Spanish leader

Spanish leader(s), select 1 to 3

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say Isabella because it's the classic for the franchise. I don't understand the obsession with mixing things up, I like familiar faces.

The thing is, Isabella only got to Spain's throne because of Ferdinard, her co-ruler and husband. That, and Isabella has left us enough bad memories of religious dogpiles that we just want her gone. Long live Phillip II! :p

The thing is, Isabella only got to Spain's throne because of Ferdinard, her co-ruler and husband. That, and Isabella has left us enough bad memories of religious dogpiles that we just want her gone. Long live Phillip II! :p

Yeah, my vote is from a "I know completely nothing about Spanish history" perspective :)

Ferdinand created the Inquisition for Aragón and later he convinced Isabel to make an Inquisition for both kingdoms. Isabel wasn't specially fanatic because some of her councilers were jew. Meanwhile, in England there was a Civil War between Catholics and Protestants.
The most terrible inquisition was the papal inquisition, which killed thousand people in Languedoc and Aquitania so that Philip II Augustus of France conquered these territories. Curiously, the Papa Inquisition exists today and the penultimate boss was a guy named Joseph Ratzinger, known now as Benedict XVI.

Add charles II, if only because leaderhead artists could have fun making him. Of course, the game rating might have to be upped due to scary images.

I'd hate to think what Charles II would say when you engage in diplomacy...

"Oh hello there, would you care to have some chocolate with me and my parents' corpses?"

Removed, unproductive.

Well, he might be able to say "Hello, my family is so inbred our family tree is a diamond shape."

About the inclusion of Spain in Civ5 vanilla, ...

In the 16th century and until 1640, Spain was the most advanced country in economy (mercantilism), political system (centralization against feudalism), science (the universities of Salamanca and Alcalá were the most important and received studients of all Europe), culture (Barroque literature, architecture and painting), law (Ius gentium), and military power (new tactics with the tercios), and more things that I can't remember in this moment. :)

As leader, I would like Philip II or double leader of Isabel de Castilla and Fernando de Aragón, the Catholic Kings. :queen: :king:

Iván de España;9022562 said:
About the inclusion of Spain in Civ5 vanilla, ...

In the 16th century and until 1640, Spain was the most advanced country in economy (mercantilism), political system (centralization against feudalism), science (the universities of Salamanca and Alcalá were the most important and received studients of all Europe), culture (Barroque literature, architecture and painting), law (Ius gentium), and military power (new tactics with the tercios), and more things that I can't remember in this moment. :)

As leader, I would like Philip II or double leader of Isabel de Castilla and Fernando de Aragón, the Catholic Kings. :queen: :king:

We've already been through this, don't start it again. Spain is not in Civ5, get over it.

The 18th civilization is unknown.
It could be Spain, Persia, the Vikings, or even Siam, althoug I think it could be Khmers with Siamese elephant as special unit.

Iván de España;9022582 said:
The 18th civilization is unknown.
It could be Spain, Persia, the Vikings, or even Siam, althoug I think it could be Khmers with Siamese elephant as special unit.

Spain and Vikings have not been mentioned once, in the heaps of previews that have been published. The likelihood of either is near zero. Persia and Siam have been mentioned in previews.

...the marriage of isabella and ferdinand is what united spain and allowed them to both complete the reconquista and form an empire. maybe not her specifically because she was a woman, but her family would've been important whether she married ferdinand or dave from accounting.

The marriage of isabella and ferdinand is what united spain and allowed them to both complete the reconquista and form an empire.

My vote goes to Isabella, for the reasons you have stated. Under Isabella, the Reconquista came to an end, Spain was unified, and the New World was discovered. The concurrence of those remarkable achievements is not mere coincidence: contrary to what someone has inanely stated in these forums, those events are closely related (as shown by documented evidence authored by Columbs himself). The end of the Reconquista and the subsequent age of extensive exploration and colonization projected Spain into becoming a world's leading power for almost two centuries (which is why Spain must be in Civ5). El Siglo de Ero, Spain's golden age, wouldn't have been possible without Isabella. It all started with her.

Does this really matter though? Spain isn't in the game (not sure why, it was a huge power under the Hapsburgs, but regardless) so within the first month of the game being released someone will make a mod featuring spain.
Need this discussion continue?

Spain isn't in the game (not sure why, it was a huge power under the Hapsburgs, but regardless) so within the first month of the game being released someone will make a mod featuring spain.

If Spain is not in vanilla, someone will soon fix the bug. As Rhye said, the Earth map is unplayable without Spain. An hotfix adding Spain must be made as soon as possible after vanilla's release.

Giordano Léonce;9025406 said:
If Spain is not in vanilla, someone will soon fix the bug. As Rhye said, the Earth map is unplayable without Spain. An hotfix adding Spain must be made as soon as possible after vanilla's release.

He didn't say "unplayable". That's your own personal dramatisation. He said he wouldn't play the Earth map without Spain (not the same thing).

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9009451&postcount=164

I hope Firaxis don't publish a hotfix to add Spain. I'd rather they spent it on something worthwhile, like fixing bugs. The omission of Spain is a deliberate design decision, not a bug. A bug is something not working as designed. Civ5 is designed to not have Spain in it.

I have to agree with Dale here. A deliberate design decision (as they cannot have too many civs for simple budgetary reasons) shouldn't be "hotfixed" because you don't like it. Not every nation is included, deal with it. Don't let your nationalistic "But Spain is amazing!" take over you.

He didn't say "unplayable". That's your own personal dramatisation. He said he wouldn't play the Earth map without Spain.

Rhye said that he will not play the Earth map without Spain. The reason why he said so is simple: such a incomplete map would be unplayable to anyone who enjoys playing civ as an "Earth-simulator". The omission of Spain is thus very bad for vanilla. Many mods, including Rhye's mod, are based on the Earth map. I can't imagine playing Rhye's mod without Spain, it wouldn't work as Rhye intends it to work.

The omission of Spain is an oversight (hence a bug) or a misjudged decision (hence a bad design choice). In either case, this mistake has to be corrected as soon as possible, either by an official patch or by some unofficial hotfix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom