1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Special in-game rule settings?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game Revival: Polls' started by DaveShack, Feb 26, 2009.

?

Which in-game rule changes should we use?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2009.
  1. Passable Volcanoes

76.9%
  2. AI Aggression

38.5%
  3. Reduced Corruption

61.5%
  4. Horses for Statue of Zeus

61.5%
  5. Proportional Naval Movement

61.5%
  6. Make no in-game rules changes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

This is a multi-choice poll to determine which, if any, in-game rule settings will be used. Please vote for all rule settings you agree with. Those settings gaining 50% or more of the votes cast will be modified.

If you do not want any of the settings to be changed, vote "no settings changed". Your vote will count towards the total number of people voting, and therefore adjust the number of votes required to adopt a setting.

Definitions:

Making volcanoes passable
    Changing the terrain settings for volcanoes to make them mountains. (I think that's what it means)

Adjusting the AI aggression
    Changing the settings for AI aggression to make them more (or is it less??) aggressive.

Tweaking corruption
    Reducing the overall effect of corruption. Generally this leads to shorter games which have fewer unproductive towns far away from the capitol.

Statue of Zeus requirements
    Make the SoZ wonder dependent on having horses instead of ivory. This reduces the effect of luxury resource clustering on the wonder race and makes it available on ivory free maps and continents.

Proportional naval movement
    Give coast (3), sea(2), and ocean(1) tiles different movement costs, and increase the movement points of naval units (x9). This has the effect of speeding up long-distance crossings. Someone mentioned it is described in the GOTM forum.

2. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

You got Volcanoes correct and it was more aggressive.

Good poll.

3. DaveShack

For your play testing pleasure, here is a rules-only scenario file with what should be all the changes but the AI aggression one.

Attached Files:

4. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

5. DaveShack

All of the in-game rule changes except AI Aggression have been selected.

The above .biq file may have the correct changes for these rules. Please, someone should check it out and verify them, I don't want to be the only one who checks. :)

I have tested:
    • Can build roads on volcanoes. No way to keep them from erupting though.
    • The corruption level was set to 50% of normal. I hope that's enough to allow some production in the outlands without it getting too easy. The AI gets helped too, so it should not be a balance issue.

I have not checked:
    • If the differential naval movement is correct
    • If SoZ can be built with horses. My test civ ended up not having horses but did have ivory, and I didn't want to tweak the map. :rolleyes:

6. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

hi DaveShack.

i opened up the attached .biq and it appears all is as advertised :) wrt the naval mvmt and the SoZ, both appear to be set correctly (3 coast, 2 sea, 1 ocean & horses as req'd resource).

one thing to consider is whether horses should be w/in a city's radius if it is to appear in the build queue. not sure if this is desired but i thought i'd toss is out there :D