Spoonwood's Hall of Fame Attempts

Learn/relearn that if workers get fortified, then woken up, then they will end up first in the given move order.
👍. This holds for any stack of units. Particularly useful for stacks of workers and artillery. No more other units interfering while you mass railroad or mass bombard.

Edit: my own picture of Lyo 14 above shows that worker not digging last turn.

:lol: Rofl. That really made my day. Portuguese worker connecting your capital while fortifing military in your territory :D.

If you don't get them to declare war soon you may end up with 14 Portuguese workers "helping" around your capital :p

Though I get the feeling they might just declare war during the interturn now? They would be able to take at least three cities. I've seen many top players not defending their potentially threatened cities with a (single) military unit directly, though I don't really understand why. Of course you can retake them next turn, but still would lose production and commerce for one turn?

Last edited:
Though I get the feeling they might just declare war during the interturn now?
We have Polite relations and Portugal supplies us with some gold per turn and a luxury. The latter two imply that if they declare war, they take a reputation hit. We also have a right of passage, which comes as another means by which AIs can take a reputation hit. The AIs also have the 'least aggressive' setting.

570 AD - Spot two Portuguese cavalry. I think they only recently got saltpeter. Renegotiate peace treaty with Henry. Portugal declares war on France. The Maya, India, Egypt, Scandinavia, Rome, and The Zulu declare war on Portugal via trade of a luxury or a resource from one of them in exchange for gpt. It would cost 28 gpt for The Mongols to declare on Portugal. The AIs building banks can have it's uses, and gpt to backwards AIs can disappear. So, we trade the Mongols Banking so that they declare war on Portugal. Trade Egypt Banking for furs this turn also.

We capture New Tsingtao, Chengdu, New Beijing, 017, and New Shanghai. After fighting some battles, the explorers pillage and two of them get abandoned.

Portuguese War Leader 1.png

New Beijing, Beijing, Chendu, and Kaifeng get gifted to The Zulu. Both rifleman that haven't fought and cavalry that have fortify in border cities. At one spot we even use four rifleman so that the cavalry that attacked won't get counterattacked:

Tie.png

Lose two slaves to Portugal. Many Portguese soldiers chase after one of our slaves, and we lose it. We get a palace expansion.

580 AD -
580 MGL.png

2nd 580 MGL.png

We recapture Beijing, New Beijing. We lose one army as I too aggressively order it to attack at 6/13 Chengdu. We do manage to capture Chengdu, even flinging some 2/4 cavalry at some of the units in there probably hastily. Some cannons fire from inside of Chengu. We gift Chengdu to the Zulu. Our military advisor rates as "average" to Portugal.

Two trebuchets bombard our 6/14 army which wounds. Then it gets attacked and many of our cavalry get attacked. A Portuguese knight captures New Beijing. After one city completes the build, I use the arrows to cash rush a few horsemen.

590 AD - Pollution strikes Lyo 14. Luxuries up to 10%. Sell world map to India for a worker, 2 gpt, and 26 gold. Note

590 MGL 1.png

590 MGL 2.png

590 MGL 3.png

590 MGL 4.png

Recapture New Beijing. Armies attack Chengdu which had at least 6 rifleman. We don't capture it, but we don't suffer losses either. Learn Industrialization. Lyo 14 swaps to Universal Suffrage, due in 6 turns. Start research on Electricity with a projection of 12 turns.

600 AD - Luxuries up to 30%. Electricity projected to get completed in 15 turns.

600 MGL 1.png

600 MGL 2.png

We capture Chengdu.

600 MGL 3.png

We capture Kaifeng and 007 6, which has a bank :)

610 AD - The Zulu have learned Communism. We pick it up and sell it to India for 99 gpt and their World Map. We capture Castelo Branco, Alacer do Sal. We lose an army 9/13 when it started, attacking Buffalo. We capture Buffalo.

62 cpt currently in Lyo 14. 3077 culture total. 273 more turns without doubling or more wonders to 20,000 culture. The current turn is the 176th turn. Projected turn date without doubline or more wonders is turn 449. Turn 449 is (2050-(540-449)) = 1959 AD. The screenshots in this post can get used to calculate a more accurate finish date prediction.

Last edited:
The Celts and Portugal sign a trade embargo against us. Via military alliances with Portugal, The Celts declare war on the Romans. The Hittities declare war on Egypt, The Zulu. Egypt declares war on the Indians. The Aztecs declare war on the Portuguese. Alacer do Sal, Buffalo, and Castelo Branco riot.

