Speculation on Amenity: quantity, and indirect control.

Abraxis

Spoiler :

Here is a photo of the growth bonus afforded by excess Amenity, I assume there are greater yields at incremental stages beyond happy, at least one.

Based on this growth bonus here, and the way they were speaking on the amenities distribution,
I think the amenity formula could be the most central mechanic by which population growth, city expansion, building value, district timing and choice... game pacing in general, pretty much everything is controlled and balanced by. Pretty much all other things are likely designed out from this concept, or formula, like a spine.

In Civ 5 there was just happiness. Quantity was all that mattered and this was their standard for pacing civ growth. They are very hesitant to say amenity is just the new global happiness, I think because it is significantly more complicated and has a new dimension they couldn't even begin to scratch the surface of in their demonstration. Civ 6 adds of course adds a new dimension, distribution which you can only manipulate indirectly. (yes civ 4 had it, but very simplified)

I think the growing game will be a careful balancing act you must maintain indirectly. On one hand you have the obvious quantity approach, grabbing up more luxuries, but on the other you have the use of entertainment districts -their use its own branch of cascading complexity. Pop them down too early and you're not getting actual yields from your population -but you are going to get a priority on the City for amenity, which means artificial growth bonus. Build another district instead and it's more like cashing in on your population immediately, lowering amenity priority but gaining raw yields now from your effective pop. (Over time this will balance out more as the percentage to yield catches up with raw yields, but I am mainly concerned with early game here).

For just getting more amenity there are luxury resources. But just focusing on quantity won't be enough to keep you competitive in higher levels, you need to keep control of distribution in order to manage your growth bonuses.

I was reviewing the Civs too as I think this is the first thing I'll be exploring now once I get my hands on the game. So as a more practical implementation of my thoughts, let's take Egypt. I suspect she may be in the best position to achieve highly controlled amenities within her cities (probably Brazil too but I havn't given them much thought).
She's in the best position to rush the collosium, as she will probably have quick early growth from flood plains to qualify for quick early districts, can build her entertainment districts (requirement to collosium) doublespeed, will certainly have flatland (again, requirement to collosium), and then can build collosium double speed. This will give her core a permanent weight to amenity distribution and help hold growth bonuses on her central cities.

Other civs particularly Rome for example seem like they can grow fast... and they can, but in a different way. I think they will struggle greatly by necessary and very intentional design, against lack of amenity control. They will certainly have availability of amenity -quantity, because more cities means more resources (also baths help a bit) but these will be spread out over their cities much more evenly, which means they need significantly more quantity to ever achieve artificial growth bonuses, even then with less control of where and weight.

I think that is a very important central idea to the game there, it will form the method and style by which you grow your empires. Open and disorderly growth -less control over your city growth bonuses. If you instead choose to prioritize control of amenities, focusing on entertainment districts, wonders, National parks, and whatever else they've given us to manage it, you will be more efficient and deliberate in your distribution of growth bonuses. which will give your more success specializing your cities and prioritizing development gambits based around that.

Anyways, I think the automation of amenity and the "department of luxury resources" is probably the heart of most of the peaceful strategic planning in the game, the careful indirect manipulation of which will be our measure of success. The direct manipulation of the formula, likely their direct method to balance an control most of the game's pacing.

Anyways, these were just my thoughts some expressed interested in and I thought were too off topic anywhere else. I tried to be concise but doctors keep poking me with drugs at the moment, so I apologize if it's entirely senseless and illegible, I'll have to review and edit later maybe.

There's something I think people are overlooking, and that's the Entertainment district. If it works like I assume, which is providing amenities for all cities within the typical "shared district" radius (6/8 tiles if I'm not mistaken), then it should be a huge benefit for helping your highly populous core remain happy while faraway settlements grow and develop. The buildings in the district also likely provide even more amenities (what else could they be for?).

Amenties seems to be designed to help small empires as large empires will have their resources spread around. This mean an empire with only a few cities will likely have happy cities while a large empire may have trouble keepning its cities happy.

