1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

:spear:

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by pickle, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

Yes. It is possible. It's based off of the same concept as the worker, leader, and army units changing graphics. (Though I prefer the term "Redress" the unit, for they are not changing into a different unit, just different appearances.)

This is not really realistic or reasonable, since if you were to advance to the modern age, and hypothetically an enemy is in the ancient age, then you'd have "spearmen" with guns vs their "spearmen" with spears.

Only Outposts, Airports, Colonies, Forts, and Barricades can do this.

2. Nate1976

Nate1976 Just Plain Wierd

yea...i know. That's why I only quoted the part about the units. Not the other part. I too wish that it could be fixed, but know that it cannot.

-Nate

3. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

If you really wanted to change the unit's appearance over time, then you would only have to go to the editor and make a unit, for example, a "modern warrior" and just have a warrior upgrade to that...(same statistics and all...or you could even change it a little: make it cost a little more, add some offense or defense...movement maybe...a whole ton of options.)

4. Alpha Killer II

Alpha Killer II My avatar is a insigna...

I blame the RNGs

5. Glitch Master

Glitch Master Chieftain

:spear:

Happens to me 85% of the time.

6. Taras Bulba

Taras Bulba gone

not to mention that like the only way spearmen need to hide from a tank is dig a hole in the ground... if the tank runs over it... it shouldn't kill him... and if he plays it right... if they see the hole.. he can kill them when the get out, or stab under the tank to make it stop running (hit a fuel line or something)

7. Wandering Noob

Wandering Noob Chieftain

I'm not an expert, but I have noticed thatthe graphic for a fortress upgrades with era. If that can, why not mines and such?

8. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

Sorry Nate, I must have misunderstood your post. :blush:

For terrain and improvements, they have sorta like a "grid" or a "bingo card". so it says "Use G-4 farm on this tile" However, you can only use 1 grid which I believe has a toal of 16 farms. one irrigation/mine/road uses the "A-1" graphic. 2 uses something like "B1 and C3" or something. If you could use the source code you could make like an irrigation2.pcx, mine2.pcx, etc. and have it pull from a whole new "bingo card" in a different era. just assign a new irrigation.pcx file to each era and your done.

Stuff like forts and cities have a spot designated to their grid/bingo card for the later eras. Mines and such do not.

9. Skibatized

Skibatized Chieftain

Im not sure but if the city had the city or metro bonus defense and if they had a civil defense Its quite possible to lose to a spearman = )

10. Nate1976

Nate1976 Just Plain Wierd

Yes, it is all very possible.

No worries man, it was just that like 3 people had taken me for a noob that day. My fault, not yours.

11. jammyxu

jammyxu Chieftain

a warrior kill my two riders

12. REX GRACCHVS

REX GRACCHVS Hebertiste

Actually, if one had, to use an example of the post suggesting it, a punk
    (1.1.1) going against a warrior (1.1.1) it would be rather amusing, considering also that a modren state would be less likely to have regiments of loin-cloth clad clubbmen but would find it comparably easier to mobilise punk-gangster types.

13. Snarkhunter

Snarkhunter Prince

O, it could certainly kill him if the hole wasn't deep enough or the ground not firm enough--ask any WWII vet of a tank overrun how worried he was about the stability of his foxhole. You might be surprised. And tank fuel lines don't run on the outside of the armor; the belly armor is designed to be mine-proof--the hardest poke in the world with a spear isn't going to do diddly to it. Even jamming the thing into the bogies or driving wheels isn't going to do more than cause a bump, if that.

Finally, these are units of tanks vs. units of spearmen, not individuals. Even if a unit of spearmen could take out one tank, they surely couldn't manage a whole unit of tanks. It's just a game fantasy, & one that we all have to accept if we play long enough.

14. Nergal

Nergal Prince

Its easy, stack of modern armour assaults a city, one by one the defenders are blown apart, until it comes to that one remaining spearman that never got upgraded. Lets face it the guy might only be a spearman ... but he has had close on 6000 years to practice being good at it

On a slightly different note I remember one game where my tanks kept encountering Lonbowmen, without fail every tank that killed one went elite, it was odd, like they got some new badge for the tank or something.

15. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

Yeah, I think there are two basic combat rules to Civ III:

Rule #1: A fortified spearmen is always better than a tank full of gas.

Rule #2: An elite unit always loses in battle. If you see your veteran unit get promoted during the turn after winning, that's when you yell, "Nuts!" Worst thing that could happen.

16. Taras Bulba

Taras Bulba gone

haha... im glad im not the only one who seems to have elite units that REALLY stink :p

17. Nergal

Nergal Prince

Its true ... going elite mid battle is a death sentence ...

18. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

I hardly ever get elites, but if I do, they usually last.

19. Quildavyr

Quildavyr Man of sick jokes!

But if an elite unit lose the fight against a non-regular(i dont remember the name,they got 2 hp boxes) it is crazy.

20. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

not if it's an elite warrior fighting a conscript mech infantry!! :crazyeye: