*Spoiler* Mongols Halloween Treat

cracker

Gil Favor's Sidekick
There will be only one spoiler thread for discussion of the Mongols Halloween Treat Quick Game.

Under penalty of agonizing death by having molten silver poured into your nose and ears, YOU MUST DECLARE THE CLASS and SOFTWARE (PTW or Civ3v1.29) VERSION OF THE Mongol Treat Game THAT YOU ARE PLAYING when you present any information from your game

ANY POSTS THAT do not have an game version identity may be removed from this discussion.

Please read these instructions to make certain you DO NOT run afoul of the spoiler participation rules.

For this game the rules are simple: Play the game first until you die or kill everybody else. Take notes while you play and then come here when you are done.

You may post screenshots of cool stuff, but try to be courteous and crop and/or downsize the images to less than 800 pixels wide.

Again we hope you are all enjoying this conquest target objective game.

As a reminder, please place one of the following two graphic icons at the beginning of any spoiler posts that include information from your game or discussion of features that relate to:
CONQUEST Class games
PREDATOR Class games

You can just use the quote button on at the upper right corner of this message to reveal how these image tags look and then you can cut and paste them into your own messages.

------------------------------------------

OK, I saw the might of the horse riders and I am ready for the real deal. God give me strenght to wait for the GOTM25 for some 5 or 6 more hours...
Actually, the main course of the game will not differ from my usual ways of playing the Game.
Expansion. Expansion. Expansion. GL. GA. Attack the weak. Weaken the Strong. Divide. Leo this time(GA, if not achieved via UU), JSB, Adam's.
Like in the Arab game, we are situated in the middle of the map - very unstable geostrategic position, multiple neighbors, gotta be a good diplomat and warrior to keep your frontiers intact.
So good luck, everybody, the Domination scenario is my personal favorite (achieved Diplo Victory@1510, but still missed crushing my neighbours and going further towards "Japan invasion" in the Korean game), hope you all enjoy the new game as much as I will enjoy it.
And congrats, Cracker, keep doing the stuff you do.

Just finished playing the haloween treat. Great units, great job to Cracker and his crew :goodjob:

Won the game before 2000BC giving a incredible Fireaxis score of 17735 !!! :crazyeye:

This one is really a must for all.

MPF

Attachments

• haloween.jpg
    haloween.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 672
Open - Mac v1.29f

@ MPF... hope you like molten silver!

Good conquest though.

This game was great - a good way to get used to the Mongol special units, and a very enjoyable quick game in its own right.

I stumbled across a new (to me at least) technique in this game which can be very powerful. I guess I'll call it an "ally funnel". As you will see, it is amusing to have used it as the Mongols.

I started by:
1) Rushing two settlers, then sending them and the existing settler to each claim a new luxury.
2) Except for those two settlers, every town rushed one of the special units every turn for the first three turns. That cost an extra 40g per unit after the first turn (only 40 by rushing a worker at full price, then switching to special unit and rushing that.) I figured the expense would be worthwhile for a maximum speed assault. I rushed Bagatur Hordes and Turghaut Cavalry in the towns with barracks, Ordu Archers and Korchin in the other towns.

The units built in the first three turns headed toward the German border. I'd decided to attack Germany first because I expected her to be easier than Iroquois - Germany's horses and iron were near our border and could be taken from her very quickly. I wanted speed for my first rival because I wanted to get most of her gold, before she spent much of it. I also wanted the Pyramids, just because they improve score a bit :)

After the first three turns I rushed a unit in every town on every second turn until I ran out of money.

In 3650 I attacked Germany with my units grouped in two assault stacks, one for the horse town, one for the iron.

I paid Iroquois for an alliance against Germany, because I was very concerned about being ganged up on. Germany had lots of money and could easily buy an alliance from Iroquois. This pre-empted that possibility.

As I progressed through Germany, each town captured or razed gave quite a bit of gold. I used that to continue rushing units. The Golden Age made it possible to short rush in a few towns which had good production.

I got a leader early in the war and used him to rush Sun Tzu's. I had a lot of elites already and figured I'd get a second leader before I was ready to build a Forbidden Palace. (Guessed wrong as it turned out, it was a very long time before another leader appeared.)

The war against Germany went slowly but steadily. In 3250 I captured Berlin with the Pyramids. Around this time I started thinking about what I'd do about the Iroquois. They'd been sending a lot of units through my territory. These units were getting close to what was left of Germany but probably wouldn't actually reach Germany before I finished her off. Then what would I do? The scattered Iroquois units all over my lands could wreak a lot of havoc if they declared war on me at that point. If I tried to destroy them all I'd probably fail. Iroquois units I counted in my lands were 30 Knights, 6 Medieval Infantry, 2 Swordsmen, and 2 Longbowmen. Too many. If I divided my troops against hers, I'd lose some fights when I attacked and the surviving Iroquois could wreak havoc before I hunted them down. I could focus on defense until the Iroquois all returned to their lands (assuming they didn't declare war after Germany was gone) but that would lose me a lot of time.

