[Speculation] Were all the DLC meant to be double civ packs?

Pouakai

It belongs in a museum.
So, this is just complete speculation, but I was playing the Korea scenario recently and I noticed that not only does the scenario-only civ of Manchuria have a unique icon, but they also have a map:

In addition to this, their unique unit (Banner cavalry) have a unique flag, although I believe their model is the Keshik. Finally, the atlas from the DLC has two placeholder icons, presumably for Manchuria since they're the only other units in the DLC.

Then of course we have the Wonders of the Ancient World, with both Sumer and the Hittites being entirely new civs, with the exception only of leaderheads. They're the most complete scenario civs ever, with all the art present.

Denmark and Polynesia are less clear, although it's possible that Denmark was originally going to be in a pack with Norway since we have the Ski Infantry and Norway is present in the scenario. Polynesia on the other hand is the only one I can't figure out. The only thing I could think of would be something like Hawaii and the Maori, but then the Moai miss out and neither are in the scenario.

Honestly they could just make Sumeria and Hitties playable easy (UU already made) but for some reasons they don't.

I've kind of wondered about this: A lot of civs in scenarios are really well-rounded and interesting (if not always the most deserving), and would be pretty easy to put in - except you need those leaderheads. I'm not the biggest fan of Belgium getting in, for example, but in Scramble for Africa they had a really fun and unique UA and I'd love to play them in normal games.

I think the leaderheads are the hardest part - especially since you'd need to find someone to speak the languages of each of the leaders (Sumerian and whatever the Hittites spoke)

Akkadian, as I recall?

Anyways, both have been translated, so it can be done. Pronunciation is tricky, though.

Akkadian, as I recall?

Anyways, both have been translated, so it can be done. Pronunciation is tricky, though.

Hittites spoke Hittite, the earliest written Indo-European language. They wrote in cuneiform, which was used for Akkadian, Sumerian, and every other language in the greater Mesopotamian region.

Herpty Derp. Wrong again.

It's not a question of if it can be done so much as whether it's cost effective to do so. It's apparently been stated by Firaxis that creating the animated leaders is the most expensive part of creating a new Civ.

Which is ridiculous, since I'd turn off the animated leaders and just take the dialogs if I could.

I'd trade all the leaderheads for satisfying victory animations/endings.

Top Bottom