1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Speculation] Indonesia/Majapahit/Srivijaya

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by seancolorado, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

How likely is it that they are included as another civ? Anybody have any cases to be made or any leads? Or are we just looking at a pipe dream?

2. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

It's a possibility given the xp's focus on trade routes and such, and a number of fans here seem to like the idea - it's a pretty solid choice, I'd say. I'd still consider it something of a dark horse candidate, but not as much a dark horse as, say, the Huns were for Gods and Kings. Out of all the possible SE Asian civs, I see it as the most likely, given that Khmer and Burma are too close to Siam (and would be represented similarly, probably with elephant UUs and the like), and Vietnam, while a bit different than Siam, is still a tad bit too close (though I'd say it has the second best chance out of the SE Asian civs, though not really much overall).

So yeah, Indonesia's a possibility, particularly if the focus is on the medieval and early modern trading states in the region.

3. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I'd argue it's a possibility, but I don't want to pick odds. They included an Indonesian wonder. I'd argue they're the most likely from eastern Asia to be added.

4. AessaSH

AessaSH Warlord

From the cultural and geographical perspective, I think they have a possibility..

But it's all depending on how serious Firaxis hunting the materials for the civ such as voice actor, music, ect.. Or they just give up and pick the another civ which more familiar to them.. :cry:

5. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

With the inclusion of Borobudur, I would say their chances have increased significantly, also the designers did mention that they have been looking at fansites for inspiration, and some kind of Indonesian civ has been quite popular. Of course none of this is a guaranty

6. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

i'd say extremely likely with domestic trade routes coming in. majahapit was an empire founded on inter-empire trade and the new wonder increases those odds.

7. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

Did they really say that? Wow, mad respect for them if that's true

8. HeraldtheGreat

HeraldtheGreat King

I'm a big supporter of the Srivijayan dream, and it's more likely they're going to be included with all the stuff going around, and in my (fairly generous) opinion i'd say they're case is only slightly weaker than that of the Assyrians.

9. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

Forgot to mention, I've actually seen Singhasari thrown around here and there as another Indonesian variation but I didn't include it in the title because people seem to mention Majapahit/Srivijaya much more often

10. AessaSH

AessaSH Warlord

Nah, I think this thread's title is okay..
    I don't want to see the Indonesian fate become the same as Siam's.. They got the Sukhothai Kingdom rather than Ayutthaya..

Singhasari itself is predecessor of Majapahit.., both of them is Javanese Empires..
    While Srivijaya is a Malays Empire and Indonesia is the modern version of both.. :lol:
    So your thread is already representing three powerhouse of Maritime SE Asia.. :goodjob:

11. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

I'm holding my fingers crossed for Indonesia.
    They have a large chance of being included, if they aren't I will be very disappointed.

12. Haig

Haig Deity

What was the Majapahit Empire like, if you translate them into Civ V terms?

Peaceful? Warmongers? Religious?
    I think somewhere it was suggested a naval UU for them, and you seem to talk about them being a trade empire.

13. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

They were a trading powerhouse having made connections with Africa as early as 1st century (not a typo) and ever since they have been one of the major trading hotspots globally. They are the largest unified archipelago so there could some naval aspects involved

But they could also be faith(/culture) because of their syncretism which was pretty unique for its time

The least likely is something warmongering related. I do know that they were pretty powerful militarily (They were the civilization to "end" Kublai Khan's reign of power, that's no small feat) but I'm almost certain that's not what they would be about.

After thinking it out loud, I would say:

1. Trading/Diplomatic
    2. Faith
    3. Culture

With a chance of #1 being having an element from #2 or #3

14. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

Siam's UA would be the closest comparison

15. AessaSH

AessaSH Warlord

While waiting for new info.., let's speculate about how Indonesian image must be representing in this game..
    If they didn't make it in this expansion, at least we can use it as reference for modding..

Let's start with their color scheme.. :cool:

We can use different shade for the red color to distinguish with other red-white civs..
    Another alternative for their colors is combination of indigo, dark brown, or white..

16. Haig

Haig Deity

AessaSH the latter color scheme might be better as there's quite a few red/white ones, indigo and brown would look really sweet too I think.

17. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

I guess they have quite a decent chance of getting in.
    My hopes are we'll get more then one Asian civ in BNW, hopefully Indonesia and Vietnam/Burma.

As for colours, I'd say they should use something other then red-white. Indigo and brown/white will be more unique as we have so many red-white civs(England, Austria, Poland, Huns, Japan) already.

18. AessaSH

AessaSH Warlord

I know right.. :D

Actually I'm forgot to include their national emblem..
    For the sake of completeness.. Here is it..! :crazyeye:

Alternate colors : Gold + Red/Black/White

19. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

In all honesty I would like 3 more Asian civs (of the Eastern/Southern/Southeastern varieties), but I know there's no chance in hell that happens

20. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

I'll go out on a limb and say that Indonesia (in some form) is certain to be in this expansion. You can't do an economics-focused expansion and leave out a major linchpin of Indian Ocean trade. Plus, we need more Asian civs.

Portugal's certainly in, as well. (Despite having too many European civs, IMHO.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.