Then I saw a plan to make any Mongol proud! I started using all units I could spare from my ongoing attacks against Germany to guide the separate Iroquois stacks in my lands to a single central path. I even used my workers to help with this. I guided them by blocking all paths I did not want them to take.

When I was ready to take the last German town on the east coast I held off doing so for a couple of turns. I wanted to maintain my friendship with the Iroquois. But I blocked the Iroquois from reaching that last German town, and this caused her units to return toward home. They could see that I had the situation in hand and could not help. They suspected nothing, seeing just lines of Mongols cheering them as they returned home. The funnel at this point (3100) is shown below in two pictures. The top picture is the eastern part, the second picture is a continuation west from the top picture.

For each of the next three turns, as the Iroquois moved toward home through the funnel, I collapsed the eastern part of it which was no longer needed and those troops hurried past the returning Iroquois, using roads on the sidelines to get ahead of them. When the first returning Iroquois troops were about to exit from the western end of the funnel. I closed it, moving a unit there who informed the early returners that they should go back to join their main force. (I opened an alternate possible return route part of the way back along the funnel.)

On the next turn the Iroquois units were where I wanted them. They were exposed and travelling (unfortified) through my "killing field" - flatlands between my hordes. It was time to strike! First I finished off Germany. This was an important technicality. Never would the Mongols butcher their friends. When I finished off Germany the Iroquois of course concurred that our alliance was over. And thus I no longer needed to consider them to be friends.

Here's how the remaining western part of the funnel looked at the time:

This image includes all the returning Iroquois units I'd succesfully guided - 28 Knights, 5 Medieval Infantry, 2 Swordsmen and 2 Longbowmen. The largest single stack of them is inside the red circle - 19 Knights there. Inside the green circle is my largest single concentration of troops - 13 Bagaturs, 7 Ordu, 2 Khorchin. But all my other nearby units are highly mobile and some small stacks are placed at intervals along the line so that they can strike whereever more strength is needed. My military advisor considers our forces average vs. the Iroquois before the assault. I declare war on the Iroquois.

My Mongol hordes fire a hail of arrows into the trapped Iroquois, then swoop in on them from all sides. It is a massacre. Not a single Iroquois survives, and not a single Mongol is lost. It was a close thing though - at the end of the slaughter I had just 3 units left in reserve. The center of the killing fields after the slaughter:

After this conquest was easy :) The offensive part of the Iroquois military had been entirely wiped out. The Iroquois defenders at home were expecting the triumphant return of that army, but the army they saw turned out to be a bloodthirsty invader!

Final result: Firaxis score of 29494 at Firaxis date 2510BC.

In future I'm going to watch for opportunities to ally a rival on one of my borders against another on an opposite border. Then guide all of my ally's offensive troops into a killing zone and then destroy them. Clearly this would work best with bombardment units and fast units (to quickly move up and down the lines of the funnel.) But I think it could perhaps be useful even without those elements.

I played the Halloween treat game on the 31st Oct and 1st Nov. Guided by the number of units we had in the Northern undiscovered lands I presumed there’s a huge horde of barbarians that way and we’ll first need to resist the invasion.

Instead of rushing settlers I sent workers guarded by defending cavalries and founded colonies to get those luxuries. I also rushed units in all my cities but did not short-rush. Heading North I killed a dozen of barbs or so but soon ended in a large plain just in front of a large stack of Iroquois knights. Of course I decided to finish tem as soon as possible but I was not able to trap them soon enough. My first stack attacked the units in the north while a second stack headed on the nearest Iroquois city.

While the results were not those of a Cavalry stack in full charge, the combined use of arms allowed me to waste the Iroquois counter-attack forces in four turns. I also brought Germany in and gave them a RoP to assist me in destroying the Iroquois. While I managed to get most of the Iroquois cities, German Knights (about 30 of them) were in reach of the last Iroquois city, a size 7 town on a hill with at least two musket garrison. I figured I let the Germans take that town but I also wanted the last 2000 the Iros had. So I made peace for all the cash and prepared to sneak-attack the Germans. But they decided to make peace as well and headed towards home. Just like SirPleb I prepared a direct path for them to use so that I could control them and ambush them. But I needed three turns and had about five losses.

The war to Germany begun soon after with a charge directed towards the Iron and a landing force supported by a ground assault to cut the Saltpeter right away.

I did not technically manage to defeat Germany but their power collapsed after losing their attack units. Initially I wanted to play the ‘treat game’ to the end but seeing that GOTM 25 is on a large map I gave up in order to be able to finish the GOTM.

I want to discuss the attack strategies to be used with the special units. I realized during the game that due to having a rate of fire of 2, the Ordu fighters with 4 Bombard power were better at bombarding than the other units. They were the first to approach and bombard the enemy. Then the Bagaturs approached and bombarded until they had one attack left, then waited. The Khorchin approached ant attacked the enemy head on. They suffered the heaviest casualties but also retreated a lot. Then the Bagaturs used their last attack to kill the remaining forces. The Turghaut advanced and secured the forward position while Khorchins with spare movements advanced as well.

