*Spoiler1* Gotm19-Ottomans - Green-Brown-Red

Here is my Ancient Era timeline for anyone who want to read it.

I too bought a Celtic worker from Brennus which slowed his initial growth. In my game, their second worker was not for sale.

Then around 2850BC I managed to trap the first Celtic settler between a newly founded Iznik and a warrior. My warrior and the Celt settler/warrior kept repeating the same moves for about 10 turns. I was intending to to keep this up until war started then kill the warrior to get two more slaves but after I moved a worker into the area to improve around Iznik, the AI changed its moves. Anyway I delayed the founding of Mohaks until 2150BC!

I'm not building wonders concentrating on denying territory and resources to the Celts and Carthage. My southern border is only just north of Entremont and by founding Bursa south of Entremont, I prevented the Celts from getting iron hooked up.

Carthage has Pyramids, Great Library and is building more wonders, they only have one horse and one iron which I intend to exploit when I have built the military built up.

With all these luxuries around, my culture expansion is coming from cheap Libraries, I'm not building the religious improvements as I intend to avoid a heavy upkeep bill. The plan is to rely on MPs and luxuries to keep order then later I'll be after Marketplaces to multiply the luxuries whilst generating cash. A low upkeep will allow me to stay in despotism for longer using my military build up firstly as MPs and secondly to grap 25g from barbarian camps. This lean and mean economy should allow me to keep up in science and allow a once only revolution directly into Democracy.

4000BC Worker moves S and finds game that will be available to the city radius once the first expansion occurs. The Hut Warrior climbs E mountain and spies silks to the NE and a coast. We cannot move the setter to grab game and silks in the radius so found Sogut at the starting location. Blast! There is wheat to the west, just out of reach. Still our industrious worker can soon irrigate the game forest. Research Pottery at 100%.

3950-3800 Start a road. Warrior spots 3 fogs due E. We decide irrigate the bonus grassland?! so as to quickly get water to the game. Discover another river S.

3750-3600 New warrior heads to the N mountain and spies cattle will then turn W. Worker moves to game, spies dye to S and starts clearing forest. The 10 shields will go towards a granary. Our warriors see insence and coast to the W and dyes SE - we will be rich in luxuries, hopefully to trade with other civs!

3550 We see a two barbarian galleys off the east coast and encounter a Celtic warrior in the SE.

Polite Brennus sells us one of his two workers and 10g for Bronze Working and Masonry. The slave will save us from losing a citizen to get a second worker and in the long run will be better than getting Warrior Code or Mysticism now since we don't yet need temple or archer.

3500 New warrior heads N and set production to settler. The other warriors continue S along West and East coasts. Find a small lake near the dye jungle. The slave starts to mine the bonus grassland, it will complete in 6 turns after our own worker has irrigated the game. Sogut grows to size 2 - on Emperor level this means unrest so luxuries increased to 10%, science reduced to 40%.

3450 Pottery. 10 shields returned to Sogut, worker starts road. N warrior returns to Sogut to be our military police. Now researching Iron Working in 30t with 90% science. Buy Ceremonial Burial from Brennus for Pottery and his 10g. Start to think the jungle should become border between us and Brennus as this will negate the extra speed of their Gallics.

3400- 3200 Find two small lakes and gems in the SW jungle. Find the border of Entremont one tile S of the river S of the dyes. Complete irrigation of game - now have +4 food. Find barbarian horseman in the SW. Slave completes mine and starts trade network towards dyes and Celtic border. Worker starts on second bonus grassland to SW.

3150-2900 Sogut builds settler who heads for the dyes closest to Entremont. Science back to 100%. Sogut MPs head N. Find incense on SW peninsula and see squids nearby. We find two more silks directly N of Sogut. At 3000 Brennus still only has one city. Worker begins to help trade network.

2850-2710 Iznik founded. Blocks Brennus settler/warrior moving north. Brennus has the Wheel and Warrior Code. Workers build road to Iznik's dyes and start clearing forest and jungle. Brennus settler/warrior keeps repeating their moves at the straight near Iznik. Luxury rate increased to 10% to prevent unrest in Sogut.

2670 A barb horseman attacks our warrior in the SW and is defeated.

2630 We complete the road between Iznik and Sogut which produces a settler. Science back to 100%.

2590-2550 We meet a Carthaginian worker in the SW. Buy Alphabet from Cautious Hannibal for 6g/t 18g Pottery and Ceremonial Burial. The Carthaginians have two cities. Sell Aphabet to Brennus for Warrior Code and 10g. Science now at 30%. Sogut production set to archer.

2510 Uskudar founded. Sogut citizen micromanaged to mined grassland shield so Uskudar citizen can work the irrigated game. The slave starts to mine grassland shield next to Uskudar. Science increased to 50% for Iron Working in 9 turns. Hannibal now has the Wheel. Brennus sends his settler west.

2390 Find encampment and a Pictish warrior west of Iznik. Our warrior discovers Utica.

2310 We disperse the Kassite encampment and set science to 70% for Iron Working in 2 turns. The Celtic settler turns away south..

2270 Build first Archer. The Kassites attack Warrior of the Hut on a mountian and he is promoted to regular.

2230 Iron Working. Select Writing as next advance and 60% science.

2190 Disperse a barbarian encampment in the far south. Increase science to 80% (shrinking at -3g/t) for Writing in 16turns.

2150 Brennus finally founds Mokaks.

1725 Izmit founded. Science increased to 100%

1625 Writing. Aydin founded to prevent Brennus from using Iron south of Entremont. Select Literature as next advance. Buy The wheel from Hannibal for 3g/t and 27g.

1525 Micromanagement in Sogut to reduce food surplus so granary and growth complete together,

1475 Sogut completes granary, border expands to cover silks.

1425 Hannibal demands 7g and we comply.

1350 Warrior reaches far SE of our island and spots a new continent sellted by a red bordered civ within galley distance.

1300 Antalya founded. We have laid claim to the north of our continent. Now need to settle the coasts in case Brennus and Hannibal build galleys.

1275 Brennus completes road to horses S of Entremont, We found Bursa and steal horses.

1225 A Barbarian horseman appears in the forest N of Sogut. Our archer MP sacrifices itself and warrior guarding worker finished the job. Increase luxury rate to 10% to until can reestablish MPs.

1200 We complete a road linking iron to the Sogut.

1175 Literature. Sell to Hannibal for Mysticism, world map and 105 gold. All cities producing 2 beakers or in need of border expansion have production changed to Library. Buy Map Making from Brennus for Literature, 90g and 2g/t. Silks roaded up luxuries back to 0%. Hannibal has one horse and one iron. Brennus none. Science set to 70% and researching horseback riding.

1125 Science now 80%.

1100 Celts declare war on us and burn Bursa to the ground.

1025 Discover Horseback Riding. Select Philosphy in 6 turns at 80%

1000 Annoyed Red Leader meets us. They have 11 cities, code of laws, 3 ivory, 0 incense, 1 horses, 0 gold.

950 Swordsman kills the vet warrior that sacked Bursa.

900 Philosophy. Select maths at 100% in 5 turns .

850 Two reg swordsman and an archer attack two reg spearmen
and destroy a celtic city and capture a worker but one swordsman dies.

825 Uskudar builds barracks. Luxuries 20%. Our archer kills a celtic archer that approaches Aydin too closely.

775 Mathematics. Buy Code of Laws from Redfor Maths and 75g. Our archer is promoted to vet after kiling a celtic warrior. Celts offer peace, we say no.

730-690 Edirne founded. We are the most advanced in the world with Red. Our 3/3 3/3 4/4 4/4 swordsmen supported by 3/3 4/4 archer and 3/3 spearman and 3/3 warrior advance on Entremont.

670 We capture Entremont and a worker for the loss of three swordsmen. Brennus captures Izmit.

590-530 We recapture Izmit and make peace with Brennus.

490-410 Currency. Select Polytheism. Sell currency to Brennus for 155 gold. Sell currency to Red for 76 gold and world map. Establish Embassies with known 3 civs. Red now has Barracks, Temple and Library.

330-230 Polytheism. Sell Poyltheism to Hannibal for 150g.

170BC Enter middle ages get a free tech. Massive Barbarian uprising near Kona.

The summary below is for 50BC, the closest save file to the spoiler limit.

Summary

* 9 towns
* 1 settler
* 5 workers
* 3 warriors
* 4 archers
* 10 spearmen
* 6 swordsmen
* 1 catapult
* 3 Celtic slaves (one bought)
All Ancient techs except Republic and Monarchy.

Score 459 (Reds 841), Happy 54.1, Content 21.9, Territory 382.9

:soldier:

Originally posted by Renata
Third anything gets the penalty. ....
Thanks. I knew it was something like that, but it didn't occur to me to irrigate the game - doh!
:(
Originally posted by SirPleb
I've uploaded a detailed QSC timeline for my GOTM19 in case anyone wants it ...
Wow - almost 8,000 words! Thanks for the effort. It would be great if there was an in-game scripter that could save all the steps and annotations so people could just watch the game unfold.