Seems likely that there are a few levers that you can pull to directly affect amenities/city happiness.

Sure, you won't necessarily be able to affect directly the luxury distribution, but via adding entertainment districts/buildings as well as possible policies/etc, you can target amenities at specific cities, thereby putting you thumb on the scales wrt luxury distribution.

Wrt small vs large empires, larger empires will need more alternate sources of amenities, rather than just luxuries to stay happy. Which seems like a normative growth limiter and Rex slowdown. Get too big too fast and people aren't happy.

This post allows you to compare the amenities and housing in three Kongo cities. They had more sources than Ostia.

Citizen Growth, Amenities and Housing for Ostio of Rome:

Spoiler :

Amenities and Housing for three Kongo cities.

Kinchassa - 16 pop, 16/27 housing, 7/7 amenities
Was getting +1 amenity from national park as it was in range
Each Mbanza was giving a flat 5 housing (normal neighborhoods depend on appeal of tile such as Charming = 5)
Not sure all the buildings that are increasing housing (can see +3: granary +2 , 2 farms = 2 x 0.5 = +1)

Spoiler :

Kristiansand - 17 pop, 17/18 housing, 7/8 amenities
Had been captured from Norway so had War Weariness as a negative modifier on Amenities.
Housing level (one below soft cap) was causing -50% population growth rate.
Has +2 amenity from national park as was associated with this city. In tooltip it was "Kristiansand National Park"

Spoiler :

Mbanza Kongo - 16 pop, 16/16 housing, 7/7 amenities
Housing level (at soft cap) was causing -75% population growth rate.

Spoiler :

Ed discusses his 1:2:3 rule starting @20:00: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_F7_td7M5s&t=1200

• 1 housing needed for 1 pop
  • 1 amenities needed for 2 pop in empire
  • 1 district needs 3 pop. Unique districts, aqueducts/baths and neighborhoods don't count towards district cap.

There are three primary sources of housing from early to late in the game:
  1. Fresh water
  2. Improvements like farms and plantations
  3. Neighbourhoods

Seems like tile micro to keep marginal cities small and content and big central cities happy and growing will be the main method of managing luxury amenity distribution.

Im more interested in the bonus to all yields. As there are no % buildings that bonus is pretty much the only % bonus cities will get.

If we assume there are multiple happiness and unhappiness levels and the further from the middle the more extreme bonuses/penalties you get there will be some interesting tradeoff between expanding (and thus make it harder to concentrate amenities to a few super cities) or stay small (and thus generally have less population and less access to resources).

Happines level seems to work similar to combat strength, it is the difference between needed ammenities and amount of ammenities you have that seems to give your happines level. So +2 amenities mean the happy level. Maybe +3 or +4 give the next happiness level.

If the second happiness give +15% to all yield compared to the +5% and only take an additional 2 amenities to reach you get generally a larger benefit from a single 15% bonus then two 5% bonuses and they cost the same but because the game try to keep all cities at the same amenity level it can get really hard to reach high happiness if you found alot of cities, especially those that do not contribute to ammenities.

This mean an empire with a few but well placed cities may actually be significant more productive then an empire that expand blindly and thus have a very low average amenity level.

I don't think you cant really control amenities because the game seems to be designed around an average amenity level which mean as soon as the game get choices where to place the amenities (more then 4 cities) it is always those that need the amenities the most that will get them. It also seems very ineffective because if my guess the more extreme the better you really want to avoid cities that drain amenities. It is not global happiness but it is built on similar principles but less forcing. It is similar because it encourage you to build large cities but in a less forcing way.

I think there's only 1 level of happiness.

I could see multiple levels of Unhappiness, but if there were multiple levels of happiness, the autodistribution of luxuries would work against you.

I could see multiple levels of Unhappiness, but if there were multiple levels of happiness, the autodistribution of luxuries would work against you.

I agree with this, it would be really bad to have multiple levels of happiness and no control over how amenities are distributed.

And why should it not work against you? It could as I said above the amenity system could be a way to keep a small empire who have large well placed cities competitive against a mindless city spammer.

Granary gives 2 housing

Barracks, Stable, University, Lighthouse all give 1
Palace gives 1 I think.

Thanks for summarizing. I can't find a tooltip for the Palace to confirm that one.

In Kinchassa see granary (+2), a university (+1) and two farms (2 x 0.5 = +1). So that is +4, short +1.

Kristiansand has a granary, a regular farm and a rice farm. So that should be +3 with +1 unaccounted for.

Mbanza Kongo has a granary and a university so that should be +3 with +1 unaccounted for.

There are no encampments or harbors in those cities. So the unaccounted for +1 must be from a building that is in common for all of them that we are not aware can provide housing.

What I'm hoping is that when you're deciding whether to trade an amenity, I really hope that a mouseover tells you whether trading something will make no difference b/c it is truly surplus.

What I'm hoping is that when you're deciding whether to trade an amenity, I really hope that a mouseover tells you whether trading something will make no difference b/c it is truly surplus.

Yeah, something that says how many you have+how many are being used would be good.

I got the impression during the YT playthroughs that the trade screen showed all luxury and strategic resources you owned and when you clicked on them it put the maximum up for trade. Seemed to be too easy to trade items that you might be using. If that was the case, hopefully it will be improved during the polish phase.

I agree with this, it would be really bad to have multiple levels of happiness and no control over how amenities are distributed.

I think so far, the only thing we can't control is amenities from luxuries, everything else you can control, it's not hard to get a stupid amount of amenities in one city.

like, you can have 4 close cities, with 4 Entertainment Districts pumping amenities between them, so it's like each city gets 4 Entertainment Districts worth of amenities. the range looks like it is 6 tiles, so pretty easy to do.

If the reward for extra amenities is good (so far, 5% for +2 amenities is pretty bad...) you can easily go out of your way to make your cities stupidly happy.

I think so far, the only thing we can't control is amenities from luxuries, everything else you can control, it's not hard to get a stupid amount of amenities in one city.

like, you can have 4 close cities, with 4 Entertainment Districts pumping amenities between them, so it's like each city gets 4 Entertainment Districts worth of amenities. the range looks like it is 6 tiles, so pretty easy to do.

If the reward for extra amenities is good (so far, 5% for +2 amenities is pretty bad...) you can easily go out of your way to make your cities stupidly happy.

I'm operating under the assumption that the amenities from multiple Entertainment districts don't stack, but I admit that that assumption may be incorrect. It just seems like it'd be a lot harder to balance if they stacked for other districts/buildings that affect multiple cities.

I'm operating under the assumption that the amenities from multiple Entertainment districts don't stack, but I admit that that assumption may be incorrect. It just seems like it'd be a lot harder to balance if they stacked for other districts/buildings that affect multiple cities.

yeah, maybe they don't stack. it will make Brazil and Germany districs a little worse, since they would lose the huge benefit of building them in all cities, if they don't stack there is no point in building them everywhere.

anyone know the number of amenities each building in the Entertainment districts gives? I think the first building is 1 amenities, don't know the others... (zoo and stadium).

The district alone, unlike the industrial district, gives nothing.

There are 2 levels of happiness. Its +9% with 3+ IIRC. I 100% saw that 9% figure in Yogscast, but it is hard to find it now. Anyway, here's the screenshot proving it, they have 6 x 0.3 culture from pop, 1 from palace and 2 from monument, which is 4.8 total, and they get 5.3 (I know it should be 5.2 but rounding is somehow messed up there, but trust me I know it, I was watching these videos almost frame by frame).

Spoiler :

There are 2 levels of happiness.
Atleast or at most?

The second level could be 3-4 surplus and there could be levels beyond that starting at +5, maybe there are alot of levels but getting huge surplus is not easy.

Top Bottom