Spies

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by DngrMse, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Codeman

Codeman King

i like to send a spy into enemy territory, running from city to city so i know just what kind of troops i'm up against.

2. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Emperor

I like to send a fighter plane on Recon. It reveals a good chunk of their territory and you don't even need Open Borders.

3. Bezhukov

Bezhukov Deity

The most valuable use of spies is to manipulate diplomatic relations and free up resources for trade. If one AI is trading with another, they will be reluctant to declare war on that civ. So you figure out what is being traded, disconnect the resource on the end of the AI you want to screw, then trade for the other resource yourself, eliminating the diplomatic bonus and boosting your own relations, happiness, and/or health. This is usually worth far more than 200 gold.

On the other hand, it is also viable to cut off strategic resources and/or spaceship parts, but these options are usually quite a bit more expensive and produce more temporary benefits. And Communism is available relatively early (compared, say, to the space techs) if you prioritize it. I'll often buy the Kremlin, then buy Scotland Yard at half-price to get them quickly.

4. Tech Step

Tech Step Warlord

I dont use spys and I dont intend to use spies. Communism imho is a wasted tech.

5. Yzman

Yzman Deity

I love spies. In my latest game, I used spies to keep destroying cyrus's aluminum source so I was able to quickly get the advantage in the space race to him. Ironically, I won by a diplo victory at the last second.

6. swinenston

swinenston Chieftain

Not a thing. This is not my complaint. They can spy on cities to good effect. My point was they come too late in the game to have any real impact. I feel they've missed a good opportunity to add a further, and historicaly important, aspect of subterfuge to the game. I should also add I feel the same about castles, in that they come far too late in the game to have any useful effect, given that they are negated once you get gunpowder units. Which I've never understood either frankly...

7. cabert

cabert Big mouth

I completely agree. Spies are not on my agenda. I almost never build scotland yard. It just comes too late, at a stage when you clearly know where you're going (if you don't you're losing!). As far as I know, romans (others too of course) used spies before christ!
    And castles being built that late is insane!
    I often have gunpowder before i can build a single one!:(

8. Karnor

Karnor Chieftain

I've found both walls and castles to be pretty useless in Civ 4. Rather than wasting time building either I prefer to rely on cultural bonuses for defense. Especially since either gets quickly destroyed by seige units anyhow.

Biggest benefit of a castle is probably the enormous +1 culture it gives! I've sometimes been forced to this when trying to rush buy culture in a culturally threatened city (only once I've run out of all other culture buildings of course).

9. Bezhukov

Bezhukov Deity

Um, Tech, thanks for sharing. People who say they're too late are just not prioritizing their research very well. You can definitely get them when you need them if you know how to use them. 200 gold a pop ain't cheap until you've developed a mid-late game economy anyway.

10. bluedevil99

bluedevil99 Warlord

Communism is actually my favorite tech in the game:
    Kremlin + Universal Sufferage + Cottage spam = late game domination
    State property civic is HUGE for big empires
    Spies definitely aren't overpowered but can be really useful