Logging can be painful, especially when you don't stop. I blew past the 1000bc cutoff and kept logging moves to 10ad. Don't think anyone really wants to 10,000 steps to a mediocre new age.
:wallbash:
Originally posted by Perugia
...I managed to trap the first Celtic settler between a newly founded Iznik and a warrior. My warrior and the Celt settler/warrior kept repeating the same moves for about 10 turns. ...
Yeah, I did this dance, too. I think they trap the loop after 10 turns or so. In my case they did an end run after several turns. The really stupid thing was Brennus declares war w/o any troops to back it up just so his warrior+settler could stay in enemy territory. He lost a lux town for his hubris.
:crazyeye:

Here is my QSC report:

4000BC: worker moves south, warrior moves east, settler moves SE
3950BC: Sogut founded
3750BC: warrior (Sogut)
3450BC: contact with Keltoi
3350BC: Pottery
Trade: Pottery + Bronze Working for Ceremonial Burial + 3 gold (Keltoi)
War declared against Keltoi (2 workers captured)
3050BC: granary (Sogut)
3000BC: Peace Treaty + 6 gold for Warrior Code (Keltoi)
2950BC: Keltoi is cautious now :crazyeye:
2900BC: warrior (Sogut)
2800BC: contact with neoCarthage
2670BC: Mysticism
Trade:
Mysticism + Pottery + 6 gold for Alphabet (neoCarthage)
2630BC: settler (Sogut)
2590BC: Iznik founded, silks connected
War declared against neoCarthage (2 workers captured)
2510BC: Pictish warrior ambushed the workers that I just captured. grrrr
2390BC: settler (Sogut)
2350BC: Uskudar founded
Keltoi was annoyed with me and now is polite. I guess Brennus declared war against Hannabaline. \o/
2190BC: settler (Sogut)
2150BC: warrior (Uskudar), Izmit founded and I am 2nd in territory now \o/
2110BC: warrior (Sogut)
Signed peace treaty with neoCarthage for 15 gold
2030BC: neoCarthage already have Writing, and Keltoi have Iron Working and next turn I will get Mathematics. :)
1990BC: Mathematics
Trade: Mathematics + 32 gold for Writing (neoCarthage)
WOW. Keltoi captured Carthage!!!
Alphabet for 14 gold (Keltoi)
Writing + Mathematics + 10 gold (Ouch!) for Iron Working (Keltoi)
Iron Working for 57 gold (neoCarthage)
1910BC: warrior (Uskudar), warrior (Izmit)
1870BC: Aydin founded
1725BC: settler (Sogut)
1700BC: Philosophy, warrior (Aydin), Antalya founded
1625BC:
Trade:
Philosophy for worker + 25 gold (neoCarthage)
1575BC: settler (Sogut), settler (Izmit)
1550BC: Bursa founded
1525BC: settler (Uskudar), Edirne founded
Trade:
27 gold for worker (neoCarthage) ??. Well, I accepted
1500BC: Istanbul founded, neoCarthage captured back Carthage
1475BC: dyes connected
1450BC: Code of Laws, worker (Antalya)
1425BC: settler Sogut
1375BC: settler (Aydin), Konya founded
1325BC: Adana founded
1300BC: spices connected, worker (Bursa)
1275BC: worker (Edirne)
1250BC: Literature, settler (Izmit), worker (Istanbul)
Trade:
Literature + Code of Laws for Map Making + WM + some gold (I forget to take note) (neoCarthage)
1225BC: galley (Uskudar)
1200BC: warrior (Adana), worker (Antalya), Sinop founded, contact with ##### \o/
Trade:
Mathematics + Writing for WM + 24 gold + contact with ##### (#####)
Mathematics for 14 gold + contact with ##### (#####)
Writing + Mathematics + 3 gold for WM + The Wheel + contact with ##### (#####)
Mathematics for WM + 12 gold (#####)
Philosophy for Horseback Riding + 97 gold + WM (#####)
The Wheel for WM + 38 gold (neoCarthage)
The Wheel for WM + 25 gold (Keltoi)
Code of Laws for WM + 165 gold (#####)
Code of Laws for 91 gold (#####)
Philosophy for 10 gold (#####)
I'm still missing contact with Rome, but I can see a red border east of the carthaginians. Let me see if I can get contact sending my galley to the south.
1175BC: Kafa founded, gems connected
1125BC: settler (Sogut), worker (Konya)
1100BC: established embassies (##### - 41 gold and ##### - 43 gold)
Declared war against ##### and #####
Trade:
Alliance vs. the ##### + WM for 25 gold + WM (#####)
Alliance vs. the ##### + Alliance vs. the ##### + WM + Literature + Map Making + Code of Laws for Polytheism + WM (#####)
1075BC: warrior (Antalya). Contact with Roman city of Lugdunum
I lost a lot of warriors to the barbarians, but my galley with 1hp survived again in treacherous water :D
Trade:
Polytheism for WM + 177 gold (Rome)
Established embassies (Rome - 47 gold and Keltoi - 29 Gold)
Declared war against neoCarthage
Signed military alliance with Keltoi against neoCarthage
Gift contact with the carthaginians to Rome (Rome is gracious now!!)
Trade:
Mathematics + Philosophy + WM + 7 gold (Ouch!) for alliance against neoCarthage (Rome)
1050BC: Oh no, a barbarian galley killed my galley. :(
Davidople founded!. Humm, there is a Roman city with a harbor now! Well, I can build one too, in 30 turns...
It seems that the Romans started the game with addicional settlers.
1025BC: settler (Aydin), worker (Edirne), warrior (Adana)
1000BC: worker (Istanbul), Alexmanika founded!
Trade:
WM for WM + 25 gold (#####)
Literature for WM + 35 gold (Rome)
=================================
Summary:
15 cities
132 tiles (8,8 tiles p/ city)
317 points
28 citizens
1 granary
7 warriors
9 workers
4 slaves
7 contacts
4 embassies
776 gold
All the ancient techs but Construction, Republic and Monarchy
Currency in 1 turn

@Creepster: Although I appreciate your detailed timeline the reference to "El-Armans, Byblos" kind of gives away the identity of the ####'s doesn't it? (not that it really matters, but still...)

Quite impressed by the city counts (esp. the 17 and 25) compared to my meagre 9 but I will replay the timelines and beat all of you next GOTM :-D

Happy hunting everyone and see you next spoiler (although most of you have probably finished by now - that's what you get from only learning about GOTM's by 15/5 :)...)

Wouter

Although I appreciate your detailed timeline the reference to "El-Armans, Byblos" kind of gives away the identity of the ####'s doesn't it? (not that it really matters, but still...)

Oops!! :eek: Sloppy editing on my part. Sorry about that.

I don't know why guys are worrying so much about knowing the name of all the civs in your game. After about 40 turns (or less) into the game, a certain historian will pop up to give you the complete list of the most "Advance" or whatvever civs out there, including those that were light years away too.

Er - just look at the space race to see who hasnt built any spaceship parts and you can have a list of the civs at turn 1.

the reason I was not trying to mention the civs is because of the spoiler rules. I agree that you get the list of names at 3000BC. You also get a nice clue with the top 5 cities.

So no I am not worrying, I am just trying to keep the talk relavent to the spoiler rules posted for this thread. Those civs are outside of the spoiler setup so I was trying not to mention them.

Originally posted by Alamo
Thanks.....

Originally posted by Renata
Third anything gets the penalty. So a tile that would normally produce three commerce gets cut to two, and a tile that would normally produce five food gets cut to four. But a tile that would normally produce two shields still gets its two shields.

Renata
That's right. The key point is to know which tiles your workers should not waste their efforts on with worthless actions while you are still in Despotism. You need to understand which worker actions do not improve citizen work and avoid these. Quite simply the actions to avoid are those which result in exactly 3 Food or 3 Shields under other governments. These can be listed on a tile type basis as follows:

Grassland, Grassland shield, Grassland horse, Plains wine and Plains game produce 2 food without irrigation, under Despotism you should mine these tiles rather than irrigate them because the +1 from irrigation will be wasted. Sometimes you might temporarily irrigate these tiles to provide access to fresh water for some other tile.

Plains cattle and Plains fur produce 2 shields without mining, under Despotism you should irrigate these tiles rather than mine them because the +1 from mining will be wasted.

All other tiles will benefit from your choice of mining or irrigation.

Note. As you are most unlikely to be in Despotism once you get Steam Power, I have only included the Ancient and Mediaeval resources in this analysis. I have assumed no railroads as the optimum choice of irrigation or mine changes once you obtain +1 on irrigation and mines. For instance with railroads/despotism you should irrigate the deserts for 2 food and 1 shield instead of mining them for 0 food and 2 shields. I have also assumed you can obtain either a grassland or plains on clearing a forest containing bonus, luxury or strategic resources and that those resources remain in place.

The same Despotic problem applies to building a road that results in exactly 3 Commerce under other governments. This occurs in Spice, Ivory, Dye river, Fur river, Horse river, Incense river, Saltpeter river and Wine river tiles which all produce 2 commerce without a road.

Building roads to these tiles will not increase the 2 commerce they provide to any city. But may place your worker in position to mine or irrigate the same tile to benefit the city and may form part of your trade network. Assuming you have a choice of which luxury and resource tiles to build roads to and all your cities are connected, you need to optimise the order your workers will connect up the remaining trade network so that worker and citizen productivity will be maximum. The following priority is a guide.

1) Tile is inside city radius and is a luxury or strategic resource but is not Spice, Ivory, Dye river, Fur river, Horse river, Incense river, Saltpeter river or Wine river.
2) Tile is inside city radius and is Spice, Ivory, Dye river, Fur river, Horse river, Incense river, Saltpeter river or Wine river
3) Tile is outside city radius but is within borders.
4) Tile is outside borders. This will require a colony.

For example, you discover the wheel and find a horse, horse river in your city radii and another horse within borders. The priority is to connect the horse inside your city radius as this allows you to build chariots and provides +1 commerce. Connecting both the other horses can wait until you can trade with other civs. You will want to move a worker to the horse river and mine or irrigate there and when that is complete build the road.

Very nice post Perugia. One small correction though, game will give +2 food. Therefore plains game gives 3 food and irrigating will help you even in despotism. I think I read somewhere that in an old version of civ3 game only gave +1 food but they changed it to +2. So that may be where you were getting that from.

