Spl01 - Noobish Players Try the Concurrent Format

Splime

Regular Lurker
For those that have seen ruff_hi's "Ruff02 - Concurrent Succession Game", this is basically that, only for a more "noobish" audience.

If you haven't seen that SG, basically, everyone (or half of the roster) plays the turnset at once. Then, the players vote on which turnset to continue from, and the cycle continues.

We'll be playing Prince level, and probably on continents. Also, for all those who join, should we pick our civilization, or let the game decide?

We'll have two groups of three, so three players will play the turnset at the same time.

Roster:
1. Splime
2. Pholkhero
3. Rex Tyranus
4. Autocon
5. Frankcor
6. Open
(7. Spinoza -- MIA)

Sign me up baby, sign me up.

how will we choose?? post reports and use simple voting??

edit: also, let's go Random civ ~ why not on Tilted Axis for an extra challenge??

ok, tilted axis it is, assuming the others are ok with that. We'll probably choose by just that -- post reports and simple voting.

If we're doing tilted axis -- should we do just regular continents on it?

I like to do all random w/tilted ~ unfortunately, it's the 'most random' you can be in the game, until a "random map" function is added. If we're going to do continents anyway, we might as well just do the regular continents map, no?

That's a good point. Ok, so things up for vote for anyone else who joins are:

- Tilted axis and random landmass, or something else?
- Random Civ or pick a civ?

That's all I can think of. If there's anything else I'm missing, please let me know.

EDIT: Game Speed -- Epic or Normal? (Not doing marathon, as it takes too long really. And quick... no, just no.)

usually i play on epic, but have no preference on speed, and, for Official Voting Purposes (TM), i vote for: Random civ, random tilted.

For voting purposes, a straight up majority (>50%) is needed. I'd have to vote for the stuff you've suggested -- epic, random civ, tilted axis, random landmasses. Also, I'm the tiebreaker in the event of a tie.

:bump:

Once we have three players, I think we can start a little, allowing more to join later on. Once we have a majority of the votes made, we could start by generating a start position (using the voted on settings w/ starting age on Ancient of course) and voting on the positions.

Is anyone else interested? It's taking a while for anyone else to join... Also, if no one else is interested, would they join if this were non-concurrent? (Sorry if this is considered unecessary bumping, it's just that I don't want this to just be left on page 2 when the larger flock of people come...)

What's you guys' time on turns. I have an open schedule, but I can't promise any better than one block a day, except weekends. Modern era, do you still do 10 turns a block, or do you scale down to five?

The other Concurrent game is one a week turn-set ~ play your turns in the beginning of the week, all post on wed, we discuss/vote thurs, fri for the 'winning save', sat-tues, playing and reporting...probably something similar here...

i would think that it would require, on avg, LESS of a time commitment (game-wise) per week, but would require more online participation in discussion...

and, ... give in... you want to play... you WANT TO PLAYYYYYYYYYY

Once a week? The game must pace like PBEM, huh? How many turns per block?

Sounds like I'm in, unless you folks object to a concurrent noob.

As for game conditions, I'm all for random everything. Regarding map, I like all but pangea (I like navy). Twisted axis rocks. I'd even be in for something weird (ice age, oasis, whatever).

Any varients?

Rex, you're in. By the way, I think we can go faster than once per week, but not by too much. Also, I've never done concurrent before, I've just seen it. Another thing I remembered -- Standard map size. Anyway,I think we can start now, and expand the roster later. Start by generating a start position (random everything besides tilted axis, epic speed, ancient starting era, and standard map size) and post it here.

Okay, here's what I got, and I must say, I'm in love. I was just thinking of starting a game with Hatty and lo and behold...viola!

By the bye, Hatty is Spiritual and Creative; UU: War Chariot.

Well, we sure as hell won't starve. Six flood plains, two clams, and a cow? What, no corn?

Hard to tell on the screen shot, is that two hills, or three?

Settler will pop the goodie hut right off the bat. <crossing_fingers>Mysticism, mysticism, mysticism.</crossing_fingers>

Hatty is good, but she doesn't start with mysticism. So, no early religion. We'll just have to steal us some holy cities, won't we? (That is, unless the goodie hut gods smile on Egypt this millenium.)

We have a choice to make right off the starting line. Animal husbandry or fishing? Two clams vs. one cow leans to fishing. AH reveals horses and Hatty's UU (war chariot) is only worth a scrum if you pop horses near your capital. I'm inclined to go AH, as we won't be able to build two work boats and work two tiles for some time.

The desert makes me nervous. Unless this is an arid map, we might have gotten the shaft. (Arid map means everyone gets the shaft, and that's okay.) Either way, the prospects for our next city might be grim. We must send out Bob (our warrior) to scout for Dot-Map the Magnificent.

That's my two :gold: off the start screen. Can't wait to get into it.

OK, I'll generate mine now. Rex, sorry if I didn't make this clear, but everyone makes the start position and votes (Make sure you save it but don't upload yet). If we take Egypt though (Early warfare would be nice, I miserably fail at it), I think fishing would be the way to go, because we can get TWO clams (slightly better than one) and have an exploring workboat.

If we do take Egypt, we can definately take advantage of civic switching, and Stonehenge won't be nearly as necessary.

Before we vote, make sure you check that the game had the correct settings (I almost made this a noble level game. If you don't know how, you can check the settings by clicking the Victory Button and looking under "settings".)

Here we go...
(Pic 1)
We got Kublai Khan, Agressive and Creative, UU: Keshik. Another early warfare civ, only the Mongols have a trait to match. We also start with the Wheel and Hunting, allowing roads immediately, and the prerequisite to Keshiks.

(Pic 2)
Here's the start position. We're going to pop a hut immediately, and have plenty of forests. We also have clams and corn. Looks like a nice start, but do we get agriculture or fishing first? Alternatively, we could get a religion, but it's beakers wasted if we don't found the religion.

(Sorry about the attachment thumbnails, imageshack was being slow)

Splime said:
Anyway, WATCH THIS SPACE, I'm going to edit my start into this in a few moments.
Okay, i've been watching this space for going on 20 mins now! My eyes hurt, dammit! :lol:

Sorry. I'm new to the format. (In fact, I've only played SG with friends, so we've probably bastardized many conventions.) I'm used to one guy starting and we all go from there. I'll post a start in five minutes.

Still, Pholk's start looks fun, but maybe I'm just hungry.

Sorry about that pholkhero. Taken care of now.

If rex says 5 minutes, and he does the estimation I did, that means... an hour... lol.

Top Bottom