I just want you to notice that even though Halloween has already passed, it still might be appropriate to dust off all those "Yndy the Impaler" jokes since you are in Romania and it is that time of year. ;) ;)

Originally posted by Yndy
I want to discuss the attack strategies to be used with the special units. I realized during the game that due to having a rate of fire of 2, the Ordu fighters with 4 Bombard power were better at bombarding than the other units. They were the first to approach and bombard the enemy. Then the Bagaturs approached and bombarded until they had one attack left, then waited. The Khorchin approached ant attacked the enemy head on. They suffered the heaviest casualties but also retreated a lot. Then the Bagaturs used their last attack to kill the remaining forces. The Turghaut advanced and secured the forward position while Khorchins with spare movements advanced as well.
I ended up with very near the same approach. A couple of differences:

1) A small thing: I tried whenever possible to save 2 turns per veteran Bagatur. Then if their first hand to hand attack worked, the second was a guaranteed upgrade. I ended the game with almost all Bagaturs elite.

2) A bigger one: I didn't use Khorchins for hand to hand attacks except when they were my only remaining unit which could attack. I preferred to use Bagaturs for hand to hand because of their blitz. Sometimes it wasn't useable because the first attack caused an injury of course. But a lot of the time it was useable. I ended up stopping building Khorchins after a while and still had more than I really wanted at the end. The one thing I found them immensely useful for was strong defenders with bonuses. E.g. a fortified pikeman on a mountain. For one of those guys, after the Ordus had redlined him I'd bring up a Khorchin (one or more as required) to finish him off with a lethal shot. I had just a few Iroquois on hills/mountains in my big ambush (hadn't herded a few units well enough) and Khorchin picked them off without any risk, that was neat.

Another thing I discovered quickly was that moving in to the enemy zone and capturing a city in a single turn is much harder to do with these units, vs. moving them to a hill or forest beside the city on one turn and then taking it the next. The blitz capabilities result in a huge increase in the Ordu's and Bagatur's strength when starting a turn beside a city. A much larger force (three times as many Ordu if it takes two moves to get beside the city) can capture a city in one turn. For well defended cities it seemed better to me to use less units per city and let them take two turns.

I found that when attacking cities I wanted a high ratio of Ordu : Bagatur, say 3 : 2 or even a bit higher. But when attacking units outside cities the opposite ratio worked fine. So I ended up thinking that my ideal mix would be a bit over 1 : 1 of Ordu : Bagatur.

The number of Targhaut required depends very much on position, size and number of stacks, etc. But in general I would hazard a guess that I'd want perhaps 2 Targhaut per 3 Bagatur.

For my style I don't want many Khorchin. I think about 1 Khorchin per 3 or 4 Bagatur would be good.

So I guess a good overall mix for me would be about:
1 Khorchin : 2 Targhaut : 3 Bagatur : 4 Ordu

Oh, one more thing about using these units: After losing a few of my early ones I decided not to attack anything with a defense higher than 1 unless I redlined it first. The archers are so effective at redlining enemy units that it just didn't seem worth the risk (and associated regular losses) of units to go hand to hand first. These combination stacks excel at damaging the enemy heavily without risk before needing to go hand to hand.

I see your points and yes, Khorchins were best for attacking hills, and forests. I didn’t even bother attacking redlined units on mountains. I waited until they tried to retreat and moved on a more favorable position.

I used a more balanced approach with 1 Turghaut: 2 Khorchins : 2 Bagatur : 2 Ordu but you have a point in building more Ordus. OTOH in the real game the Khorchins are the only ones to be upgraded to Cavalry and all the others would become obsolete.

Oh and cracker, I barely managed to survive the night unbitten, vampire jokes now make me shiver :vampire:

Oh and :thanx:

Originally posted by Yndy

I used a more balanced approach with 1 Turghaut: 2 Khorchins : 2 Bagatur : 2 Ordu but you have a point in building more Ordus. OTOH in the real game the Khorchins are the only ones to be upgraded to Cavalry and all the others would become obsolete.

The Khorchins upgrade to Steppe settlers. The Ordus upgrade to Cavalry.

[ptw] (trying Predator just for this treat game :))

Originally posted by SirPleb
2) A bigger one: I didn't use Khorchins for hand to hand attacks
The one thing I found them immensely useful for was strong defenders with bonuses. E.g. a fortified pikeman on a mountain.
For me the Khorchins seemed to have a much lower success rate when trying to lethal bombard redlined 3 defence units in a city. They seemed to do well against 3 defence units in the open, or even on a hill, but against units in a city they seemed to really struggle (subjectively suceeding only ~20% of the time). I ended up always using Bagatur to finish off the redlined Pikemen city defenders.

Did anyone else manage to get a leader when bombarding using the Khorchin? I guessed it would be possible when I saw my first Khorchin promotion via bombarding, and confirmed it later with my first leader coming from a Khorchin lethal bombardment.

