Speaking of ToT-conversions..

Arthedain

- Celestial Being -
SLeague Staff
I was watching the Spartacus series the other day and remembered Alex Moors good old scenario. We should really update this one with new and awesome graphics. And best of all, we should make a bat-file so you can easily switch the files. :crazyeye:
Anyone interested?

It's a good indication of just how far we've come if someone suggests that an Alex Mor scenario needs to be upgraded with "awesome" art :)

Anyway, it seems like a good idea (especially the batch file) and would be a good candidate to be reborn.

Fairline has done some amazing work on Roman units for my Germanicus scenario. I'd appreciate the chance to debut them there (it should be out within a few weeks), but after that, feel more than free to pick it apart for anything you can use.

Actually I've managed to convert a MGE scen to ToT before, so maybe I'll try it out myself. I'm a newbie when it comes to batch making, though. And yeah, I know that Alex graphics are excellent, but as mentioned, Gareth's roman units are amazing. ;)

Making Batch files from scratch might take a bit of time and research, but it is very simple to copy an existing one and make minor adjustments to suit what you want it to do. Even I can get my head around it! ;)

I must admit I have never played Spartacus. A new ToT version would be a very good excuse to try it out.

Yeah, I also realized that Catfish. If you're up to converting it I'll leave it to you then. Take your time :) And just holler here if you need any help.

You can test it. ;) It's done. It was 41ºC here yesterday, so I sat down at the computer for a few hours and mucked around with Civ2.

The events were a bit of a pain because I had to reformat a lot of the text; many Text events used more than 10 lines (the maximum allowable). The last 6 spartac.txt files were inserted into events and are loaded (JustOnce) using ScenarioLoaded triggers. Turn events that take place on the first turn after a file swap have also been replaced by ScenarioLoaded triggers, otherwise they won't fire with the batch file/delevent.exe method. I haven't tested the scenario.

I might do this one. When I tried to open the units and terrain files, I was reminded that this guy used to hex edit the headers so no-one could steal his precious graphics. :lol:

IIRC it was pretty easy to get round Alex's jiggery-pokery by loading his unit sets into the in-game FW editor, changing a single pixel and saving. Presto, editable bmps.

Thanks for the conversion of Spartacus, Catfish. Might have to think about units for it. Then again, I can't get CHOICE to work with Vista 64, and its a pain in the erse to manually change enents/rules/units.

IIRC it was pretty easy to get round Alex's jiggery-pokery by loading his unit sets into the in-game FW editor, changing a single pixel and saving. Presto, editable bmps.
He only hex edited the 3 GIF version bytes. Very easy to restore.

Then again, I can't get CHOICE to work with Vista 64, and its a pain in the erse to manually change enents/rules/units.
You don't need Choice.

Great job with the conversion, Catfish! :b:

@Gareth: You've already done most of the graphics for other scenarios. I don't think there's much you'll have to do from scratch :)

No sweat McM, I was already having a look at Sartacus. Its been a long time since I played it and my civ interest has been piqued by Germanicus.

ToT Conversion of
------------------------
MOSCOW -- THE THIRD ROME
by Michael J. Daumen
------------------------
by Keu.

Graphics remains original.

Changelog:

- Citadel unit moved to another slot
- Villages set NONE as home sity

Thanks to Catfish for his ToT conversion guide

Attachments