1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Spies?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by Goonie, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

I_am_sin7, zmei-gorynych. What do you guys think? I will add them to the user list if its ok with you guys. I dont trust them.

2. Fier Canadien

Fier Canadien Citizen

I believe we could let them a chance to prove themselves worthy of trust before the begining of the game. Then, if you still have doubts, you could post a trial poll for "treachery" that would, if they are proved guilty, permanently ban them from this forum.

3. Fier Canadien

Fier Canadien Citizen

I've got a look at the citizen registry to see who's in there, and all of a sudden, I saw this:
    Mariner II
    Name: Look left lazy fools
    Chatname: HOW DO I GET INTO CHAT??!!! (I'm sucha n00b)
    Aspiring: n00b
    Timezone: Montreal timezone, whatever that is
    PTW? Fo sho

His profile says he's living in Landsborough, Australia and that he his the owner of a restaurant… AND he's a montréaler separatist.

Sounds suspect for me...

4. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

Yes I was tricked by that.

Instead of posting seperate threads for each suspicious character, lets just post them all in here. only the players that have been in the singleplayer demogames BEFORE the PBEM game was announced, can view or post in it.

5. Eklektikos

Eklektikos Eponymous

Zmei-Gorynych is a registered member of the SP demogame and has been since at least december. Personally I don't much like this paranoia regarding any and all new posters in this forum... If you're really concerned about it then ask a moderator to check whether or not posters that you consider to be "suspicious" are DLs. Otherwise I think we should be working along the lines of "innocent until proven guilty", and not putting off new posters by automatically accusing them of spying. :rolleyes:

6. Fier Canadien

Fier Canadien Citizen

There is no intent to freak them out. I belive it should be set as a "administrative" process for all 50 & less and 2003 registered posters demanding acces to the thread, beginning when Thunderfall is "securing" the MP thread.

explanation: A guy that has 20 posts and registered in 2002 wouldnt be checked. But the same guy registered in 2003 would be "auto-checked".

Just an idea from nowhere.

7. Vander

Vander Privateering in Idaho

that's a good idea

8. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Chieftain

I say we "purify" them all with hot metal rods! After all, nobody expects the Fanatikan Inquisition!

But seriously, I think we need to keep on the lookout without being paranoid. Perhaps we should leak some "important information" and see if it shows up on any of the other sites? Just an idea...then we can find the mole. Or here's an idea: I think my neighbor is in the mafia. I can ask him how they find informants.... just a thought. ;)

9. eyrei

eyrei Chieftain Retired Moderator

What exactly are you going to check to prove someone is a spy? I think I know....nothing, because you don't have access to any information that the person doesn't volunteer. So, basically you are going to start witch hunts. I agree with Eklektikos. Enough with the paranoia.

10. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Chieftain

Me? Paranoid? I'm not paranoid..... WHO SENT YOU?! WHY ARE YOU HERE?!

I see Eklek's and Eyrei's points. We can't really find any spies, and really, what's the worst they can do? With the exception of knowing when we're going to war, our plan of attack, and other things like that, spies can't do much....

11. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

I'll hold back on the paranoia. Though we should check out anyone registering in 2003, I agree. Usually it takes people a month to discover that there is a demogame in these forums, then a few weeks to show enough interest to figure out what it is.

12. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

This is not meant to scare off newbs guys, just see what others think. If we completely ignored the possibilities of spies, then we would be naive.

13. Civanator

Civanator Chieftain

The MP Demogame didn't even start and people are rambling on about spies. jeese. also, you can check IP's for DL's.

14. Consul_Thud

Consul_Thud Chieftain

I'm a spy! Arrest me!

Here's something interesting: If I'm an ambassador to this team, where shall I set up my embassy?

btw, once this game gets started, I promise I'll leave willingfully. Though this will probably be locked by then.

15. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

Settle down, Senator McCarthy. We can't accuse people straight out.

16. Fier Canadien

Fier Canadien Citizen

This is not McCarthysm, this is protectorism.:crazyeye:
    This is "different" (only if you think different).

17. Mariner II

Mariner II Chieftain

I'm a man of many...whatevers

18. Fier Canadien

Fier Canadien Citizen

I had no intent to attack you, Mariner II, in particular. My main intention was to bring up everyone that I found suspicious. Your only problem was the profile/register conflict that, as I write, is now "corrected".

Yet, as everybody described in my proposition somewhere above, you should be investigated.

19. eyrei

eyrei Chieftain Retired Moderator

No, he shouldn't. As I said before, this nonsense needs to stop. Without the cooperation of the moderators of the other forums, there is absolutely nothing that can be investigated, so there is really no point of even discussing this unless that happens. And if you want me to cooperate, you are going to have to produce something more concrete than the fact that a person doesn't have enough posts, or hasn't been around long enough.

Just agree to a rule with the other sites that says that if a spy is caught from any team, that team is disqualified.

20. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

:goodjob:

Great. Now the assumptions may be stopped. Long live, eyrei.