[Speculation] Indonesia/Majapahit/Srivijaya

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a possibility given the xp's focus on trade routes and such, and a number of fans here seem to like the idea - it's a pretty solid choice, I'd say. I'd still consider it something of a dark horse candidate, but not as much a dark horse as, say, the Huns were for Gods and Kings. Out of all the possible SE Asian civs, I see it as the most likely, given that Khmer and Burma are too close to Siam (and would be represented similarly, probably with elephant UUs and the like), and Vietnam, while a bit different than Siam, is still a tad bit too close (though I'd say it has the second best chance out of the SE Asian civs, though not really much overall).

So yeah, Indonesia's a possibility, particularly if the focus is on the medieval and early modern trading states in the region.

I'd argue it's a possibility, but I don't want to pick odds. They included an Indonesian wonder. I'd argue they're the most likely from eastern Asia to be added.

From the cultural and geographical perspective, I think they have a possibility..

But it's all depending on how serious Firaxis hunting the materials for the civ such as voice actor, music, ect.. Or they just give up and pick the another civ which more familiar to them.. :cry:

With the inclusion of Borobudur, I would say their chances have increased significantly, also the designers did mention that they have been looking at fansites for inspiration, and some kind of Indonesian civ has been quite popular. Of course none of this is a guaranty

With the inclusion of Borobudur, I would say their chances have increased significantly, also the designers did mention that they have been looking at fansites for inspiration, and some kind of Indonesian civ has been quite popular. Of course none of this is a guaranty

Did they really say that? Wow, mad respect for them if that's true

I'm a big supporter of the Srivijayan dream, and it's more likely they're going to be included with all the stuff going around, and in my (fairly generous) opinion i'd say they're case is only slightly weaker than that of the Assyrians.

Forgot to mention, I've actually seen Singhasari thrown around here and there as another Indonesian variation but I didn't include it in the title because people seem to mention Majapahit/Srivijaya much more often

Forgot to mention, I've actually seen Singhasari thrown around here and there as another Indonesian variation but I didn't include it in the title because people seem to mention Majapahit/Srivijaya much more often

Nah, I think this thread's title is okay..
I don't want to see the Indonesian fate become the same as Siam's.. They got the Sukhothai Kingdom rather than Ayutthaya..

Singhasari itself is predecessor of Majapahit.., both of them is Javanese Empires..
While Srivijaya is a Malays Empire and Indonesia is the modern version of both.. :lol:
So your thread is already representing three powerhouse of Maritime SE Asia.. :goodjob:

I'm holding my fingers crossed for Indonesia.
They have a large chance of being included, if they aren't I will be very disappointed.

What was the Majapahit Empire like, if you translate them into Civ V terms?

Peaceful? Warmongers? Religious?
I think somewhere it was suggested a naval UU for them, and you seem to talk about them being a trade empire.

They were a trading powerhouse having made connections with Africa as early as 1st century (not a typo) and ever since they have been one of the major trading hotspots globally. They are the largest unified archipelago so there could some naval aspects involved

But they could also be faith(/culture) because of their syncretism which was pretty unique for its time

The least likely is something warmongering related. I do know that they were pretty powerful militarily (They were the civilization to "end" Kublai Khan's reign of power, that's no small feat) but I'm almost certain that's not what they would be about.

After thinking it out loud, I would say:

1. Trading/Diplomatic
2. Faith
3. Culture

With a chance of #1 being having an element from #2 or #3

While waiting for new info.., let's speculate about how Indonesian image must be representing in this game..
If they didn't make it in this expansion, at least we can use it as reference for modding..

Let's start with their color scheme.. :cool:

Wikipedia : The national flag of Indonesia, which is known as Sang Saka Merah-Putih ("The Sacred Red-and-White") or Bendera Merah-Putih ("The Red-and-White Flag") or simply Merah-Putih ("The Red-and-White"), or sometimes referred to as Sang Dwiwarna ("The Bicolor") in Indonesian [1] is based on the banner of the 13th century Majapahit Empire in East Java. The flag itself was introduced and hoisted in public at the Indonesian Independence Day ceremony, on 17 August 1945. The design of the flag has remained the same ever since.
Spoiler :

We can use different shade for the red color to distinguish with other red-white civs..
Another alternative for their colors is combination of indigo, dark brown, or white..

Wikipedia : Javanese traditional batik, especially from Yogyakarta and Surakarta, has notable meanings rooted to the Javanese conceptualization of the universe. Traditional colours include indigo, dark brown, and white, which represent the three major Hindu Gods (Brahmā, Vishnu, and Śiva). This is related to the fact that natural dyes are most commonly available in indigo and brown. Certain patterns can only be worn by nobility; traditionally, wider stripes or wavy lines of greater width indicated higher rank. Consequently, during Javanese ceremonies, one could determine the royal lineage of a person by the cloth he or she was wearing.
Spoiler :

AessaSH the latter color scheme might be better as there's quite a few red/white ones, indigo and brown would look really sweet too I think.

I guess they have quite a decent chance of getting in.
My hopes are we'll get more then one Asian civ in BNW, hopefully Indonesia and Vietnam/Burma.

As for colours, I'd say they should use something other then red-white. Indigo and brown/white will be more unique as we have so many red-white civs(England, Austria, Poland, Huns, Japan) already.

I know right.. :D

Actually I'm forgot to include their national emblem..
For the sake of completeness.. Here is it..! :crazyeye:

Garuda : As for the national emblem, the Garuda symbolizes strength and power, while the gold colour symbolizes greatness and glory.
Spoiler :

Alternate colors : Gold + Red/Black/White

I'll go out on a limb and say that Indonesia (in some form) is certain to be in this expansion. You can't do an economics-focused expansion and leave out a major linchpin of Indian Ocean trade. Plus, we need more Asian civs.

Portugal's certainly in, as well. (Despite having too many European civs, IMHO.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom