Sphere of Influence

Legen

Emperor
When you get Sphere of Influence on a CS you're at war with.

sphereOfInfluenceWars.PNG

Also fun to demand tribute as if you had Tyranny.

tribute.PNG

The first may be unintended, but I quite enjoy both.

EDIT: pressed enter by accident when writing the tile...

Sphere of influence shouldn't exist. This resolution is somehow unreal (I know we are playing a game). Whether a CS wants to stay allied permanently with a nation should be its own will.

Sphere of influence shouldn't exist.

In a similar vein, I hate Decolonisation, I've removed it from my game. You could do the same with sphere of influence; just comment out the entry in Congress.xml like this:

Code:
<!--
        <Row>
            <Type>RESOLUTION_SPHERE_OF_INFLUENCE</Type>
            <Description>TXT_KEY_RESOLUTION_SOI</Description>
            <Help>TXT_KEY_RESOLUTION_SOI_HELP</Help>
            <VoterDecision>RESOLUTION_DECISION_YES_OR_NO</VoterDecision>
            <ProposerDecision>RESOLUTION_DECISION_CITY_CSD</ProposerDecision>
            <SphereOfInfluence>true</SphereOfInfluence>
            <TechPrereqAnyMember>TECH_STEAM_POWER</TechPrereqAnyMember>
        </Row>
-->

In a similar vein, I hate Decolonisation, I've removed it from my game. You could do the same with sphere of influence; just comment out the entry in Congress.xml
I wouldn't mind to leave them be in the game though. I have played 2 games with VP and haven't seen any AIs propose these res. However, it would be more interesting if making a CS perma-allied becomes a rewarding process. Specifically, a player could become perma-allied to a CS if he meets all certain requirements (e.g., have an embassy in CS; have at least [X] influence points on the CS; have become allied with CS for [X] turns; have completed at least [X] quests given by CS)

History said otherwise. ;)
Forgive me for not being very knowledgeable about world history but I would love to read some references to such otherwise.

I wouldn't mind to leave them be in the game though. I have played 2 games with VP and haven't seen any AIs propose these res. However, it would be more interesting if making a CS perma-allied becomes a rewarding process. Specifically, a player could become perma-allied to a CS if he meets all certain requirements (e.g., have an embassy in CS; have at least [X] influence points on the CS; have become allied with CS for [X] turns; have completed at least [X] quests given by CS)

I had a very interesting game (not yet finished, as most of my games), where the AI and I manage to unite the world against the World Congress Leader (which was fortunately not the host) and pass both Sanction and Decolonisation against him in the same WC (the third resolution was a World religion)
(he still managed to get rid of the sanction at the following WC since this "alliance" did not last long)

Forgive me for not being very knowledgeable about world history but I would love to read some references to such otherwise.
Basically, a Sphere of Influence is where a country is so influential(military-wise, not culturally) that they can cause other countries to feel mere puppets to them. This is the evolution of the long line of vassal and tribute states where directly controlling territory seems to be a hassle and a mistake to not be repeated.

You see this mainly at the late post-1800s in...
  • "Scramble for Africa" after agreeing to who gets whom in the Congo Conference.
  • The "Sphere of Influence," hence the term, on China itself divided by several Western(and Japanese) powers.
  • America's Roosevelt Corollary - Taft's Dollar Diplomacy - Wilson's Moral Diplomacy in the Latin American continent.
  • Nazi Germany's Vichy France.
  • Japan's Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere in eastern Asia.
  • Soviet Union's "satellite states."

Basically, a Sphere of Influence is where a country is so influential(military-wise, not culturally) that they can cause other countries to feel mere puppets to them.

Right, but in VP a Sphere of Influence isn't brought about through military means, but through the world congress. Are there any real world examples where a supernational body like the UN or League of Nations has passed a resolution similar to Sphere of Influence?

Right, but in VP a Sphere of Influence isn't brought about through military means, but through the world congress. Are there any real world examples where a supernational body like the UN or League of Nations has passed a resolution similar to Sphere of Influence?
I don't think Civ's WC can be closely matched to any specific real world international bodies. The thing is that ingame you're officially declaring that no one can approach your influence over that state. It does affect your world standing so it's a good idea to prepare for war if you're enacting that a bunch of times.
I view it as an abstraction of manipulating states under your influence and having the necessary resources/standing to back it up since it was allowed by the rest of the world.

Reading that makes me wonder why we got one big WC where we deal with a few civs entirely different proposals instead of a bunch of smaller congressional events..
Didn't @Enginseer talk about making some congressional-like events at some point? Were there feasibility issues?
The fact that you deal with 3 separate issues makes it harder to control everything. Less issues = more power per delegate.

The fact that you deal with 3 separate issues makes it harder to control everything. Less issues = more power per delegate.
When I say smaller congressional events, I mean that there should be more issues so more civs have a stake in diplomacy. Currently those 3 separate issues are proposed by 3 civs and all potential enactments are available regardless of what's going on in the game (provided the necessary techs ofc). I like dynamic games.

I don't really like the way sphere of influence is applied in game. Wouldn't it be more realistic and better for play if sphere of influence simply allowed you to annex/puppet the CS as if you had acquired it via a trade deal?

Reading that makes me wonder why we got one big WC where we deal with a few civs entirely different proposals instead of a bunch of smaller congressional events..
Didn't @Enginseer talk about making some congressional-like events at some point? Were there feasibility issues?
Initially, it seemed to work. But it became way too buggy. I had to include a lot of workaround fixes while also introducing AI logic in Lua(which is inefficient compared to DLL). Mainly it only had two categories of congressional events since these were the easiest to detect performance-wise.

(Religion wise) At least 2 other civ have the same religion as you and the one that owns the Holy City's religion that is reformed becomes the leader.
(Ideological wise) At least 1 other civ have the same ideology as you and the one with the highest score form the ideological leader.

Initially, it seemed to work. But it became way too buggy. I had to include a lot of workaround fixes while also introducing AI logic in Lua(which is inefficient compared to DLL). Mainly it only had two categories of congressional events since these were the easiest to detect performance-wise.

(Religion wise) At least 2 other civ have the same religion as you and the one that owns the Holy City's religion that is reformed becomes the leader.
(Ideological wise) At least 1 other civ have the same ideology as you and the one with the highest score form the ideological leader.
Ah, thanks. I suppose we're stuck with WC only if DLL sorcery is out of the question for congressional events.

In a similar vein, I hate Decolonisation, I've removed it from my game. You could do the same with sphere of influence; just comment out the entry in Congress.xml like this:

Code:
<!--
        <Row>
            <Type>RESOLUTION_SPHERE_OF_INFLUENCE</Type>
            <Description>TXT_KEY_RESOLUTION_SOI</Description>
            <Help>TXT_KEY_RESOLUTION_SOI_HELP</Help>
            <VoterDecision>RESOLUTION_DECISION_YES_OR_NO</VoterDecision>
            <ProposerDecision>RESOLUTION_DECISION_CITY_CSD</ProposerDecision>
            <SphereOfInfluence>true</SphereOfInfluence>
            <TechPrereqAnyMember>TECH_STEAM_POWER</TechPrereqAnyMember>
        </Row>
-->

Can you show me how to disable SANCTION?

Code:
UPDATE Resolutions
SET VoterDecision = NULL
WHERE Type = 'RESOLUTION_PLAYER_EMBARGO';

UPDATE Resolutions
SET ProposerDecision = NULL

UPDATE Resolutions
SET EmbargoPlayer = 'false'

DELETE FROM Resolutions WHERE Type = 'RESOLUTION_PLAYER_EMBARGO';

Top Bottom