To tell you the truth I did not notice that they have lethal bombardment. But it's a good thing to know :thanx:

Originally posted by Dianthus
...For me the Khorchins seemed to have a much lower success rate when trying to lethal bombard redlined 3 defence units in a city. They seemed to do well against 3 defence units in the open, or even on a hill, but against units in a city they seemed to really struggle (subjectively suceeding only ~20% of the time).
This observation matches with the testing results from the game development phase.

Catch the enemy units in the open with your combined arms horde units and then it is a total slaughter.

Against fortified units in towns (less than size 7) where you would typically face 4 units made or mostly of pikemen plus an offensive unit or two, the Ordu's see to be ineffective and the overall stack size required 12 to 15 units to spank the enemy into submission. There was still about a 50% chance overall of having a Bagatur or Khorchin die in hand-to-hand combat in the final death struggles.

Civ 1.29 on Mac

I spent about 10 turns getting ready for the first war. I rushed pikemen for MPs, market places in all cities on rivers, settlers to grab some needed luxes. Then I built more units. I took out the Iroquois first then the Germans. I hooked up extra luxes and traded them to the Germans to give them incentive to stay out of the first war. They wouldn't join in against the Iroquois. The first leader built Sun Tsu's and the second a FP in Salamanca.

The archery just ruled open ground. I parked turguts on hills/mountains and dominated from there. The other units can move 1, bombard and return to the high ground. This is useful in the opening stages of the war when there are tons of knights running around. After the enemy offensive units are gone we marched.

I tried a bunch of different tactics to take cities. In the end I found the cheapest way was to let the Ordu's and Bagaturs bombard the city until all the defenders are redlined. It will also kill off a lot of citizens who'd just resist anyway. Then let the Korchins loose. Their lethal bombard wipes out the defenders and we can waltz in unopposed. Given the defensive bonuses and the way bombardment works it took about 3 ordus and 3 Korchins to kill each defending unit. It is time consuming but you don't lose any units.

I lost quite a few Bagaturs and Korchins assaulting redlined musketmen in towns on hills. If you let the Korchins kill them off you take no casualties at all.

Roads in enemy territory need to be pillaged until you kill off the enemy's offensive units. The mobility roads give the enemy is a bad thing. I used turguts a lot for pillaging.

Research Theory of Gravity LAST. Once you have that there are no more Korchins, Bagaturs or Turguts to build. I figure all these special mongol units will have useful lives up until tanks. Once you have Cavalry the Ordus, Korchins and Bagaturs become mobile artillery. The Turguts can still provide mobile defense.

Adrian

1.27f
Predator

First I want to say what a great idea this game was, to help everyone get a feel for the new units. Even though it did delay the start of my GOTM, it has definitely helped me feel better prepared for it, and answered some questions I had about the units. It looks like I may be late to this thread, but I was out of town over last weekend, and wanted to play this through to the end before posting, so here I am. (I did take a night off to start the GOTM, but I haven’t even finished the QSC yet, will probably do that tonight). After reading the other posts, it looks like my strategy is similar to SirPleb’s (which is always a good thing), but not as quick or efficient. Rather than the ‘alley of death’, I let them get into the Jungle of No Return.

Since this was an extra/test game, I did some things specifically to see how it would affect the new units. Also, with only two opponents, I was far more ruthless with regards to my reputation than I would have been if there were multiple AI civs to answer to.

From the starting situation, I knew I had all the techs I needed, with the possible exception of gunpowder, and wanted to be done before we ever got to cavalry, so I set research to 0% and never did research anything. The Great Library got me Son Buddhism the first turn, then gunpowder in 3600, and Education in 3250, which made it obsolete, and was the last tech I ever got! I knew I didn’t want to fight a two-front war, and since the Germans seem inherently more aggressive, I decided I wanted to try and fight them first, with the Iroquois as my allies. I didn’t want to attack right away, however, as I wanted time to build up my hordes! With an excess of cash, and a limited number of productive towns, rushing and upgrades seemed the way to go. The first turn, I rushed 8 Bagaturs, and two settlers (to secure spices and dye). This cost about 2,000 gold. I sent my regular forces to fight the barbs in the NW, to get experience, while concentrating my veterans along the German border in case Bismark was impatient. The second turn, I cut the road S of Hovd. This had the effect of cutting Iron for most of my cities, including the barracks ones, and they all started building warriors. I could MM 4 of them to produce at least 5 shields per turn, so they would complete one every other turn, and the other cities would put a shield or two on it and then I would rush the warrior. Meanwhile the two northern cities had iron but no horses, so I had them rush archers. After a couple cycles, Gunpowder was invented, and I knew I had to strike fast, so I reconnected the road. By then I had 17 warriors which I upgraded to Turghaut Cavalry, to provide my defenses, and a couple Bowmen to upgrade to Khorchin. I also rushed some more Bagaturs from my barracks cities, and Ordus from the non-barracks.

