SPORE SimEarth game

SilverKnight

Prince
Take 35 minutes out of your day. I promise you wont regret it.

Spore

If you haven't seen this already, it's a clip of a a new game being developed called "Spore," shaping up to be the next big thing in gaming. It's a presentation by the game's developer, Will Wright, it's 35 minutes long, and I wish there was more. I can't stress enough how important it is to get this out to the CF community; if I know anything about my fellow Civvers, it's that they will all crave this game as much as I do! :drool:

Basically, it's a SimEarth-type game that uses "procedural coding" to work out every little detail from all organisms' evolution on a planet to sentience and the development of civilization (wink, wink!) to intersellar activities such as terraformation, contact with extraterrestrials (evolved and controlled by other players), and anything else you could imagine. Abduction of aliens for zoos, wars between worlds, interstellar trade, ANYTHING!

Very worth checking out. :D Here's another link with more detailed info, and the game's link:

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/595/595975p1.html
http://spore.ea.com/

In Amazement, :eek:
SilverKnight

Hello Silverknight

When Spore information first blipped onto the gaming radar, the only place you could go to even "hear" what Spore was "really" about was http://www.gamingsteve.com/. He actually had a huge podcast (online radio session) where he literally hyped up thousands of people for half a year on Spore's mere description after viewing Will Wright's hour long presentation at GDC 2005. Although, I do not agree with the description "SimEarth," but I prefer "SimEverything."

I actually have the full hour long video -- but it's a real hassle to upload it to Google video.

Anyway, I'm glad your interested. If you're looking for a Spore community, the only real one that exists at this time is at http://www.gamingsteve.com/. I'd like to invite you to check it out.

Oh, and, just as an extra tidbit. Cybernetics is in the game, along with robots, from what I've heard.

Wishing you the best,
Jecrell

Looks Interesting!

yeah. this game will rock!
first i have read about it a year ago as it was showed on the gdc and since then i can't wait to get my graspers on it **g**

i only managed to see 18mins of it before work reared its ugly head. looks really fun- can't wait to see how what looks to be a fight coming up turns out!

Oh my oh my, time to spare for a new PC to run spore ;)

I think i know why spore, coz spare!

Looks cool, i wonder if you can make a human-like being, or a dolphin...

OMG... Carebear, i bet you can make a human like-being ;)

once it is made their will be no need for any other games. Until Spore 2 that is. This might be the only game which will take away my love for civ

I watched the whole thing. Wow. The only thing that looked bad were the actual graphics, but looking at screenshots, they look very, very good. When is it coming out?

I guess it can be a fun game. But unless there is some resonable depth in an early stage of the game (before going to space) it could get quickly boring. Wouldn't it just be a space race? What are your goals in the game? Will it be like a MMRPG where you have no goals and you just fool around?

Did you actually listen to it? He said that the beginning was a tutorial for the end, and was purposefully goal oriented. The end is supposed to be very open, and has no real goal. You are just supposed to be as creative as possible. The beginning teaches how to use the editors and understand the different stages, so you can be creative at the end.

The video was around last year, but this looks like the "meat" of the content.

kandalf said:
Did you actually listen to it? He said that the beginning was a tutorial for the end, and was purposefully goal oriented. The end is supposed to be very open, and has no real goal. You are just supposed to be as creative as possible. The beginning teaches how to use the editors and understand the different stages, so you can be creative at the end.

Yeah i did listen to it. But would it be possible in the "end" to have a Civ like gameplay? I mean playing God will get old someday but it would be cool if you could actually interract with alien species that are equal or even superior to you. I know it's suppose to be more of a fun and creative game but it would be nice if there were a few advanced strategic elements in it.

surviving.

BTW, SilverKnight - you need to reduce your sig. 5 lines is the limit.

0d1n3oo3Broad said:
... and since then i can't wait to get my graspers on it **g**

:lol: Just don't make Willosaurus sounds in the store when you do.

Chieftess said:
BTW, SilverKnight - you need to reduce your sig. 5 lines is the limit.

Whoops, sorry... :blush: It's been a long time since I read the faq, and I got little excited. Fixed! :thumbsup:

I admit that I'd like to see some advanced options later in the game like cultural exchange, cooperation, diplomacy, etc. But bringing in war as an advanced option might not be that fun... imagine a civilization you've created from a single-celled organism to a sentient and thriving species over months of diligent work wiped out by the whim of some 13 year old in his mom's basement (no harm intended) with a much more advanced civilization. Now if it was entirely optional AND you could keep your game's progress, say by saving your game on your hard drive, then uploading it to a PvP server to battle it out for a while. That way, whether or not you win or lose (or have your planet blown up! :p) has no affect on all the hard work you've put in to your world. It would be similar to single-/multi-player strategy games like Civ; you can enter the online arena for bragging rights, and maybe to see how other people made their worlds, but in the end, your people are safe. Meanwhile, everyone could enter into non-violent interaction with each other that would actually affect their game, like getting new technologies or species, etc.

Personally, I'm more interested in the terraformation aspect, and I hope they flush it out quite a bit. I'd be more than willing to lay down $100 for a game that advanced, not to mention the hardware I'm already saving up for! :crazyeye:

SilverKnight

Kumagoro said:
Oh my oh my, time to spare for a new PC to run spore ;)

I think i know why spore, coz spare!

Looks cool, i wonder if you can make a human-like being, or a dolphin...

OMG... Carebear, i bet you can make a human like-being ;)

if it's going to be what they say it will, then you can create anything you want :beer:
i just hope it will become what they it'll be

Top Bottom