1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sponsor Idea (Criticism welcome).

Discussion in 'CivBE - Ideas and Suggestions' started by Clips, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Clips

Clips Chieftain

I've been roaming the forums a while so I thought I'd say "Hello."

Anyway, my friend and I were discussing ideas to introduce more Sponsors into the game. Of course, the usual "making a new Sponsor or Civilization" is the usual approach, I thought of the idea of keeping most of the Sponsors the same but splitting them off into separate Factions.

On a literal standpoint these are just Sponsors and not Factions. So I'm assuming the ARC is comprised of the "Big Three" in North America: Canada, United States, and Mexico.

For example, assuming I pick the ARC as a Sponsor it would split up into a category of Factions:

ARC :: Canada, United States, and Mexico.

** ARC - Covert Operations are 25% faster and cause 25% more intrigue.

* Canada = +1 :c5food: Food from Plantations and Terrascapes.
    * United States = +1 Spy after building Spy Agency.
    * Mexico = +1 :c5culture: Culture and +1 :c5production: Production from Canyons.

In addition, the Sponsor bonus would also apply so they would be getting both a Sponsor bonus and a Unique Ability. Different leaders with more flavor are a must.

This would be a way of implementing more leaders while keeping most Sponsors intact as they're all mixed and bunched up together.

2. Fins

Fins Warlord

I understand that desire - "different leaders with more flavor are a must". But i think, merely dropping a single (and rather small - can't be anything big for balancing reasons) feature to differentiate between them - won't work at all.

Why? Because "more flavour" is exactly about quite many differencies. Some subtle, some not so much. In Civ5, all those "different flavour" leaders have them, at least - such differencies. Not just in terms of few stats at the start, but also in diplomatic relations, and each has its own colors (territory, border), and graphics (animated, of course), and "story" of their own, and varying "warmongering" attitude (themselves; from none to agressive), background music and probably other subtle differencies. Together, all that create the "flavour" - and Civ:BE follows this "manner" of making "leaders" quite closely.

I think, if to do what you propose, very soon those extra factions would become "nah, it's all the same" despite whatever +1-something-not-game-breaking you'd give them...

I'm sorry, but it's what i think.

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Moved to Civ BE - Ideas & Suggestions.

4. oldag07

oldag07 Warlord

Needs some work, but it is a good start. The US probably needs more of a bonus. Spies are good, but not that good.