By 3400 everyone was in position, and I declared war on the Germans. I had divided my forces into three stacks, with a small one moving to capture a worker and secure his saltpeter supply (which was not connected yet), a larger group to pillage and secure his Iron source, and the third group pillaged his horses en route to go after Berlin, since it had the Pyramids. I got the Iroquois to join in for 400g, which secured my flank. I could see that they both started with huge militaries compared to me, and both had been sending stacks of knights north of my territory to join in the Barb hunt, so I thought they could fight each other while I went after his cities. I quickly discovered that the Bagatur was able to trigger a GA and the Khorchin’s lethal bombardment will lead to a promotion! I used the GA to maximize production, and was able to get several barracks cities to 12 or 15 shields/turn, building Bagaturs, while other cities built Ordus. I also had some smaller towns building Pikemen (I didn’t connect my own saltpeter right away). In 3350 I captured Konigsburg, and got an ROP with the Iroquois (I waited a turn to make sure all my forces had moved off the roads, I hate it when the AI blocks me from using my own roads). Two turns later I got my first Great Leader, Ogodei, who I used to create an army. I was torn whether to “waste” 3 Bagatur in an army, but I knew I wanted to go for the Heroic Epic, and they would be my best attackers. At least with the three of them, my army could blitz.

3200 I captured Berlin, getting the Pyramids, but then the next few turns saw a distressing sequence. I watched as a German Elite longbowman generated a leader in the Taiga north of Leignitz, and then he moved there, and the following turn rushed Sun Tzu! OK, I thought, that is my next target. However, he had been using it to heal a lot of units, and after heavy bombardment, I killed off 5 defenders but ran out of attackers. So the Iroquois rolled in with a stack of Knights and took it! I thought about attacking anyway, but I wasn’t ready to turn on them yet, so I continued to go after German cities along the coast, letting the Iroquois get mired deep in the jungles after Hamburg and Munich. In 2950 Heidleburg flipped back to Germany, even though I had been rushing a bunch of temples (I was actually hoping Leignitz might flip to me!), but I retook it and destroyed Hamburg and captured Cologne. Munich was his only remaining city, on the tip of the continent, and I finalized my plan.

I withdrew my forces, watching as the majority of the Iroquois army slogged through jungle to get into attack position. I spent the next 5 turns preparing for my double-cross. Finally, in 2630, I was ready. I had used my ROP to position Turghauts adjacent to both of the Iroquois iron sources, and had a unit fortified on his saltpeter site since before it was even in his boundaries. I made peace with Germany, getting their remaining 2200 gold, and pillaged the Iroquois iron. My Army, with a lot of bombardment support, took Liegnitz, and with it Sun Tzu. I then used the German gold to rush Pikemen in every one of my cities, and the following turn, I connected the saltpeter and voila’, upgraded 44 musketmen (costing 2600 gold). I also completed the Heroic Epic in Karakorum that turn (by hand). When I declared war, the Iroquois had 15 knights, 9 Med Inf, 6 Longbow and a sword stuck in the German jungles or plains, and my hordes swept down with a vengance.

I had positioned most of my units in walled towns or on mountains adjacent to his, so that I could bombard and kill without leaving defensive positions. The Khorchin was great, as I could use my Bagatur against a stack until there was one unit left, and then the lethal bombard could finish off the last one without having to move into the tile. Other than the pillaging raids, I didn’t even enter Iroquois territory for 5 turns.

In 2290 I had the satisfaction of defeating an Elite Med Inf, to find an Iroquois Great Leader unescorted in the jungle behind him. (Too bad they can’t be captured!). He didn’t make it out alive. I was bogged down for a while with some of his towns on hilltops, and he had a lot of pikemen. In 2250 Jochi emerged to form another army, and with two armies and a stack of 6-10 Ordu I finally began to make some headway. The Khorchin were still useful, once everyone was redlined, to finish off the Pikemen, so my elite Bagaturs could get the spearmen behind him. I had to send another group of Hordes after he reconnected one of his Iron sources, but I had a stack of 2-3 Turghaut and then 2 Musketmen on his saltpeter, so I never saw any muskets. I finally took Salamanca, (who had just completed Sistine’s Chapel, while under attack??), and got another leader, Chagatai. I used him to rush my Forbidden Palace in Salmanca, not an ideal location but I wanted to build it, and I still had a lot of elites to fight yet that turn. The following turn, I captured Allegheny, Cattargus, Grand River, and Chondote. I could tell his back was broken, as each had only one or two pikes and then spears or longbows. However, I also got a Great Leader, Tolvi, but he was stuck deep in the jungle near the western shore. So, I made a peace deal, getting 2 cities on the north coast and 500 gold, buying me time to get my leader out and heal my armies. Again, in a normal game I don’t like to make and break peace deals, but I wasn’t too worried what Bismark thought of me by now anyway.

Anyway, after about a 4-turn break, I redeclared war, and began to methodically dismantle his cities. I got 4 the first couple turns, but then it slowed to about 1 per turn. I did get two more leaders, Kublai and Mongke, who I used for the Pentagon and an army. The larger armies, 4 bagaturs, could easily take 2-3 redlined pikemen per turn, although I still had one army go to it’s last hp! Finally finished the Iroquois, and used some “spare” hordes to finish off Bismark, achieving conquest in 1675BC. Not as fast as some of the others, but my score was still great (25323), probably because of the Pyramids and building lots of cities as I went (I was confused at one point, and kept thinking of the Domination conditions from the GOTM).

