1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Spearman line or Warrior line ?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by brainfixer, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

IMO, they are best used when you need additional attacks on a tile, but can't afford to take up that space. I recently just finished a game where I wanted to move my artillery into firing range of a capital city, but the tiles were blocked. I was able to attack with cavalry then move back out of the way and move the artillery forward. I suppose you could argue that you could just wait the extra turn or two, but with so much gold per turn towards the end of the game it isn't difficult to keep a few around. But yeah, they tend to be more useful on the sidelines than fortifying positions up front.

Also useful for sniping cities once artillery/bombers hit the field.

2. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Because I dislike playing the Celts :p

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Pictish Warrior is boss through Pikes. A Renaissance Era rush with PWs upgraded to Pikes, plus X-Bows and Trebs, is a sight to behold.

The lancer upgrade still sucks, although the PW's 20% foreign lands bonus and no movement penalty when pillaging continue through the upgrade, and do make the lancer a bit less sucky.

4. Crafty Bison

Crafty Bison King

Are you from Liverpool?! I've only ever heard that used before by people from Merseyside. If you're American I really hope it originated seperately cos that would be the wierdest crossover vernacular ever. :lol:

I'm actually still quite a fan of the Pictish lancers, pretty close to Sipahi for me. Plus if you're not a fan they're really early so it's not like it's still making up most of your army at that time. Btw the one time I actually needed it, I found the helicopters to be very serious too.

I'm a massive fan of the immortals too so it wasn't anything against what the commenter stated about them, just that there is another great spear UU too :). To boot, the immotal and hoplite graphics are some of the nicest units in the game, for my money at least. Don't like the PW graphics as much tho.

5. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Nope, American. Dredging up antiquated slang.

I certainly don't delete my former PW Pikes, and enjoy the PW Lancers (they are much better than generic Lancers), but you have to be more careful using them. Would really prefer they upgrade to Knights => Cavalry ====> Tanks, but that is a common complaint about Lancers generally.

6. Biologist

Biologist Researcher

For most civs, especially ones like England or China, I choose archers as the bulk of my army, with melee units existing only to provide a means of capturing cities until the Industrial Era.

If playing as Rome, I try to get Iron and spam as many Legions as possible, and start getting them decent promotions.

If playing Greece, Persia, or anyone else who benefits from spears, I might split my army between spears and archers. I don't like the spearman's upgrade path because it ultimately evolves into lancers and then anti-tank units, which are niche units at best.

Edit: I am currently playing most of my games on Emperor level. As others have noted, cavalry units can be a better choice than foot soldiers (at least, in some circumstances). I don't like cavalry units on maps with a ton of hills or jungle, but they're great on open plains or desert. The one time I played as Austria, Hussars were an insane conquering tool.... at least, for the short time they were relevant.

7. Dogmouth

Dogmouth King

Pre-patch I might have agreed with you. Nowadays horsemen can pillage for 25hp without losing a turn. Also, the computer knows to target melee when you're sieging a city. Warriors/swordsman/pikes are so slow that you need to bring more than 1 or sacrafice an injured archer to get into the city.

Horseman do just fine at capturing a city that has been fully bled out by archers and/or siege. Also, when you use horseman to capture a city, you don't need to slow your army down to allow melee units to heal before sieging the next city. Simply pillage and continue your conquest.

8. mintcandy

mintcandy King

I know this was a question for Gods and Kings, but for vanilla, swords was unquestionably better than the spear/pike line.

Heck, the Classical era Swordsman unit was actually stronger than the Medieval era Pikeman unit, ha.

Even though I still haven't gotten Gods and Kings, I wish I could choose between upgrading into the Anti Tank role (Lancers, etc.) or the Foot Infantry role (Musketman, Great War Infantry, etc.).

You know, kind of like how we had the choice between Grenadier or Rifleman upgrades in Civilization IV?

9. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

I disagree; I think those who want to have strongly upgraded gunpowder troops should need to put in the investment of Iron Working; Pikemen exist so that those who are trying to play more peacefully/defensively need not get completely run over.

10. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

It's not even about strongly upgraded, it's just what you want to do with them once they start to become obsolete. Pikes would probably see much more use if they weren't forced to turn into progressively more niche units but instead you could mix Lancers/Muskets. You also wouldn't see City-States sitting around with Pikes in the Information Era because they didn't have Horses :p

11. TravisATWA

TravisATWA Chieftain

Really? I find they tend to either A) Target wounded targets or B) Target Ranged/Siege

12. LogisticEarth

LogisticEarth Chieftain

Pikes should upgrade into riflemen. Historically pikemen fought alongside early musket formations until bayonets started to come into thier own. Lancers should be their own unit or something.

The only reason it seems that pikemen upgrade into lancers is because Civ5 seems to have this annoying habit of having "unit genres", and since lancers are the more advanced "anti-mounted" unit, then pikemen upgrade into them for some reason.

13. Dogmouth

Dogmouth King

The AIs order of preference appears to be (1) wounded; (2) seige; (3) melee; and (4) archers. Like many of us, I don't use much siege until artillery. It's too expensive and dies too easily. I also don't like starting a city attack with wounded units, although I'll resort to such tactics if have melee or siege that I really need to save. Thus, melee are on the chopping block.

14. pspboy7

pspboy7 Prince

I never though about this, but yeah, iron is better left to frigates rather than swords, which I rarely build anymore, I prefer archers. Pikes and horses are superior to taking cities after the archers take them down with siege upgrades, or trebuchets/cannons.

Perhaps they will fix this in the future since swords have become somewhat obsolete. Weird that.