1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Special Abilities for New Civs

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Itzcolotl, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Thanks, I was trying to think of a UA that represented their religious side better. Reconquista works well (the only thing I could think of was the Holy Inquisition and had no idea how to implement it).

Maybe give Spanish units a 100% combat bonus in recapturing cities that were originally Spanish

r_rolo1, being Portuguese (and someone who feels strongly about the issue), can you think of a good Portuguese land unit idea? The problem is that they are tied strongly in the minds of many with their colonial empire and their navy connected to that. The problem is compounded by the fact that they've never had a different unique unit (Carrack/Nau in both of the last two games). The Dutch can at least point to Swiss Mercenaries (as poor of a choice as that might be) in Civ3.

2. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Those cities weren't just 'recaptured' The Spanish successfully developed a model for conquering cities.

The idea is that they did not just make those cities puppets, they fully annexed them... perhaps that would be it.

Half or no Civil unrest from Annexed Cities.

3. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

It appears I missed a bunch of posts in the interim. The idea of half or not civil unrest or, more importantly I would suggest, half unhappiness of newly captured cities, definitely fits the Spanish.

My idea (which apparently wasn't my idea, I was that slow in typing) would be using the legal fiction of the Reconquista. The Spanish believed they were reconquering the Christian lands that had once been theirs. I think it would make for a more interesting gameplay my way, but I definitely agree it isn't needed (I'm biased because, in the other thread with basically the same topic, I gave that ability to someone else). Either one is a logical choice for the name Reconquista and gives something unique and cool to Spain.

EDIT: One nice thing about your idea is it encourages Spain to be aggressive (which is more accurate historically).

EDIT 2: Another random idea for a UA (although colonial period) would be Encomienda (no idea what it would be, faster workers, more production for conquered cities, something else, who knows?).

4. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

The Portuguese longsword fighers in the XV/XVI were actually pretty good in both boarding actions and raiding coastal cities ( due to the way they abandoned completely the use of shield and fought with dagger + sword ( dagger to pin down the enemy weapon, sword to the main blow ) they could endure melee fights for longer in average ... that had costs in terms of security vs arrows, but arrows could do little vs the average European armor anyway in terms of direct kill hits ) and they were far more of a factor in what the Portuguese acheived than any particular ship design :D That could be a decent land UU : longsword with some kind of amphibious ability .

5. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Interesting idea. Is there a name associated with them? I'd also suggest having them replace Muskets (even if they didn't technically use Muskets) so they can fit the century they're in (and because any logical expansion would need to leave room for Vikings/Scandanavians and Berzerkers would clearly take the slot of the unit you just described).

BTW, there's nothing inherently wrong about giving the Portuguese a naval UU. The thing to keep in mind is they need land other stuff to make up for it. You can't give them a naval UU, a harbor-replacing UB, and a UA related to Naval Exploration. That unbalances them too much. You could give them a naval UU and a land UU (or a UB that affects the land) and, hopefully, a neutral UA.

One idea for a Portuguese Unique Ability would be something related to Exploration. But its effect should be something like "Every unit gets +1 sight". That way, it's not tied to the sea. I'd argue that, if their UU is connected to the sea (even with an amphibious infantry unit), it would need a non-naval UB to make up for it.

6. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

They hadn't a name because they were suposed to be at the same time crew members and foot soldiers. Well, if you actually use the musket replacement ( that was not so far fetched as well, since they weren't shy of using gunpowder weapons when it was a realistical option ... if you have a unreliable aim and slow reload musket, it is not a good idea to bring it to a melee fight unless you want to use it as a bat :D ) you could use the term fuzileiro , that in Portuguese and Brazilian armies is the current term for naval infantry units ( a rough similar term to the english "marine" ), in spite of being historically displaced atleast 2 centuries.

7. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Well if ships can occupy friendly city tiles, then perhaps you could give them a ship capable of capturing coastal cities?

8. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Capturing and defending , since capturing it would be useless by itself if you can't hold it until a proper garrisson arrives ;) But that would seriously mess the 1upt principle ( you could have a proper land unit + that hypotetical ship defending the city ), so I don't expect to see that happening.

9. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

The city defends itself after the ship takes it.

10. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Ok, true enough, that is a good solution. But I'm not seeing the developers going that way ...

11. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Interesting. I wasn't necessarily suggesting a gunpowder unit, but simply a unit that replaced the musketman. That being said, Fuzileiro does at least have a name and I'm intrigued by the idea of the unit.

Quick wikipedia search adds these facts:
    English name is a Fusilier. It's basically a name for a flintlock regiment (and a name I've heard before). The fuzileiros marinheiros were Portuguese naval infantry. That could work. I would call them Fuzileiros to add a bit of Portuguese distinctiveness and as a compromise between the (somewhat) familiar English name and the somewhat long and cumbersome full Portuguese name (the Civilopedia would reflect the full name for those who are curious).

There are definitely strong arguments for this classification. The Portuguese definitely had units of this type with a distinct purpose and name. In fact, the only other strong candidate for a unit called a Fusilier would be Germany (where it was a light infantry unit) and they're more than set for unique units.

12. Ikael

Ikael King

In another topic I theorized about an alternative Special Ability for Spain:

Siglo de Oro

During golden ages Spanish units gain a +25% of strenght and its cities produce +50% of culture
    NOTE: bonus percentages might vary depending of in - game balance issues since we don't know yet how long golden ages tends to be nor how much of a difference makes a short burst of culture / military effects

That way:

1- You can reflect properly the huge contrast between Spain's expansion and decadence periods
    2- You reward the player for actually playing like Spain: favour the piety social policies (helps generating golden eras), combo Louvre / Hermitage / museums and try to get a golden era during the conquistadores / tercios age for full military ownage
    3- You give a little bit more of flavour to the civ, with only two civs SA affecting golden ages, one of them focused into making them longer, and other one into making golden ages more crucial

13. IdiotsOpposite

IdiotsOpposite Boom, headshot.

Yes. Let's do this one, rather than a UA that tells everyone "COLONIALISM! COLONIALISM!!!"

I agree with the above post.

14. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I feel that's a nice one as well. Although their "Golden Age" (Siglo de Oro) was during their period of Colonialism :p

15. Xetal

Xetal Chieftain

I'm tempted to suggest a Canadian civ with Mounties as a UU, Hockey Arenas as a UB, and Politeness as a UA.

Seriously though, there are like 50+ civs that I would like to see added to the game each with their own flavors.

I'd also like to see all existing civs (and future ones) tweaked so that their UAs provide a truly different gaming experience. I hate to compare to other games, but if you look at how they handled races, travel, and technology in "Sword of the Stars" I think you see a good model where you can play at least one game with each race and not feel like it is completely repetitive. I would like all the Civs in CiV to have that same feeling.

16. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I don't feel any current civ feels repetitive. Certainly 50 would be pushing it, however.

17. Lyoncet

Lyoncet Emperor

First off, glad to see someone who agrees with me on the subject!

I think with the +10% strength and +1 movement that the Achaemenid Legacy gives Persian troops during a GA, the +25% strength here would be a little redundant. But I do really like the idea; perhaps say instead cities captured during a GA give only half unhappiness (probably hard/impossible to code, but cool nonetheless) along with the city culture boost. Makes it a little more "save it up for just the right moment"-y, and differentiates it a bit from the Persian SA.

18. Calouste

Calouste Deity

I think there is still quite a bit of room for new UAs. I'm looking forward to a gold/trade based Dutch civ for example.

19. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Don't have time for reading the whole thread right now, so I'm not sure if I may be repeating somebody else. I have noticed that a lot of people have made suggestions for Spain. My suggestion would be...

"Treasures of El Dorado"... All Ancient Ruins give bonus gold on top of their normal random output. Also, +2 gold from cities across water (or, if you prefer, +1 from each jungle tile).

20. CultureManiac

CultureManiac Prince

:goodjob: