself failed... Thats no Joke, Dude.
Thats no Job, a Noob could do easily. As i told you:
To recreate a total Copy of your whole Scenario, would need not one single Day, for me. Ok, perhaps some more.
It sucks at each Time, but i did that, a few Times. You need to organize it, generally.

I have also made a lot of alterations to the map in game. Remember, this was not my original scenario. It is a modification of Pablostuka's original!

And you should remember, that you could export Map. Export Map, import in a new Game.
Screenshots. CivCity Improvements Comparison. Units by Keyboard Combinations.
End of that Story. If you wont find any Hex-Editor... it will be... heavy for you, without a new Scratch.
Sad! If the Engineer Trick would have striked, your Scen would already be ready at all, or?

@Drew,

Apologies for not replying more quickly. If a city is destroyed, any wonder in it is labelled as destroyed in the .SAV file and, consequently, cannot be rebuilt. However, it's no big deal to restore wonders by hex-editing. I'll be happy to fix your problems.

Easiest for me would be to change all destroyed wonders to unbuilt. Is that OK? If that is not best for you, I can place specific wonders in specific cities but this would require details of where you want each missing wonder.

In either case, post or e-mail me a copy of the .SAV file for a quick fix. :)

@Agri,

No need to apologise. Its good to hear from you! Just un-destroying the wonders will be great. It's no problem for me to rebuild them with the cheat menu. From now on I will start making more backups, though in this case I had done probably four plus hours work before I realised I had made a mistake, so hex-editing would still have been the preferred solution. Thanks a million!

Attachments

• SCWToT.sav
    280.6 KB · Views: 67
@Drew

Here she be. As I said - a piece of cake with a 20 minute turnaround. :)

I really appreciate that. I should really learn how to hex edit for myself one of these days :blush:

I'm working a night shift from home tonight due to "severe" snow (that's right, if it snows the UK stops!), but it seems pretty peaceful so far, touch wood. I'm hoping I can use this enforced time at my desk to get some work done on this scenario. Thanks for the quick response!

(that's right, if it snows the UK stops!)

Wrote a Message to the German Ministry of Defense:

"Russia in Summer, UK in Winter"...

Feel free for Round 3...

:mad:

Wow, it must be wonderful to have potent Friends in here!
But Germany wins versus whole World, last Time nearly, next Time absolutely.
I will eat you all!

Vive la France!

It perhaps would be wonderful also, if Agricola would give a little Screenshot in here,
to show the Hex Fixes exactly, please!!!

Cause that would be a damned useful Notation, i think!!!
And thank you, in the Name of Love, and the Spanish Civil War Scenario!!!

I will play it soon, yes yo!

:crazyeye:

Top Bottom