Well, this is the first time I'm going to compete in the GotM. I also normally play on Warlord, so Emperor is a bit more challenging than I'm used to. I'm not planning on going back though--it's too much fun. ;) I've been playing Emperor games since GotM-19 was announced using all the known game conditions to try and prepare myself, and I really want my second content person back. :help: Feel free to take a look at my timeline, and if you see anything I did wrong please mention it (gently). I'm specifically wondering about my starting location, my first trade, initial build order and my choice of wonder to build.

4000 BC
- Worker S to BG
- Warrior West following river. I want that game quickly so:
- Settler SE
3950 BC
- Found Sogut, start producing warrior
- Warrior heads S to explore. Sees coast to West.
- Worker mines bonus grassland
- Start research on Pottery at 100%, ETA 17 turns
3800 BC
- Mine finished, start road. Switch citizen to working bonus grassland for more money. Research goes from 14 to 11 turns.
3750 BC
- Warrior finished, start warrior
- Warrior heads N to mountain, spots silk! Also sees some coastline to East.
- Southern Warrior contacts Celts, trade BW, Masonry and 8 gold for 2 slave workers. Also spots Dyes and Gems!
- Slave workers head south to game for clearing duty.
- Decided that my first cities will be to the South unless the North is also contested.
- My favorite turn of the game so far ;)
3700 BC
- Road completed, worker heads to game. Slaves start clearing.
3650 BC
- Worker starts road in game, as clearing forest would waste the shields too quickly.
- Southern warrior continues S along hills/mountains. Hoping to find Celt capital.
- Northern Warrior goes West to last mountain, spots cattle.
3600 BC
- Northern warrior heads E to hill for view.
- Southern warrior spots barbarian horseman and Celtic border. I feel fear.
3550 BC
- Sogut warrior finished. Start settler and fortify warrior in capital for MP duty and to defend from VERY EARLY barbarian horsemen.
- Northern warrior spots spices and more coastline to the W. Heads N along hills.
3500 BC
- Get view of Celtic capital so I can tell when they put out settlers. S warrior heads NE (using auto-move to save two turns)
- Worker completes road on game, clears forest. Slaves start irrigating
3450 BC
- Sogut hits size 2 and expands borders.
- Worker joins in irrigating game, completes it.
- Slave workers start road to East along river for new city.
- Northern warrior spots another cattle and silk. Continues NW
3400 BC
- Worker starts road S for other new city (trying to get the settlers to the new locations quickly)
3350 BC
- Northern warrior spots coast to N and W, so we're at the top of an island.
- Pottery finished, start Alphabet at 100%, 21 turn ETA
3300 BC
- N warrior heads back towards capital to garrison in new city when built.
3250 BC
- Worker goes to build road in forest N or dyes to the S, planning to build city directly on dyes.
3200 BC
- Sogut settler finished, start settler. Send settler S to dyes.
3150 BC
- Slave worker joins Sogut to speed growth and production of new settler. Other slave continues road E
3100 BC
- Iznik founded S of capital on Dyes. Start warrior production with citizen working forest for faster warrior.
- Road between Sogut and Iznik completed. Worker will start clearing forest next turn.
3050 BC
- Sogut warrior heads E to protect slave worker and harass and Celts moving that way.
- N warrior heads to capital to take the other warrior's place.
3000 BC
- Slave worker stars irrigating plains in preparation of new city.
2900 BC
- Warrior to SE spots Celtic Warrior and Settler moving towards somewhere I want, plans to use terrain and block.
2850 BC
- Iznik warrior completed, start warrior. New warrior heads to Sogut to MP duty.
- Celtic W/S combo proves stupid. Moves toward choke point. My warrior blocks.
2800 BC
- Celts build city at choke point. Nothing but 3 jungle and water in city radius. City is officially declared useless.
- Iznik warrior completed (got shields from clearing forest). Garrisons. Worker starts Mine N of Iznik.
- Iznik starts settler.
2750 BC
- Sogut Settler completed, start settler.
- New settler heads E along road to prepared location.
- Slave worker joins Sogut.
2670 BC
- Worker starts mine N/NE or Iznik
- Uskudar founded 5 tiles SE of Sogut. Warrior started.
2630 BC
- Alphabet completed. Math started, 16 turn ETA
2550 BC
- Mine N of Iznik completed, worker heads to BG SW/SW of Sogut to mine and road.
2470 BC
- Uskudar warrior completed, start settler. Warrior heads N to scout.
2430 BC
- Sogut settler completed, start granary. Settler and 1 warrior head N to cattle and coast.
2310 BC
- Sogut worker completes mine and road, heads NE to next bonus grassland to do the same.
- Discover that coast near cattle up N is actually a lake. Fresh water! Move settler/warrior between the two.
2270 BC
- Settle Izmit between small northern lake and cattle. Start warrior.
2110 BC
- Math completed, start Currency
- Iznik settler completed, start warrior. Settler and one warrior head W to gems.
2070 BC
- Izmit warrior completed, start worker. Warrior heads W to scout.
1990 BC
- Contact Carthage! They're much nicer than the Celts. Trade Math and Pottery for IW, Wheel, CM, and 18 gold.
- Trade Math and Pottery to Celts for Mysticism and 64 gold.
1950 BC
- Sogut granary completed, start Pyramids. Carthage starts them same turn. Liking them less now...
- Send Iznik warrior N to Sogut for MP duty
- Found Aydin SW of Iznik on Gems, start worker
1910 BC
- Izmit worker completed and sent to irrigate cattle. Settler started.
- Iznik warrior completed, start warrior.
1870 BC
- Uskudar settler completed, sent N. Start warrior.
1830 BC
- Barbarian camp NE of Izmit dispersed, warrior now veteran. Note: Spellchecker doesn't like Ottoman city names.
1725 BC
- Antalya founded N of Uskudar, start warrior.
1700 BC
- Uskudar warrior completed, start settler.
1625 BC
- Aydin worker completed, warrior started. Worker begins road to Iznik
1600 BC
- Antalya warrior completed, start settler.
1450 BC
- Currency completed (finally!). Start researching Literature.
- Trade Currency to Carthage for writing and 50 gold.
1425 BC
- Bursa founded near NW corner of island on hill. Warrior started.
1400 BC
- Iznik Settler completed, starting spearman. Settler goes NW
1375 BC
- Aydin Warrior completed, started worker.
1300 BC
- Uskudar Settler completed and sent to join Sogut. Temple started as prebuild for library.
1275 BC
- Izmit Settler completed, start settler.
- Form embassy in Carthage. I'll beat them to the pyramids by at least 3 turns. :)
- Send settler bound for Sogut on to settle elsewhere-it wouldn't speed up the pyramids much at all.
1250 BC
- Edirne founded N of Aydin.
1225 BC
- Antalya settler completed, warrior started.
1200 BC
- Aydin worker completed, temple prebuild for Library started.
1175 BC
- Bursa Warrior completed, worker started.
1150 BC
- Literature finished, starting Philosophy.
- Istanbul founded 5 tiles NW of Sogut, warrior started.
- Konya founded N of Antalya, worker started.
- Trade Currency to Celts for Map Making and 18 gold.
- Trade Literature to Carthage for Territory map, Horseback Riding and 19 gold.
- Celts have only 5 cities, none connected. I mock them mercilessly.
1125 BC
- Build Adana SW of Bursa. Worker started.
- Switch Uskadar to build galley.
1100 BC
- Antalya warrior completed, start worker.
1075 BC
- Oracle completed by civ I can't name in this thread.
1050 BC
- Pyramids completed in Sogut! Begin Marketplace. Wake girlfriend to tell her the good news. Sleeping on couch tonight. :wallbash:
- Gallery completed in Uskudar. Begin Library.
- Galley sinks barbarian galley, spots other coastline. Beats squid when attacked later in round :)
1000 BC
- Galley spots red border, but is blocked by fog. Too wounded to try it, so it'll head SW along other island and hope.
Totals:
- 11 cities, total pop of 24
- 1 granary built plus 10 from Pyramids
- Pyramids
- Contact with Carthage and Celts, and can see a red border with my Galley.
- 4 techs away from M.A., and only 1 turn away form Philosophy.

Comparison stats:
Approval Rating: 68% 2nd
Population 820000 1st
GNP 42 million 2nd
Mfg Goods 32 Megatons 1st
Land Mass 13,600 miles 3rd
Literacy 3% 2nd
Disease 6% 5th
Pollution 0 1st
Life Expectancy 46 years 1st
Family Size 1 child 3rd
Military Service 7 years 7th
Annual Income 3/capita 2nd
Productivity 92 1st

All in all I'm quite pleased with where I ended up. I would have liked to have had one more turn to complete the two settlers, Philosophy and to contact that red Civ (Rome, as it turns out), but oh well. I'm not planning on submitting the QSC thing, I'm just trying to see how well I do compared with other people.

950 BC
- Spot Roman Galley, make contact. Trade WM and contacts with C+C and Phil, for WM Code of Laws and 146 gold.
- Galley heads back N
925 BC
- Carthage completes Great Library. Must remember to trade with them first.
- With nothing to lose, galley tries to get past fog N of Roman island. Actually wins!
900 BC
- Found Sinop on Iron close to Celtic capital just to keep them off it. Start Library so it doesn't get flipped.
850 BC
- Kafa founded, start worker.
825 BC
- Snipped due to thread limitations.

The Celts and the Carthaginians were kind enough to keep clearing my lands of barbarians, and I got most of that gold back later in trades, so I'm happy about the way it worked out. I can see every tile in my portion of the island, so I don't have to worry about barbarian swarms when I hit the MA. Once I get libraries built I'll expand and increase my land mass rating, though I doubt I'll be able to match Rome without taking out the Celts. Roman culture is pretty huge, and from what I've seen from the coast they have a lot of legionaries. I just might have to consider keeping them my friends--at least until I get Sipahi. :) Carthage is actually keeping up with techs, and I might have to watch that later on.

I do have a question. I've never seen a barbarian horseman anywhere near as early as 3600 BC before. Have I been lucky or was that set up for this game deliberately? It does explain why the Celts had two workers in their capital earlier, and if there were a lot of barbarians in Celtic land early on it would explain why they are so amazingly weak.

I did much better in this game than in the practice runs I did using the known starting conditions. One reason is that we had much more room to expand in this game than the computer was giving me in other games. A large part of this is probably the early barbarian problems that the Celts had.

Any thoughts? From the messages I've read I'm not doing too badly, though some people are so far ahead of me I'm wondering if they have Accelerated Production turned on. ;) Either that or I suck, and I like the first explanation better. Would the Great Library have been a better choice? I get it when I'm not playing a scientific civ usually, but the duration is so short that I'm not sure it would help me very much.:( :(

@ Stone Wolf
Frankly you were doing far better than I expected when I start making comments on your post. Are you sure you’re a warlord player? Did you win those mock emperor games that you played?

I have only minor thoughts as seen below
“3000 BC
- Slave worker stars irrigating plains in preparation of new city.” (I guess you could have done better – more roads to better locations – improve existing cities)

”2430 BC
- Sogut settler completed, start granary. Settler and 1 warrior head N to cattle and coast.” (finally … You delayed those valuable city sites for sooo long)

Great timing on the Pyramids but remember to join workers and not settlers (you waste 10 shields for every settler). I think you were a little late to contact Carthage but that could have been unlucky. Some warmongers could have been ahead of you but you got a very good game. I suggest you submit your QSC, as you’ll get a far above average score (unless you did any despicable things that disqualify you).

Accelerated production can not be set on, we started the same game, remember?

Welcome to our community

I played about 2 dozen games on Emporer before trying th GotM, though only 5 of them were completed. That's when I learned not to sign Mutual Protection Pacts just before building the UN--idiots all declared war on one another and dragged me right in. Most of my earlier attempts were abandoned in the early MA when it was clear that I messed up along the way. Most of the rest I ended in the Industrial Age simply because I'm mainly worried about the earlier time periods. I basically just read all kinds of strategy articles and such and went with what I read. Like I said, I never did this well because I never had this much room to expand (though the flood plain start was a good one ;) ).

3000 BC
- I irrigated mainly because I wanted that worker to be able to join the capital as soon as the capital put out the settler it was working on. I probably could have worked a tile near the capital instead, though, as the capital spent quite a few turns at size three with only two worked tiles. That was a blooper.

2430 BC
- Yeah, that was bugging me. I tried to grab land close to the Celts and force him to expand South. The city East is a good one, but the one to the South is still kinda useless. Now that I know how weak the Celts are, I'd just let them build around there and just take it from them later.

The settler that was going to join but didn't was a result of indecision on my part. It was planned to go out and found a new city, but I was worried about Carthage beating me to the Pyramids. By the time I decided to have him join it was too late to change it to a worker without wasting shields. I built an embassy with Carthage after the settler was completed and saw that I was going to win, so I sent the settler out as I intended earlier.

I also noticed that I placed one city on a different tile than I intended. I was using the city placement scheme from BamSpeedy's article, but somehow a city ended up one tile off. I remember a Celtic warrior around there when my settler was moving, and I must have moved the settler/warrior combo to the wrong tile. It hasn't messed things up though.

I don't think I've done anything that wouldn't disqualify me from th QSC. It's the same rules as GotM right? No reloading, no readin spoiler threads before you qualify, no using exploits or editors. The only thing I exploited is that I used the Celtic and Carthaginian warriors exploring around my cities to clear out barbarians, and I think that's okay. :) I think I only had a half dozen fights against barbs or so. I missed out on the gold, but attacking camps when I didn't have to didn't make sense. With only a 25% attack bonus my warriors were attacking with a 1.25 attack against camps with a minimum of 1.6 defense (fortified and minimum terrain bonus). I have a horrible time with barbs on Emp, which I guess is standard. AI civs seem to have better luck with barbs, so I let them do it for me. I did attack wandering barb warriors though, as they only had the terrain bonus to defense.

Oh, and I know that AP can't be turned on, I was just trying to find a way to explain some of the 1000 BC reports on here. I haven't read all of them, but there are a couple that seem just insane. I mean, one person has 2 wonders and someone else has 25 cities! I play the game a fair bit, but I don't think I've had anything close to that, even with AP turned on!

Your warmonger comment has me wondering. I tend to avoid wars as much as possible, but if I'm going to match Rome I need to take out the Celts. I don't go to war very often in my games, and when I do I lose or draw as often as I win. Ah well, the Celts shouldn't be too hard to overpower, as they still don't have their iron hooked up.

