Speaking in E-Prime

kill fire

Enormous Midget
For those of you who have never heard of E-Prime, or don't know much about it, it's essentially a form of the English language that does not use the verb "to be." Wikipedia has an article on it here if you want to learn more about it.

I think it can greatly reduce conflict and help with understanding other peoples arguments.

For example, I remember two having a conversation about the first Lord of the Rings movie a while ago. One of them said "Lord of the Rings was the greatest movie ever." The other responded "Nuh-uh Lord of the Rings sucked." It resulted in a long argument and both walked away angry with each other. I think that if they had instead said "I enjoyed the first Lord of the Rings movie" and "I didn't care for it myself" the whole conflict could have been avoided, as it stops being an argument for which statement is true, and becomes instead a simple statement of opinions.

I think that using E-Prime, or at least using the verb "to be" less , would benefit people in off-topic. I often see people simply asserting that their ideas are the truth. For example, I commonly observe people saying "so and so is morally acceptable." Then, someone with an opposing view will say "No, so and so is not morally acceptable." I think this causes conflict, because first of all, it seems to imply that one of them knows for a fact that their argument is true, and the other as well knows for a fact that their argument is true, when neither person can empirically prove their point. If they could, I would think that neither person would need to argue.

Secondly, I think that it makes it difficult for people to see the other person's point of view. After all, if your argument is true, then that means the other person either cannot understand the truth (they are stupid), cannot accept the truth (they are crazy), or they know the truth but spread lies (they are evil). I think that this makes it very difficult to understand other people's ideas, because if you present your arguments as truth, then to me at least it logically follows that the other person must be wrong or lying. I think that if we instead present our ideas as opinions, it will be much easier to think of them as opinions.

I think that if we speak in E-Prime, conversations might become an exchange of ideas and opinions instead being a battle over which person is "right" and which person is "wrong." I also think our discussions will be more productive and more civil if we just say "I disagree with so and so" or "I agree with so and so" instead of "so and so is right" or "so and so is wrong."

Well, I suppose I've rambled on long enough, just as an experiment, try to present things in E-Prime for one day and note the differences in conversation.

Next time I have a break I will have another look at the wiki but your argument is unconvincing. Youre suggesting I do X to reduce conflict and help me understand... passive aggressive or what? Conflict is part of nature. Who am I supposed to understand lol?

Haven't heard of E-Prime but it sounds interesting, I'll have to read up on it.

RE: Avoiding conflict on forums (and in any communication) - I think if everyone took it as a given that opinions are really just opinions (even when spoken as fact), those conflicts would diminish naturally. I see a lot of assertions (e.g. "Civ5 is dumbed down!") that someone else cries over, saying "that's just your opinion!!" and really... isn't that blatantly obvious?

Just because someone else takes their opinion to be fact, doesn't mean anyone needs to actually buy into that assumption. :)

Perhaps E-Prime can solve the conflicts in the Middle East.

Today they always go about saying things like "Israel is the Promised Land for our people; it is our right to live here" or "The Palestinians are victims of Zionist aggression; we are fighting for our rights."

With E-Prime, they could only say things like "God gave us this land. We will drive you off." or "No, God gave us this land. We will drive you off." And then the fighting will stop.

Hmmm, I don't think getting rid of the being-verbs is quite the magic bullet you were looking for. Maybe we could try banning pronouns, instead.

I enjoyed the long-winded nature of the OP.

I couldnt read it past the second paragraph
For those of you who have never heard of E-Prime, or don't know much about it, it's essentially a form of the English language that does not use the verb "to be." Wikipedia has an article on it here if you want to learn more about it.

*I personally think it can greatly reduce conflict and help with understanding other peoples arguments.*

I find it offensive when people write I personally. Study some philosophy killfire and you may realise how obvious the fallacy of that second sentence is. you basically wrote do this cuz i said so. better luck next time :D

I've never heard of "E-prime" but I've been taught repeatedly that avoiding passive tense (i.e. depending upon "to be") leads to clearer communication.

That's the downside of E-Prime, you need a lot more words.

Good, build your vocabulary. I don't know if I'll actually attempt to get rid of be and is, but the approach is definitely interesting and probably worth remembering. If only because it makes sentences more interesting.

I couldnt read it past the second paragraph

I find it offensive when people write I personally. Study some philosophy killfire and you may realise how obvious the fallacy of that second sentence is. you basically wrote do this cuz i said so. better luck next time :D

Next time I have a break I will have another look at the wiki but your argument is unconvincing. Youre suggesting I do X to reduce conflict and help me understand... passive aggressive or what? Conflict is part of nature. Who am I supposed to understand lol?

Perhaps conflict and nature do go together, however it does usually depend on someone starting it in conversations. Now if you want to say that the nature of some people is geared towards conflict, I think we may have some glaring examples we could turn our attention to.

Does conflict depend on someone starting a conversation or someone ending a conversation?

Perhaps conflict and nature do go together, however it does usually depend on someone starting it in conversations. Now if you want to say that the nature of some people is geared towards conflict, I think we may have some glaring examples we could turn our attention to.

I think youre touching upon the same issue that arose in a bullying thread some days ago. Conflict is only interaction and that is not unique to humanity, it is part of life.

First of all, I think that you mean the third sentence, not the second. Using personally was a grammatical error now that I look back at it, I'll fix that. However, I don't quite understand how you reached the conclusion that I was telling people "do this because I said so." If I did say that somehow, I didn't intend to. I was trying to say just the opposite actually, that it was actually just my personal opinion.

I think youre touching upon the same issue that arose in a bullying thread some days ago. Conflict is only interaction and that is not unique to humanity, it is part of life.

Except that humans possess rational abilities that can prevent conflict for the betterment of all involved.

Top Bottom