620 AD - Sell our world map to The Hittities for 49 gold and their world map. Sell Aztecs our world map for 48 gold and their world map. We capture Braga and Emerita. This puts us in range to deny Portuguese workers from hooking iron up:

No Iron.png

The Celts sign a peace treaty with India.

630 AD -

630 MGL 1.png

630 MGL 2.png

We capture Lourenco Marques and Sao Paulo.

630 MGL 3.png

We capture Sao Mamede. Near to Sao Mamede we capture a worker that had worked in the process of building a road tile.

Castelo Branco riots.

640 AD - Sell India Steam Power for 63 gpt, 4 gold, and their world map. We lose a fully healthy army attacking Lagos. We capture Lagos. We lose a 14/14 army attacking Luanda. We capture Luanda.

640 MGL 1.png

We lose a 12/12 army attacking Viseu, which only takes a hitpoint off of the rifleman it attacked. We do capture Viseu.

Universal Suffrage completes. Start on The Pentagon (having The Pentagon earlier might have prevented army losses). Buffalo riots.

650 AD - Luxuries up to 40%. We could sell Industrialization to India for some 200+ gpt, but since I don't want the AIs to learn Replacable Parts quickly and I think they'll become more difficult (and probably poorer) after learning Industrialization, I don't sell Industrialization. We capture Guarda and Coimbra.

650 MGL 1.png

That MGL rushes The Pentagon. An army and a settler move out west of Lagos towards a Portugal city. An army and a group of cannons move north of Lagos towards another Portugal city. The Mongols sign a peace treaty with Portugal. The resistance in Guarda ends, but it riots.

660 AD - The Mongols declare war on Portugal. Lyo 14 shortushes a worker and then a factory. Since no one off of the main continent seems a threat to get wonders or launch a spaceship, I decide to have 4/4 cavalry join armies. Also, because I don't want more army losses and feel frustrated by those losses. There still exist many AI units not in cities to kill, so I don't think that going with 4 cavalry armies is necessarily the best choice, but at least the kill/death ratio of our units likely will end up better with 4 cavalry armies.

We capture Badajoz, Oporto which has The Sistine Chapel, Leira which has Sun Tzu's Art of War, and Evora. Scandinavia signs a peace treaty with Portugal. So does Rome. Badajoz riots. Sao Mamede flips.

670 AD - Scandinavia and Rome go back to war with Portgual. Lyo 14 shortushes a worker and then a marketplace and swaps to a coal plant to finish in a single turn. We recapture Sao Mamede. We capture Sagres.

670 MGL 1.png

We capture Guimaraes and with it Leonardo's Workshop, Faro, and Rio Janeiro. This leaves Portgual with one city; Lisbon.

Also, because I don't want more army losses and feel frustrated by those losses.
Understandable. That is really some bad luck you had there. It does happen though, mine just survived with 2 hp (from 15 starting hp) vs a regular rifleman in a grassland size 12 city . With 4 Cavs chances should be better.

Preventing the AIs to get Replacable Parts as long as possible is usually my strategy as well. It just took me over 20 Artillery to redline 4 infantry in a size 12 city. Conquering speed gets much lower until discovery of Tanks.

India signs a peace treaty with Portugal. The resistance ends in Guimaraes and there happens a riot. Lyo 14 completes a coal plant and starts on a granary (I think I sold it before... selling granaries in this particular game makes no sense). Coimbra flips. Rio Janiero riots.

680 AD - Recapture Coimbra. We capture Lisbon and the Portuguese empire is no longer. Sell off built barracks, since we have them everywhere now. Electricity project to get completed in 5 turns at 100%.

690 AD - Rome and India have Fascism, with Rome having the gold :). We do pick up Fascism.

We railroad some territory in Mongolia and move armies into that territory.

700 AD - We gift one city to The Zulu since there's a Mongolian stack of units by it and we don't have any roads to it:

Bes.png

The Mongols declare war on France. The Maya, India (for 15 gpt + World Map), Scandinavia, Egypt, Rome, The Zulu, and Arabia declare war on Mongolia. We capture Omi, Toyama, and Ise.

700 MGL 1.png

We capture Ereen, Tsetserleg. But, we gift Tsetserleg to the Zulu, since we can't manage to get any rifleman to it this turn. The Hittites and The Zulu sign a peace treaty.

710 AD - Rome, India, and Scandinavia have Medicine. Acquire Medicine. Science down to 40% with Electricity due in 2 turns. We capture Choyr, Batshireet, Ulaangom, Baruun-Urt, Echizen.