Thanks for the reply :D
:D :D

*edit* Corrected bad math and something I misread from an earlier post.

Originally posted by Stone Wolf
I played about 2 dozen games on Emporer before trying th GotM, though only 5 of them were completed.
Two dozen games :eek: I'd call you an Emperor level player then. You're too modest.
I don't think I've done anything that wouldn't disqualify me from th QSC. It's the same rules as GotM right? No reloading, no readin spoiler threads before you qualify, no using exploits or editors.
Right.
I was just trying to find a way to explain some of the 1000 BC reports on here. I haven't read all of them, but there are a couple that seem just insane. I mean, one person has 2 wonders and someone else has 25 cities! I play the game a fair bit, but I don't think I've had anything close to that, even with AP turned on!
I tought so. Those are exceptional games that you'll see in the top 10 next month. Someone has to be first :king:
Your warmonger comment has me wondering. I tend to avoid wars as much as possible, but if I'm going to match Rome I need to take out the Celts.
In time I noticed that warmongering leads to slightly better results, but luck plays a more important role (like when you only have 10 units and may lose none or 4 to take one town).
Try to take your time and play some games where you force yourself to be be a warmonger. You'll get the feeling.

I played about 2 dozen games on Emporer before trying th GotM,

That is more than the total number of games I've played!
You aren't a greenhorn anymore .... :)

But having a perfectly good Worker join the capital in the early game is generally not a good idea. Improving the land will help your empire more than that extra citizen or those few turns you gain for building a new Settler. In fact, in many of my games I start with building a second Worker and then typically catch up in empire size around 2550 BC.

Originally posted by Ribannah

That is more than the total number of games I've played!
You aren't a greenhorn anymore .... :)
I have to go with Ribannah here. You're a veteran compared to me :)

But having a perfectly good Worker join the capital in the early game is generally not a good idea. Improving the land will help your empire more than that extra citizen or those few turns you gain for building a new Settler. In fact, in many of my games I start with building a second Worker and then typically catch up in empire size around 2550 BC.
Again, I'll agree with Ribannah. The (not so humble) worker and/or slave will repay your initial investment a hundred times over.

An extra worker early on will really speed up your start. Just think of all those extra roaded, mined/irrigated squares. A worker produced at turn 20 has the potential to road 30 tiles (plains or grassland) or build 20 mines or irrigate 20 tiles never mind cutting down forests!

regards

Ted
p.s. Welcome to the big, bad world of GotM :)

But having a perfectly good Worker join the capital in the early game is generally not a good idea. Improving the land will help your empire more than that extra citizen or those few turns you gain for building a new Settler.
I would disagree with you Ribannah on the slave worker join to capitol issue. A slave worker is doing half a normal one's job but it’s worth a full citizen in the city. Then you can build a worker, which will be a national of course and you’ll get the full advantage. So you only lose a little time and 10 shields to upgrade your slave to a national. If you want to discuss the issue further you can make a separate thread.

Originally posted by Yndy

I would disagree with you Ribannah on the slave worker join to capitol issue. A slave worker is doing half a normal one's job but it’s worth a full citizen in the city. Then you can build a worker, which will be a national of course and you’ll get the full advantage. So you only lose a little time and 10 shields to upgrade your slave to a national.

I never join slave workers to anywhere for the simple reason they cost no upkeep. Your national worker will cost 1 gold every turn you are in democracy or republic on top of the 10 shields.

The slow work rate of slaves can be useful in forest clearance projects to avoid wasting the 10 bonus shields. When at war I also use them to lure AI units into ambushes.

Here's why I should never post when extremely tired. For some reason, I put down that I normally play on Warlord, when I meant to say Regent and (more recently) some on Monarch. Sorry about that. :blush: I've decided to ignore my health and go back to drinking lots of caffeine so it won't happen again. Yeah, that's why... ;)

I joined the workers because I figured that I had to grab the land close to the Celts as fast as possible. As I mentioned earlier, I wasted a lot of potential grabbing the spot S of my capital instead of N by the cattle and the lake. If I had just spent one more turn exploring N I would have seen that it was a lake instead of a coast and therefore access to fresh water. Actually, all I had to do was right-click on it. :rolleyes: Normally I try to work squares and get a granary out quickly before I start pumping out settlers, but I thought the Celts would have grabbed all of the land to my S and SE before I could. Little did I know that the Celts were so useless. Once I'm done this game I'll try again, going after the N cattle first and SE second. I'll also try to hold on to the slave workers if I get them again. My lone worker didn't keep up with Sogut's size too well.

Anyways, I will be taking out the Celts so I'll have to get used to actually using my military. Hopefully they won't get their only iron hooked up so I won't have to deal with their highly annoying UU. Even if they do, they can't have enough production to get more than a few out and I can always wait a bit and switch to Medieval Infantry. Carthage will have to wait until I get Sipahi I guess.

Top Bottom