1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Speculative Mining

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by whitelaughter, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Olson

Olson Warlord

Mining/farming outside the BFC could be AI invasion bait to delay them getting into the BFC where things matter.

2. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Yeah, this. It's a hard-coded event.

I do the same trick with forts to try and get a jump on new strategic resources.

3. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Well color me newbie ^^ ! I didn't know that You must work the mine to have a chance at a random resource :D - Now I feel a bit foolish (but there was nothing to do with workers atm so no loss hehe ^^ ;) ) It's one of those things I've learned after years of playing :)

4. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Emperor

grassy knolls in the bfc should start working early anyway, so no harm in "speculation"

5. Antilogic

Antilogic --

But then your prezzy gets shot... :(

6. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

There's an event that could be coded, then, that only happens if you're playing as the American Empire, are running Universal Suffrage, and have a We Love The President Day in a city that adjoins a Grassland Hill...

...question is, what should be the choices of outcome? I reckon:

- Use this as an excuse to clamp down on civil rights: Adopt Nationhood without incurring any turns of Anarchy.
    - Conduct a full independent enquiry that leaves no stone uncovered. Intelligence Agency gains +2 espionage.
    - Tell the dramatic story of the event and the investigation to the world! Gain a free Hit Movie.

7. crazyotto65

crazyotto65 Chieftain

I do speculative mining on hills in my territory that is outside of any city's BFC. If you mine a resource inside your controlled territory but outside of a BFC, your civ still 'gets' the resource!

As you progress down the tech tree, you unlock new resources - like coal and aluminum. If the hill already has a mine on it, you 'get' that resource instantly.

Only do this with idle workers who have nothing else to do - a last worker resort, if you will.

8. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

The problem is that Dallas was most definitely not having a "We Love The President Day" on 22 Nov 63. There were "wanted for treason" posters circulating in Dallas the day before his visit (http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5708828). Perhaps the condition should be "and have a city that has at least one angry citizen and adjoins a Grassland Hill..."

9. Midnight-Blue766

Midnight-Blue766 The filidh that cam frae Skye

That's horrible! :lol:

10. civfanchambers

civfanchambers Prince

To my knowledge new resources appearing on top of preexisting mines is a random event. All other resources are seeded at map generation. Going to the WB mode will allow you to see the placement of future resources revealed thru tech advances.

11. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

It's random, but might still happen in games with random events turned off.

12. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Agree. When I play marathon games for the long game and have random events off, I nearly always have one or two mines randomly discover a resource.

13. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

Mineral resources from worked mines are indeed there as early as Vanilla Civ4. It was pointed by Sirius (one dev around there in the past) that it was perhaps overpowered, but Firaxis went on anyways. It is something about 1/10000 chance per turn to pop something that is already enabled by a tech. Silver, gem, gold are natural minerals there from T0. Copper, iron, uranium, aluminium and coal all need their respective tech to start having a RNG to pop them. In the beginning, you have 3/10000 chance per turn to either have silver, gold or gem. When adding the early accessible iron and copper, it turns out to be 5/10000, thus 1/2000=0,05% chance per turn to have one of these.

Of course, one having a mineral resource popped before 1AD, on normal speed on top of that, is extremely lucky.
    Why slower speeds make the occurences higher? Because the game wasn't scaled and there is 3 times more turns on marathon than normal speed. And given marathon often allows a warmonger player to get a big empire earlier, then more worked mines mean even more chance to get minerals.

That covers all about mining resources that pop from worked mines. Now, what will be the reason to necro the thead?

14. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

To commiserate on the fickleness of the RNG.

I had a Ragnar game where I had a nice BFC with plenty of food and a nice river zig-zagging through it, a couple of nearby city sites with plenty of flood plains to cottage and gold. I popped gems on one of my grassland mines before 1000 BC. Ridiculously easy game.

Then I had a game with Churchill with little commerce in the starting BFC or nearby. Lots of hills. So what do I pop ~1200 AD? Iron.

15. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

I had a game where Gems and Silver popped in my HE city's mines. That was actually a hindrance, as they reduce the tile hammer yield D:

16. Pepo

Pepo Prince

i remenber a map with lots of hills where i build mines everywhere. at the end i have like 4 gold ,and some iron

and for those asking what should i do with my workers ,you can always make the maginot line v2.0(double or triple line of forts with a machine gun in every fort) covering all your frontiers.it will be has effective has the one in real life

17. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I recall two instances where I was very lucky with the random spawning of resources. On an isolated start I had gold, but no other happiness. Then in turn 50 or something, gems popped from the only mine being worked at the time. Jacpot!

Another time I didn't have much happiness resources either, and popped silver very early on, also well before 1AD. Stuff like that can be a real game-changer actually.

Didn't know it was 1/10,000 PER resource though. Thought it was 1/10,000 period, and then it was random what resource would pop if one did (depending on what techs you have ofc). Means it's slightly more likely to happen, but 1/2,000 for example is still pretty crummy odds.

18. Macksideshow

Macksideshow Prince

I popped gems and then copper in my HE city a couple of games ago, both in the space of a few turns. I was happy for the gems, it cost me a raw hammer but I didn't already have them. Then copper made it all better.

19. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

it's 1/10,000 per resource, per turn, per worked resourceless mine. Adds up to a pretty decent chance in each game, esp for huge/marathon.