710 MGL 1.png

We recapture Besancon, but again regift it to The Zulu. We capture Athribis, Edfu, and Darhan.

720 AD - Science back to 50%. We capture Choybalsan, Ulaanbaatar, Dalandzadgad, Erdenet, Mandalgovi, and Ta-Tu. Rome and The Celts sign a peace treaty. The Celts declare war on India via an alliance with The Mongols. We learn Electricity and set science to 100%, Scientific Method projected to get completed in 6 turns. Lyo 14 makes 88 shields per turn, Theory of Evolution costs 600 shields, and thus Lyo 14 gets set to a palace instead of a cavalry. Echizen flips.

730 AD - We recapture Echizen and Tsetserleg. We capture Kazan which has The Oracle, Karakorum, Almarikh which has The Great Lighthouse, Hovd, and Pi-Ramesses. The Mongols though are still alive.

Last edited:
Ulaangom flips. Lyo 14 gets pollution.

740 AD - I had seen this city earlier, but forgot about it:

Mongol capital.png

750 AD - Renegotiate the peace treaty with Egypt, pillage, and Egypt declares war on France. Arabia, Scandinavia, Rome, The Maya, and The Zulu declare war on Egypt. We capture Lisht, El-Ashmunein. We lose an army attacking El-Amarna. We capture El-Amarna, Elephantine, Thebes, Memphis, and Alexandria:

750 MGL 1.png

We capture Pithom, Giza, and Buto. Darhan flips.

760 AD - We recapture Darhan. We capture Hieraconpolis, Heliopolis, and Abydos. Egypt has two cities left:

2 Egyptian cities.png

Dang... I accidently didn't save after I took that picture. Well, I'll try to put the armies back near Byblos. Byblos gets captured by Rome.

770 AD - Science back to 90%. We capture Kahun and Egypt no longer exists as a nation, though, of course, Egyptian people still exist. I don't know who to fight next: Scandinavia doesn't supply us with gold, or Rome who supplies us with gold, but we have a large border with and might use military help from everyone to fight.

The Mongols and Zululand sign a peace treaty. Karakorum flips.

780 AD - Science back to 80%. Renegotiate peace treaty with Rome. The Romans declare war on us. Arabia, India, Scandinavia, Zululand, and The Maya declare war on Rome. The Zulu go back to war with The Mongols. We recapture Karakorum. We capture Byblos, Tokyo, Satsuma, Izumo, and Yokohama. We gift Kahun to The Zulu.

The Romans capture Byblos, as I mistakenly thought it didn't need any defense. Complete Scientific Method. Set the next technologies to Atmoic Theory and Electronics. Using "What's the Big Picture" swap palace prebuild to Theory of Evolution. Lyo 14 completes the Theory of Evolution and starts on the Hoover Dam, projected to get compelted in 9 turns.

790 AD - Research set to 90% with The Corporation projected to get completed in 6 turns. Recapture Byblos. We destroy Paoting. We capture Ravenna. 70 cpt in Lyo 14, with 4270 culture accumulated. Were nothing to change, 20,000 culture would thus get reached in 225 turns. The current turn is 194. 225 + 194 = 419, and the 440th turn is 1950.

The Maya sign a peace treaty with The Mongols and so does Arabia. The Hittites sign a trade embargo with Rome against us. We lose Memphis as it was not defended to a roman cavalry.

800 AD - Buildings get sold in Ravenna and it gets abandoned, since it's on top of saltpeter. Arabia and The Maya go back to war with The Mongols. We recapture Memphis.

We capture Syracuse, Brundisium, and Hippo Regius. The Hittites and India sign an alliance against Rome, and The Mongols. Ulaanbaatar flips.

810 AD - Scandinavia has Ironclads. Acquire Ironclads. Trade India Ironclads and our World Map for 277 gpt, 222 gold, and their World Map. We recapture Ulaanbaatar.

810 MGL 1.png

We capture Cumae, Hispalis, Kahun, Nicomedia, and Aurelianorum.

The Mongols sign a peace treaty with Scandinavia.

820 AD - Scandinavia goes back to war with The Mongols. We capture Pisae, Antium, Viroconium, Caesaraugusta, and Palmyra. We gift Palmyra to The Zulu.

Hispalis flips.

830 AD - We recapture Hispalis. We capture Neapolis, Rome with only two armies and four attacks, Veii, Pompeii.

830 MGL 1.png

We capture Seleucia, Tarentum, Artaxata, Byzantium which has Newton's University of Fluxions, Nicopolis, Caesarea, and Londinium.

Rome is done.png

Military Advisor.png

Top Bottom