Spies

NaSMaX

Chieftain
Are you only able to get spies with that embassy thing? If so, how do i get civs to accept them? America and Japan are unfriendly, and Egypt is ..... a dick.

Spy slots become available at certain Civics, starting with Diplomatic Service. You have to build Spies. They aren't free meta-units like in Civ V.

Spy slots become available at certain Civics, starting with Diplomatic Service. You have to build Spies. They aren't free meta-units like in Civ V.
Thank you for posting this! My first game was with France, so I knew I would get my first Spy at Castles. But my current game is with Egypt and I could not for the life of me figure out when I got my first Spy. Like an idiot, I checked the woefully useless Civilopedia, but it told me everything about spies except when I get them. I scoured the Tech and Civic trees for the Spy icon, but I couldn't see it anywhere.

What missions do the spies have now? any more aggressive ones like planting bombs or instilling civil unrest like in earlier cvs?

Missions are mostly district specific; you cans teal gold from cities with commercial hubs, or sabotage production in industrial districts which pillages all of the buildings within. Inciting unrest is one of them, yea.

Overall I really like the spies so far.

Being on the receiving end of multiple civs multiple spies all stealing your gold and sabotaging your districts gets pretty frustrating. On defense you might need two or more counterspies in one city to defend at which point it seems they move to another city and continue.

Stealing my tech - who cares. When you sabotage my industrial district during my space race and I need 3-4 turns to rebuild all the buildings; that matters. When you have 500 gold treasury and gain 80 per turn and two different civs steal 500 gold from you; that matters. The consequences seem to be more severe, probably is a good thing but still frustrating when it first happens.

Definitely gives more reasons to just genocide your enemies instead of leaving them alive to spy grief you forever.

I've really enjoyed the Espionage system so far, except for one aspect of it. When you assign one of your Spies to counterspy the mission only lasts a few turns and you have to navigate three different menus just to assign them back to the same location. When you have multiple spies spread out counterspying it can be really annoying to reassign them constantly. Beside that though, I feel as if espionage has found a perfect balance in Civ VI of being useful and engaging both in offense and defense. I thoroughly enjoy capturing enemy spies and ransoming them back.

Top Bottom