Spiritual suggestion

dirtyparrot

Upholding Brannigan's Law
In terms of the other 9 traits, the Spiritual trait is probably by far the weakest. My suggestion to try to beef it up a bit by doing something like double the research rate of techs associated with a religion and the ability to make missionaries without a monastery.

Spiritual is NOT one of the weakest traits. It gives the player much more flexibility.

I agree. No Anarchy is actually rather powerful if you utilize it correctly. However, if you really want to boost it, make it so Missionaries start with the Morale promotion would provide a small boost without overpowering it.

I think Traits are something that should be dumped or transformed into something that changes over time with player decisions. They should be earned, say by building Great Wonders or qualifying in some really difficult way, not just picked before the game starts. Like Spiritual could be earned if you maintained a state religion for X amount of time and built X amount of religioius buildings. Could this potentially imbalance things in favor of those who are already winning? Not that much, because to earn a trait you would have to make sacrifices. While building all those temples you aren't building the markets and towns and roads and harbors needed for Financial. You are maintaining a state religion that may cost you diplomatically. It isn't, "Hey, I"m the most powerful civ so I can get all the traits!"

I think Traits are something that should be dumped or transformed into something that changes over time with player decisions. They should be earned, say by building Great Wonders or qualifying in some really difficult way, not just picked before the game starts. Like Spiritual could be earned if you maintained a state religion for X amount of time and built X amount of religioius buildings. Could this potentially imbalance things in favor of those who are already winning? Not that much, because to earn a trait you would have to make sacrifices. While building all those temples you aren't building the markets and towns and roads and harbors needed for Financial. You are maintaining a state religion that may cost you diplomatically. It isn't, "Hey, I"m the most powerful civ so I can get all the traits!"

Reminds me of Spore, where the actions you do in one stage determine what you are the next.

As of BTS, I agree with the statement of the OP. Given that you can now use GA's to change civics/religion with no penalty + build Cristo that give you the same ability in the modern age, this trait lost most of its value. It saves 5 turns/game at most - so what!? It's somewhere around Protective imo; maybe still a bit better since Pro is kind of bad. At least cheap temples help if you're going for cultural.

Well if you make use of the fact you can change civics quickly/for free then it saves a LOT more than 5 turns. Especially seeing as some civs cost loads of turns to change civics/leaders, I did 1 change that took 5 turns in one game playing as Mao.

Yeah, it would save 5 turns/game if you played normally. If you learn how to exploit it however, you can gain MAJOR advantages. You can potentially switch civics every 5 turns. Any good player will make use of this and switch civics a good 100-150 times a game, to suit what they need the civics for. In addition, this trait has good diplomatic incentives. If a civilization demands that you change your civics or religion, just do it, and get the +1 relationship boost. 5 turns later, switch back.

Spiritual is one of the most powerful traits in the game, but it's not a passive trait like Financial or Creative. You have to purposely exploit it but if you do the rewards are certainly there.

Aggressive and Protective need buffing IMO. Perhaps Aggressive could have an economic benefit, like -50% unit maitenance or something. Protective, I don't know... but maybe some sort of espionage bonus. Imperialistic is decent arleady but could use a cheap building like Jails.

Top Bottom