As for my tactics, I also primarily used the Ordu as my mobile catapults, with the Bagatur as my main fighting force. The Khorchin were more of a specialty troop, very good at rooting out a pikeman here and there if they were on hills or mountains (especially the Iroquois, who had several hill towns). However, I wanted to save most of the redlined units for my elite Bagaturs. Leader production was great, and these units were perfect for it. If I needed a leader, I would redline units and then send the Bagaturs in, who could become elite in one turn, or if they were elite get 2-3 victories. On the other hand, if I had a leader and couldn't get him to a city that turn, my elite Bagaturs would shift to become fire support for that turn, safely bombarding and helping more vets become elite. I also had multiple elite Turghauts, and got a leader from one, they would often be one of the only units available after I had killed off all the pikemen, and found an archer or two at the bottom of the city stack.

Again, thanks for an awesome game, and a better feel for what I am doing. Now I'm off to finish my QSC!!!

Hi,

Wow, this was a great warmup. I was always a careful culture
and research builder, who considered war only as a last resort,
but the mongolian hordes really needed different tactics. And it
worked, I managed to get the highest score I've ever had so far.

9 hr 30 min 18746 Points Temujin the MAGNIFICENT
PTW1.27 Conquest Monarch equivalent

This will definitely give me some food for thought in future games.

Of the new units, my main force was lots of Bagaturs, a few
Khorchins for heavy hits, a couple of Ordu and very few Turghauts.
I figure, if you can keep the offense up, who needs to carry units
with only defensive capabilities? Of course, this may be dangerous
in the long run. We will see.

I'va also kept a timeline which I shall now remorselessly inflict
on you. After all, a warrior needs to brag :cool:

Thank you cracker, this was very enjoyable!

Hammurodi

Timeline: Halloween Special Hammurodi PTW1.27 Conquest/Monarch
3850 BC: Almarkh set up as Worker factory, optimize tile use
in other cities.
Hurry all present army units, Take settler toward spices.
3800 BC: Move troops toward Germany, two strike forces near Koenigsberg and
Hannover, attacking via the short route (horizontal/vertical)
Promote some troops on barbs. 1st goal is german horse to cripple
production.
3750 BC: Second round of hurrying troops. Leave some defenders near Iroquese.
Some Ordu go after barbs. Build colony on diamonds. Pray that he
does not expand soon...
3700 BC: My armies are now poised, I will wait (this is the hardest thing)
until all are in place. Next turn I strike!
3650 BC: Declared War on Germany and move onto iron near Leignitz. Archers
bombard Koenigsberg, and after some success attack. Instant Golden
Age. Whoohoo!
3600 BC: Leipzig is fallen, more reinforcements hurried. Leignitz pounded,
Hannover under siege. Found Chobalyaklan near the spices. Barbarian
hut next door. Good to have one or two defenders in the vicinity.
3550 BC: The first big german counterattack. These knights are formidable
on the offence, and now very much in the open. Leipzig falls but
is quickly recaptured. The knights in the open find that there
are many chinks in their armor that allow an arrow through...
3500 BC: Hannover is finally fallen and the defenders were spearmen. My
plan of resource deprivation works very well. There are a few
iroquese units visible now, I must increase my defensive garrisons.
3450 BC: Heidelburg is fallen, the iroquese knights withdraw. They'll
be tougher, as they have two iron and one horse. For the moment
we trade happily, though. Leignitz is still the center of the
northern resistance. Horseman bombardment seems to fail for this
city more often than for the others. But there are no walls...
Persistence!
3400 BC: War goes well. There are still knights coming out of Hamburg.
Maybe he trades with the iroquese.
3350 BC: Ogodei led his Horde in such a brilliant maneuver that I had no
choice but promote him to a great leader. Excellent.
3300 BC: Ogodei is a genius. His suggestions to the Sun Tzu helped him
to complete a unique compilation of war strategies and tactics.
My armies will benefit to no end! Leignitz is now burning and mine.
Finally Berlin has fallen. These pyramids may be impressive,
but they can't give shelter from my warriors. All conquered cities
get a set of walls and a temple to ensure that they fully
appreciate their new masters, before the rigorous training regime
on horseback sets in!
3200 BC: The blitz in the Mongol heartlands of german origin continues.
Frankfurt is the new capital, which shall fall last. Muenchen,
Hamburg, Heidelberg, Cologne is the order of conquest.
3150 BC: Munich and Nuremberg have fallen.
3100 BC: The germans did attempt a pathetic last stand, but have now been
successfully integrated into the mongol empire. They also had
nicely filled koffers, more than 2000 gold was added to the war
effort. An iroquis army of 12 knights is spotted to the north.
Nicely out in the open they will be an easy target.
2850 BC: The war against the Iroquese has been declared last winter, and
my armies are nicely fortified on mountains near his territory.
One small force (10 units) goes north and across the landbridge
to harry his flank, a southern force is on a mountain south of
large diamond mines to keep this front clear, and the main force
sits on the diamond mountain, with a second and third wave within
comfortable reach. Let him come.
2710 BC: The Iroquois bloody their noses trying to walk past my fortified
archers. None of them returned to their homes tonight, and our
campfires burned on the mountainside more numerous than the stars
above!
2630 BC: After the fall of Akwesane and Tyendenaga he is restricted to his
own peninsula. My armies are now starting to push inward: A small
containing force in the north, a smaller army in the south tasked
with cutting off his iron and horses, and the main force in the
middle (via the diamond mines).
2510 BC: Jochi showed a brilliant maneuver with his band of elite Bagaturs.
They surrounded a troupe of enemy longbowmen who had bothered us
just last night and totally obliterated them. Jochi is clearly
marked as a future leader of a larger army!
2350 BC: Salamanca is burning. The city is a charred corpse of a town, the
stink of blood is heavy in the air, but the defenders are still
holding out. I let them have hope while their remaining cities are
put to the torch. The Iroquois empire is down to four cities.
2310 BC: Niagara Falls opened their gates and we swept in. There's a huge
lighthouse here, and lots of horses. What does one do with a
lighthouse? I've set up a think tank to figure it out.
But I have lost patience and give the order to storm Salamanca,
then Niagara Falls. The night is heavy with fighting, but at the
end my glorious mongolian armies prevail. The world is mine!

