1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

spies.. are -- fun? How to prevent enemy spy activity?

Discussion in 'CivRev - Strategy & Tips' started by parachute4u, Feb 19, 2010.

1. parachute4u

parachute4u Chieftain

A mine has been destroyed!
    A camp has been destroyed!
    A granary in ... has been destroyed!
    A farm has been destroyed!

For me, it is not uncommon to receive 2 or 3 messages every turn mid-/late-game (for 100+ turns!). It is annoying + it is effective, sort of... Charly (huge, backwards and preparing to attack since 1000BC) is destroying a harbor, granary, costums house, sabotaging iron works production etc. It really hurts... An ivory camp got pillaged by his spies at least 20 times, gold mines are destroyed (and I notice 10+ turns later, because I have to take care of other AI`s who are huge like Charly, but who are NOT backwards and who might be building nukes :cry:...)

I am out of ideas as to how to prevent enemy spy activity.

Things I did:

1) cancel open borders (helped a little bit)
    1a) revolt into mercantilism
    2) station spies in the capital and in border cities (didn´t help at all)
    3) park a spy on top of the ivory (didn´t help)
    4) perform counterespionage (didn´t do much, though I caught a bunch of spies afterwards)

What else can I do? Does it help to focus espionage points on him?

Espionage really messes with my games... It has happened many times that I started a war in order to eradicate a minor/beaten/defeated/backward/or otherwise insignificant civilization for the sole reason to get rid of their hordes of spies invading my lands!

When I go to war now, I feel kind of forced to either vassalize or annihilate my opponent. If I let them live they will make my life like living hell. Sometimes they even shut down research alltogether and go 100% offshore guerilla from abroad :crazyeye:

How do you guys handle those spies? Ignore them? Build more workers? Any help/tipps would be very much appreciated :)

2. ericball

ericball Chieftain

You will probably get a more useful response is you ask your question in the correct forum.

3. parachute4u

parachute4u Chieftain

yes, will do :)

4. celia19O5

celia19O5 Chieftain

I think you have done right those steps, so what is the problem :confused:
    Ah I will ask my brother for answer. he is good at this game :)