1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Special Election - Culture Leader Nominations

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of Democracy III' started by Bootstoots, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Chieftain Super Moderator

The post of Culture Leader had no accepted candidates during the regular nominations. Therefore, a special election must be conducted. Nominations will be open for 48 hours and the election poll will be open for the same amount of time. If there are no accepted candidates this time around, this post will remain vacant.

2. CivGeneral

CivGeneral Valkyrie Cybernetic Grand General

I would like to Nominate Gainy_bo for this office

3. Bootstoots

I'll second Gainy and nominate D'yer Mak'er.

4. Bootstoots

I would also like to nominate Cyc, who says he can revive this department.

5. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Doggone-it, Boots! I wanted to be the one to nominate Cyc! :mad: :D I will wholeheartedly second him.

Let's give our First Cultural Minister a chance to show how important this position can be. I do hope he accepts.

6. deshelbr

deshelbr International Playboy

I third Cyc! If he is going to be telling us what we are doing wrong I would at least like him to be involved in the game.

7. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

I'm no International Playboy, deshelbr, but as I said in my resignation, I was a very dedicated DG player for 17 months. My 4,000 plus posts were all made in the Demogames except for a few. I would also have to say that most of my posts were very wordy.

So I'm not real sure by your wording of your last post in this thread if you're trying to be serious and call me out or put me down or whatever...or if you're just trying to provoke me in a friendly way to accept the nomination.

Basically, the only thing I haven't tried my hand at in this game, by taking the position or verbally or graphically leading by example or participation, is the Pres/VP role. And as I'm probably the DG citizen with the most t/c's notched on my gun (or close to it), that position aside from the mechanics of chat room, is not beyond my experience.

I have read another post in which you've said that the present DG3 is not flourishing. I disagree. The entire Government body with which our citizens interface the game with is entirely new. All us old fogies have stepped aside and the new regime has stepped up to the plate, so to speak. Except in the Culture Department. You should really fix that problem, not slash it from the game because you don't have the time for it.

Before I left, I tried to give a basic outline as to what the Culture Department could be like, but I doubt anyone took it to heart, because they were afraid if they put a lot of work into something that wasn't blood and gore and killing, they wouldn't be cool enough to stand up to the rest. The Culture Department is part of Civ 3, like it or not. If no one playing in DG3 has the imagination to make the position work or be active, don't kill the Department. Wait till someone comes along that can fill the shoes of the Ministers that came before, like we waited for you.

BTW, before I would even think about accepting this nomination, there would have to be quite a few changes made as far as the structure and responsibilities of the Department. Well, maybe not quite a few, but some changes anyway. This would take a lot longer than the time this nomination thread is open to realize. Discussion and polling would have to be done to get these things done.

But you see, I've just spent a lot longer than anyone else has (timewise) trying to get my point across about a lot of different aspects of the game. Well eyrei has been here as long as me I guess, but I think he took some time off. Anyway, I believe my time for leadership is done. As a citizen, it is my responsibility to make posts such as the one I made in the Culture Poll. Sorry if you didn't like it, 'cause I felt really good after posting it.

8. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

Cyc,

If you're willing to help make the Cultural department something we would all be proud of, I'm willing to help. Let me know what discussions and changes would be needed, and I'll work with them.

Hopefully you've see the website we're working on - I think that will fit in your vision.

-- Ravensfire, President of Fanatica

9. Peri

Peri Vote early and vote often

Cyc,
    Many people were stirred out of their slumber by your post Cyc. None of us knew what to do with the Culture Dpartment but you have indicated rather quietly that you have the germ of an idea.
    Rather than posting and running please help us to sort this out. How can you turn down our honest request. :)

Regards.

10. deshelbr

deshelbr International Playboy

Cyc, I'm not trying to put you down at all, I think what you said was very valid. I'm just saying that, as far as I can tell, your Culture Department post was the first one you made since resigning a few weeks ago.

Nothing we do would be permanent, so if you, or someone like you, won't fill the culture department then it will only be abolished until everyone feels like reinstating it. It is going to be de facto abolished anyway if it is left vacant.

I'm personally for having more offices in the government, just not strictly based off of the advisors screens in the Civ 3. I think our goverment needs to be based of our needs as a demo game.

11. Bootstoots

I'm going to make an official Election Office decree that these nominations will be open for 24 hours longer than the original posted time, so that this position has less of a chance of becoming vacant.

EDIT: My 1500th post (again...a triple post by me was deleted so you'll see two 1500 post notations)

12. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Part of the problem with the Culture Dept as the game is currently organized, is the governors take their control of queues so seriously that there is little of substance that can be done by Culture. Even so, there are some areas which we need a dedicated person to lead.
    • Organizing cultural "attack" to get foreign cities to flip to us
    • Organizing cultural defense, to keep our cities from flipping away. This is especially important for newly captured border towns.
    • Concentrating cultural development, especially Wonders, in one place, to give us a backup victory condition.

I would be willing to consider taking on the role, if there is sufficient support from the governors in the form of assurances that Culture input will result in appropriate build queues. I don't have a lot of time but should be able to squeeze it in. ;)

13. Plexus

Plexus Architeuthidae puericomedentis

I think that anyone so far nominated would make an excellent Culture Minister. I hope that under their guidance, they can make the Ministry something that I lacked the will to do.

That being said, I endorse Cyc specifically, as I think he has been out of the culture game for far too long, and I'd like to see what he can do.

14. Bootstoots

I'll nominate you, Dave.

15. Bootstoots

Extending this for a further 24 hours...but after that, this office will remain vacant.

DaveShack, I advise you make a decision on your nomination soon. :)

16. CivGeneral

I would like to nominate Civanator

17. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

I will second DaveShack. :)

18. CivGeneral

If no one accepts there nomination, I would like to extend the dateline to another 24 hrs.

19. naervod

naervod My current user title

I will nominate myself only if no one else runs. I am planning on returning to the DG, starting about... NOW. ;)

20. CivGeneral

Great to hear your return Naervod :D. Finaly the Deadlin exstention can be lifted :).