Spiritual and spys

I know i troll this forum looking for tips i hadnt thought of. Two i havent seen here i discovered in my last game and both seem to be worthy of repeating.

A reason to take spiritual:
short version: The ability to gain +1s standings with very small downside when an AI ask you to change civics.
long version: For most of my civ4 games [quite a few now] I have thought very poorly of even considering changing a civic at the AIs request. This has needlessly resulted in -1 you refused our favoric civic. My thoughts were i dont want to bother with 2xAnarchy and an inefficient civic. However with spiritual you avoid the 2xAnarchy and it becomes alot more practical.

Now ive heard of people noting the no anarchy. However ive never heard anyone mentioning it in easing diplomatic choices.

So there you go one tip to consider. And when your evaluating it keep in mind its usually a +2 swing when you consider that refusing a civic that an AI wants you to take is -1. Most of the time with spiritual i think its totally worth it to take the civic then switch back.

And if your wondering even when you switch your civic back you still get to keep the "+1 you accepted our favorite civic"

And on a side note spiritual is also the civic that speeds up temples and if your a growth oriented person you will build ALOT of temples. Its not uncommon for me to have 3 types of temples in each city.

--------------------------------------------------
Spys:
For some reasons this was the first major offensive war where i had a spy around. I never heard this ne mentioned before either. When people talk about "what are spys for" they usually talk about what attacks a spy has.

However! After one major war with a spy around I can say i will never again go to a major war without one.

What you do with them is run them ahead of your troops. You can decide targets in this way. Since the spy is generally immune its like being able to look where ever you want. I kept one scouting for my main stack and it made my decision making alot more precise.

On a side note: if explorers were invisible like spys i would prolly keep a couple around. Someone change that~ [sigh no i cant bring myself to play modded civ]

I would also like to mention the egypt UU. Ive seen this mentioned but never emphasised i dont think. The egypt UU is no slouch. All you need for tech is horses. Once you hook them up you get an immune to first strike 20% withdrawing 5 attack 2 speed unit that is just a terror. You can get them FAST and they horde FAST. Horses near your initial starting city basically guarentee you can take out a neighbor or deal easily with barbarians.

Top Bottom