Spanish UA doesn't scale with game speed

floppymoose

Warlord
Title kinda says it all. I was looking forward to rushing a settler when I was the first to find a wonder, which I did on turn 2. But I play on epic. Still 180 gold short, which is a lot.

Using easy numbers:

Receive 500 gold for finding NW

Something that takes 10 turns to build and costs 500 gold to rush
Receiving 500 gold removes 10 turns from creation time (by instantly buying)

Something that takes 15 turns to build and costs 750 gold to rush (+50% on both)
Receiving 500 gold removes 10 turns from creation time (need to accrue 250 more gold)

It's still "worth" the same amount of time savings

It's worth the same number of turns of savings. Which is not at all the same amount. There are more turns in epic.

And it's even worse, in that you cannot partially rush something. You can't build it for 5 and then rush just the last 10.

Or to put it another way, a settler is a settler is a settler, at any game speed. But 1 turn or 1 gold in one speed doesn't buy you what it buys at another.

For instance, gold from GM diplomatic missions scales with game speed.

This is true. But it goes for many UA in some way or another that they are affected by speed, mapsize and whatnot.

Anyway, the happiness is acutally better on slower speeds. Why? Because it's worth as much but you'll find the NWs alot sooner (not sooner in gameturns). Also, all tile yields are worth the same regardless of speed.

Spains bonus needs to scale with game speed. It is way op when you find those wonders on quick speed.

Yeah, I'd much rather see them scale it down on Standard and Quick than increase it on Epic.
Marathon could probably use a bit of a boost though.

Yeah, I'd much rather see them scale it down on Standard and Quick than increase it on Epic.
Marathon could probably use a bit of a boost though.

Scaled for quick, yeah. Maybe 400 gold.
600 Epic
700 Marathon

It's worth the same number of turns of savings. Which is not at all the same amount. There are more turns in epic.

And it's even worse, in that you cannot partially rush something. You can't build it for 5 and then rush just the last 10.

Or to put it another way, a settler is a settler is a settler, at any game speed. But 1 turn or 1 gold in one speed doesn't buy you what it buys at another.

For instance, gold from GM diplomatic missions scales with game speed.

I know. I was thinking the same thing last night. Why can't you start building something, then finish it later with gold equivalent to the hammers remaining, not the total hammers required?

If you're gonna scale for game speed (which everything in the game really should) then the bonus would be as follows:

Quick: 340 (67)
Standard: 500 (100)
Epic: 1000 (200)
Marathon: 1500 (300)

I know. I was thinking the same thing last night. Why can't you start building something, then finish it later with gold equivalent to the hammers remaining, not the total hammers required?

This is actually the rush-buy mechanic that they used in Civ Rev. They didn't get a lot right in that game, but I did like being able to buy wonders half-way through producing them.

Though in Civ V, the AI usually have ridiculous amounts of gold, and already have a tendency to steal my wonders out from under me. Maybe things should stay as they are...

~R~

This is actually the rush-buy mechanic that they used in Civ Rev. They didn't get a lot right in that game, but I did like being able to buy wonders half-way through producing them.

Though in Civ V, the AI usually have ridiculous amounts of gold, and already have a tendency to steal my wonders out from under me. Maybe things should stay as they are...

~R~

If you spy on the AI you can see also that the AI has different production costs (cheaper costs) than you do on wonders. They get bonuses apparently on Wonders if you look at their city screen. They already get enough - another bonus wouldnt help

Top Bottom