kryszcztov
GOTM 25 - treat game
PTW 1.27f - Predator

Well, I've just finished my treat game ! It was a good game to learn the might of the new Mongol units. I'm sorry, I'll only post my log, so it's not very entertaining.

-----

0- 3850BC : Kill some barbs.

1- 3800BC : Son Buddhism discovered ??? (EDIT : hehe, Great Library !)
Ta-tu, Hovd, Darhan, Dalandzadgad : barracks (rushed).
Karakorum, Kazan, Almarikh, Tabriz, Ulaanbaatar, Mandalgovi : bagatur hordes (rushed).
Kill some barbs over a hut in the north, pop it : an advanced tribe ! Choybalsan founded.
Edernet founded in the south.

2- 3750BC : Establish an embassy with the Iroquois (they're having a Golden Age), and the Germans. Both capitals are building a wonder.
I give ivory + WM to Hiawatha for wines + WM.
Kill some barbs.

3- 3700BC : Choybalsan : temple (rushed).
Erdenet : barracks (rushed).
All other cities : bagatur hordes (rushed).
DAMN IT ! My 1st loss : a standard bagatur horde falls to a Pictish warrior ! Kill some barbs.

4- 3650BC : Kill some barbs.

5- 3600BC : Choybalsan : barracks (rushed).
Erdenet : mangudai bowman (rushed), immediately upgraded to khorchin.
All other cities : khorchins (rushed).
I have an average military compared to the Germans (with no defense), but both the Germans and the Iroquois now have Gunpowder. Hey, wait, I have the Great Library !!

6- 3550BC : Gunpowder discovered. Germans have a source of saltpeter, but it's not hooked yet. Iroquois have one that is just outside their territory now.
Science turned off.

7- 3500BC : Choybalsan : mangudai bowman (rushed).
All other cities : ordu archers (rushed).

8- 3450BC : The Germans almost didn't touch their money. Time to go to war... I declare war on the Germans. I sign a military alliance with Hiawatha for WM + 412 gold.
Upon the 1st unit killed (by lethal bombardment from a khorchin), the Mongols enter a Golden age !
Lose 1 bagatur. Capture Leignitz, getting wool, denying iron to the Germans.

IT : Lose 2 ordus, I didn't see how their knights came...

9- 3400BC : Dalandzadgad : pikeman (rushed).
Choybalsan : spearman (rushed).
Edernet : pikeman (rushed).
Get my 1st leader : Ogodei ! He builds an army.

10- 3350BC : Leignitz : barracks (rushed).
Kazan, Tabriz : pikeman.
Lose 2 reg ordus (wanted them to promote).
Capture Konigsberg, Frankfurt.

IT : Lose a vet bagatur.

11- 3300BC : Karakorum : turghaut.
Ulaanbaatar : pikeman.
Archer upgraded to khorchin.

STOP TALKING ABOUT UNITS' PRODUCTION.

12- 3250BC : Discover Education through the Library.
Leignitz : walls (rushed).
Lose 2 bagaturs.
Capture : Leipzig (last defender was lethal-bombarded by a khorchin which didn't march into the city), getting horses, and Berlin, getting the Pyramids and wines.

IT : Lose 1 khorchin.

13- 3200BC : Konigsberg, Frankfurt : barracks (rushed).
Lose 2 bagaturs.
Capture Heidelburg.

IT : Lose 1 ordu.

14- 3150BC : Berlin : barracks (rushed).
Leignitz : temple (rushed).
Lose 3 bagaturs.
Capture Hamburg, getting wool.

15- 3100BC : Leipzeig : barracks (rushed).
Konigsberg, Frankfurt : walls (rushed).
Capture Hannover, getting saltpeter.

16- 3050BC : Ulaanbaatar : aqueduct (rushed).
Berlin : walls (rushed).
Capture Munich.

