"Spheres of Infulence" with the Barbarian Tribe

Starke Von Oben

Chieftain
Has anyone tried this?

You can use the Barbarian civ to simulate 'spheres of infulence', by placing an immobile unit in the Barbarian city belonging to one of the various main Civs.

This stops the Barbarian city from producing units, and can start a 'war' if another civilization attacks the city in question (as it will be attacking the unit of the civilization within the Barbarian city).

I'm not sure, but can events be used to delete the immobile unit and replace it with the unit of another civ? Perhaps Czech cities start off under Allied control (stop Germany becoming too aggressive), but at a later date (Treaty of Munich) the immobile Allied unit is deleted and replaced with a German immobil unit?

Example:

In 1938 Germany didn't 'attack' Austria, it simply marched into it. Have an immobile unit placed within the city belonging to Germany to 'secure' it as a sphere of influence for the German player. If any other country attacks any Barbarian/Austrian cities it will ignite a war with Germany.

I have seen this kind of thing tried in several scenarios and it does work. If the unit placed in the other Civ's city belongs to the player I don't think they have to be immobile as the player canot move them (correct me if I'm wrong about that). The AI is more likely to move them out of the cities, so making them immobile makes sense, unless you want the AI to capture the city on turn one for the purposes of the scenario.

I'm not sure if creating a foreign unit in a city via events would work. Give it a try!

I will be keeping a note of this in my Civ2 ideas book for future reference.

I'm not sure if creating a foreign unit in a city via events would work. Give it a try!

It works! Just tried it now.

You can also move the unit as a player, but can't directly select it... you need to go through all your units first to get to it.

Unfortunately there isn't an event that 'kills' a unit... or am I missing something?

Top Bottom