1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Spearman vs. Tank alive and well!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Bibor, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

I think you guys are missing the joke. A SWORDSMAN nearly shot down a FIGHTER. What did it grow wings and fly? At least a spearsmen brigade might break the tanks treads or something.

2. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

I share the view that obsolete land units represent rag tag militias equipped with small arms and with rudimentary AA capabilities.

However, asymmetric warfare doesn't work at sea or in the air on a strategic level. IE Somali pirates (who would disappear overnight if the ROTW took the gloves off) and the USS Cole don't count.

3. Rylune

Rylune Chieftain

While we are at it, why do embarked units not get a chance to fight? I can understand a huge hit to strength but why are my paratroopers and infantry dying to barbarian triremes? Can't they defend themselves at all? Heck what about a Gunship? I was trying to explore a little and did not see the trireme that came from nowhere and took him down.

4. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Uh... try maintaining local naval supremacy. Don't ZoCs work at sea?

5. Tridus

Tridus Warlord

It was pretty funny how quickly this thread went to spearmen vs tank when it's actually about swords vs airplanes.

Maybe those guys can throw their swords a long way? :lol:

6. plaugeman

plaugeman Chieftain

Black hawk down?

7. Ayt

Ayt Warlord

It takes 3 attacks to bombard workers on land as well. I had a request from a city state to take care of barbarians and it turned out they were all workers. It took 9 turns for my destroyer to take them out.

8. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

I'm thinking more vastly exaggerated anime style jumps. I can imagine like samurai jack going AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH *Slice slice slice* *fighter falling apart*

9. highfive

highfive Chieftain

Yes! :thumbsup:

Lot's of QQ'ing on this forum for a game that's generally a lot of fun to play.

10. TLF

TLF Prince

It happened just a few years ago in the Persian Gulf I think.
    Wasn't there an incident where some terrorist/freedomfighter/guerilla types used a motor launch (a very small 4 or 5 man boat) to attack a cruiser/destroyer or whatever it was.

I think people over value modern arms.

A guy with a knife could sneak up on any modern armament and disable it under the right circumstances.
    If the guys in a tank don't lock the hatch, or they get out of the tank, etc.

Considering what the Vietnamese and Afghan's did to america it is clear that will, leadership and opportunity play a large part in this.
    And, reasons why these things happen are besides the point. The point is that they happen.

"It was pretty funny how quickly this thread went to spearmen vs tank when it's actually about swords vs airplanes.

Maybe those guys can throw their swords a long way?"

Of course, this is beyond any defense.

11. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

I addressed this exact point just above. The fact that a handful of people can use old technology to damage a modern warship in harbour doesn't mean it should be possible to sink entire modern naval units (which represent more than a single ship) with hopelessly out-teched vessels. Because at sea if you're outmatched in range, speed and firepower you're toast. The only way you're even going to scratch their paint is through stealth, and on a strategic level that doesn't close the gap the way it can on land.

12. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Actually the fighter got damaged attacking a city (a swordsman was in it); cities may have defenses - I don´t really see a problem.

That would be a really small target for a submarine to target (especially if it doesn´t have an on-deck machine gun).

Extreme example, but targeting tiny targets like single workers with destroyer guns wouldn´t be very effective. no.

And yes, this is a game. You get your basic archers to shoot 2 tiles; imagine the range that´d be in real life...

13. Wolle68

Wolle68 Warlord

:agree:

It's not that Firaxis doesn't know how to make a large difference between eras. It's that they simply didn't choose to.

14. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

There is one problem with the argument: the spearmen got the tank crews when they were sleeping etc.

The problem is if you are attacking with your tank (or fighter or whatever) your crew isn't sleeping. They are obviously not sleeping, they are combat ready and on the move. You unit is never "sleeping"when you order it to attack. Now if you were defending in between turns you can make an argument the tank/fighter crew was sleeping, but not when you are attacking during your turn.

So I'm just not buying the argument that lesser units should defeat stronger units. At least not when the lesser units are defending. This should be fixed.

15. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

No, it was on a hill actually :) I cleared all the other units and cities in the area and the carrier was about to move, so I hit the swordsman to get exp.

16. JanissaryRush

JanissaryRush Warlord

It wouldn't be easy to torpedo people swimming.

17. They're on TRANSPORTS they should be dead meat.

18. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

So you surface and rake them with MG fire as they thrash around in the water. :ar15::eekdance:

19. Antmanbrooks

Antmanbrooks Prince

What concerns me more is the fact that the AI actually still had a Swordsman against your Fighter?

20. edpovi

edpovi Chieftain

Gameplay > Realism.

Or, if you prefer, the fighter didn't clear the danger zone of his own bomb.