IT : Lose 1 bagatur.

17- 3000BC : Leipzig : walls (rushed).
Konigsberg, Frankfurt : temple (rushed).
Heidelburg : barracks (rushed).
Capture Nuremberg.

18- 2950BC : Berlin : temple (rushed).
Munich, Hamburg : barracks (rushed).
Lose 1 bagatur.
Capture Cologne.

19- 2900BC : Leipzig, Heidelburg : temple (rushed).
Nuremberg : barracks (rushed).

20- 2850BC : Kazan : aqueduct (rushed).
Darhan, Munich, Dalandzadgad, Erdenet : temple (rushed).
Cologne, Hannover : barracks (rushed).
Choybalsan : walls (rushed).

21- 2800BC : zzz

22- 2750BC : Ta-Tu : aqueduct (rushed).
Hamburg : walls (rushed).
I cancel the ivory for wine deal, since I have wines now.

23- 2710BC : zzz

IT : Iroquois capture Bremen.

24- 2670BC : Mandalgovi : temple (rushed).
Destroy Stuttgart, thus destroying the Germans (nice last gold pillage).
I give WM + 61 gold to Hiawatha for WM.
I declare war on the Iroquois.
Capture Tonawanda, getting gems.

25- 2630BC : Hovd : aqueduct (rushed).
Nuremberg, Hamburg : temple (rushed).
Dalandzadgad : walls (rushed).
Get my 2nd leader : Jochi !

Here you can see my trap : the main Iroquois forces were sent after the Germans and their last city (Bremen). Now that a lot of them are stucked in the jungle, I lock them with ordus and khorchins on mountains, ready to fire arrows on every knight...

IT : The Iroquois worker who was roading the saltpeter source has left his job unfinished !

26- 2590BC : Tonawanda : barracks (rushed).
Lose 2 bagaturs.
Capture Oil Springs.

27- 2550BC : Konigsberg : aqueduct (rushed).
Cologne, Hannover : temple (rushed).
Leader rushes the FP.
Capture Tyendenaga.
Get my 3rd leader : Chagatai !
Leader rushes Leonardo.
Destroy Oka.
The Iroquois knights army has almost been crushed, near Bremen.

IT : Lose 1 ordu.

28- 2510BC : Leipzig : Forbidden Palace (rushed).
Nuremberg : Leonardo's Workshop (rushed).
Tonawanda : temple (rushed).
Lose 1 ordu.
Get my 4th leader : Tolui !
End of Golden Age.

29- 2470BC : Oil Springs, Tyendenaga : barracks (rushed).
Lose 1 bagatur.
Capture Akwesasne, getting furs.

30- 2430BC : Tonawanda : walls (rushed).

31- 2390BC : Akwesasne : temple (rushed).
Lose 1 ordu, 3 bagaturs.
Capture Bremen.
Leader rushes Hanging Gardens.
Capture Allegheny and Cattaraugus.

32- 2350BC : Almarikh : Hanging Gardens (rushed).
Capture Grand River.

33- 2310BC : Allegheny : barracks (rushed).
Oil Springs, Tyendenaga, Bremen : temple (rushed).
Akwesasne : walls (rushed).
Lose 1 bagatur.
Capture Centralia and Chondote (getting spices).
The army is eventually loaded with the 3 elite bagaturs who got me leaders.

IT : Lose 1 turghaut. Lose 1 worker to the barbs.

34- 2270BC : Grand River, Cattagaurus : barracks (rushed).
Lose 1 bagatur.
Capture Ganogeh and Kahnawake.

35- 2230BC : Oil Springs, Tyendenaga : walls (rushed).
1st army victory ; the army doesn't have the bombardment ability ?
Lose 1 bagatur.
Capture Salamanca, the capital.

36- 2190BC : Kahnawake, Ganogeh : temple (rushed).
Capture Gandasetaigon and Mauch Chunk.
Get my 5th leader : Kublai !
Leader rushes Sun Tzu.

37- 2150BC : Cattagaurus : Sun Tzu's Art of War (rushed).
Destroy a barb camp.
Capture St. Regis.

38- 2110BC : Gandasetaigon : temple (rushed).
Lose 5 bagaturs and 1 khorchin.
Capture Caughnawaga, getting incense, and Niagara Falls.
Fail to capture the last Iroquois city (Gayagaahe), maybe because of bad units management...

39- 2070BC : Domination victory !
If I had been wise, I think I could have achieved a Conquest Victory on the same turn. I checked afterwards, and there was no settler on a boat.

-----

Domination victory
end date : 2070BC
score : 27368
time : 15h48m54s

-----

A very entertainging game ! :goodjob: Now to move up to GOTM 25... after reading your games too.
I have a question : I don't really know how the bombardment feature works in Civ3. :rolleyes: All I know is that catapults and cannons suck for city seiges, and therefore are usefull in AW games only, and that it's better to wait for arties... But I don't know the maths for all of that. Even though I've already made most of my thoughts on these units, I'd like someone to explain or provide a link. Thanks a lot.

Top Bottom