1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Spearman vs. Tank alive and well!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Bibor, Oct 1, 2010.

1. pi-r8

pi-r8 Luddite

It's not that hard to do.
    Tank captures city.
    3 catapults and 1 spearmen are waiting behind the city. catapults bombard, spearmen moves in, and the tank is gone.

2. jprc

jprc My dog is smarter than me

why not ?

For "killing" a tank, you do not need to destroy a tank !!!
    You just need to kill/neutralize the crew...

the vastly superior weaponery of USA got stuck against black pyjama guys (viets...), and exemples like this are numerous.
    Let us think your tank got ambushed and the commander (the top of the tank being never buttoned up except in battle ... and even not always, cf. book: "Tigers in the Mud ") got killed by a well-thrown spear... then the warriors quickly jumped on the tank, dropped in, and slaughtered the crew...

But I would love to have tanks (and any other mechanical units) being captured!!! Ex., in a battle, you have a little chance for the tank not be destroyed, but captured !! or the ship...
    It gives another meaning to piracy, especially in the Gulf of Aden...

3. 12agnar0k

12agnar0k Emperor

So what your trying to say with your first post that Spearman vs Tank, isn't still in the game. Well we already knew that ^>^.

4. Teodosio

Teodosio Warlord

You should consider yourself lucky they had only swords.
    If it were Indiana Jones with an umbrella your fighter would be pigeons' food by now! :lol:

5. superdudeman

superdudeman Chieftain

I'm sure you would LOVE this idea if you were the lower tech civ.

Then you'd write "WHYYYYYY HAVENT THEY FIXED THIS SIMPUL PROBLEM WHYYYYYYY!!! MY UNITS DONT EVEN GET CHANGE 2 FIGHT WWHYYYYY THEEY SHODUL GET TO DAMAGE THEM MY UNITS ARE LEGENDARY WARRIOS WHO NEVER GIVE UP!"

6. BufordTJustice

BufordTJustice Chieftain

To sum up this thread: Spearman vs. Tank is gone. Definitely!

More popcorn! :mischief:

7. flyingbunnys

flyingbunnys Warlord

Think of it as pilot error or maintance. I mean things can break from just being used even if they aren't hit, but what if one of those swords got thrown into your engine.

8. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Wow, it's been a while...

Naval battles are worse. It took my submarine THREE ATTACKS to beat an enemy embarked worker. Huh?

9. Stefanskantine

Stefanskantine Angry Partisan

The new spearman versus tank is frigates versus my modern city. I see a graphic of my modern city bombardment shooting several rockets at a freaking wooden ship. Somehow the wooden ship shrugs off the damage as if were nothing and loses only about 1 or 2 hp. Then its feeble rennaissance era cannons rip my city to shreads.

Naval units in general need to scale more steeply. My battleship shouldn't take 2 or 3 turns to kill a frigate. IRL it wouldn't even need to shoot it would just steam right through it and crush it.

10. tcjsavannah

RAMMING SPEED!

Seriously, destroyers/battleships need a Ram command for wooden ships. Then when you're done, have a (R)epaint command so you can touch up the scratches your battleship got when you sank the trireme.

11. Vicullum

Vicullum Chieftain

If you're looking for wonky results try naval combat. My destroyer only does 3 dmg to a caravel? Really? And a BATTLESHIP only does 4 to a frigate? Wth?

12. Jibby924

Jibby924 Chieftain

When I was on Telic in Basra in '05/'06 we had Iraqi's just stepping out of cover and on to the street and start putting rounds out of an AK on to our Challenger 2 tanks.

The outcome wasn't pleasant to see, suicide, and not nice to be part of. :( They might put a few holes in stowage bins on the back deck, hence the -2 damage on Civ. :)

Or not.

13. Magil

Magil Monarch

They took the tank while it was parked and the drivers were out drinking in celebration. Then the drivers got stabbed with spears.

14. tcjsavannah

Now that is a combat animation I would pay to see included in the game.

15. Orion66

Orion66 Master of Orion

16. ChaplainDMK

ChaplainDMK Warlord

Civ VI should totaly eliminate this by adding an armor class, and make certain weapons totaly ineffective against some armor classes. So a tank would have a "Tank" armor class, that wouldn't be damaged by musket fire, pikes, cannons, catapults etc., and airplanes should be totaly immune to evrey ground unit that doesen't posses AA, so units from rifleman foreward should have an ability to fire at aircraft, anything before shouldn't be able to engage aircraft at all.

17. Abremms

Abremms Prince

embarked units still have 10hp. don't ranged attack them, just roll up on top of them. that wipes them off the map in a single move.

edit: except you don;t get XP for doing that, so i like to shoot at them anyways just to farm xp. in ,y current game i have two frigates with land bombardment 3, +1 range, Logistics (+1 attack), and Indirect fire. I am wrecking the Ottomans right now.

18. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Oh well, another :spear: thread ... and with all the usual arguments . People just don't learn, do they ? :D

In resume: if you want a game that is more that getting high tech units and roll over everything, you need to acept a :spear: event now and then. Live with it , pls

19. esnoeijs

esnoeijs Chieftain

I can't for the life of me remember what the movie was called, but there is actually a movie about a tank unit in the middle of some afghanistan type country that get separated from the pack, and go on a long trip trying to find where the hell they should be.

During the movie they often get attacked by various factions, although those have a bit more modern weapons then spears, it does show how a beaten down tank crew can get beaten while having superior fire power.

crew get killed while going out of the tank, the tank itself gets damaged trough boobytraps, etc..

-edit-
    found it, the movie was called 'the beast'.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beast_(1988_film)

20. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

^^ The Beast of War

Nice movie ... from the time where talibans were valiant freedom fighers :D

P.S In the end, the tank is defeated by throwing rocks on it :p Even less low tech than spears :p