1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Spotlight and GS (?) and Mojave (?)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Macintosh' started by oakdragon, Mar 6, 2019.

1. oakdragon

oakdragon Stagnating amongst the Siliconians Supporter

I've been disappointed with how GS slowed down the Civ VI experience for Mac users (at least ones with my system), or, at the very least, did not provide the the improvements the patch notes said they would. So, I've been trying to brainstorm ways of speeding things up on my end while keeping the graphics quality to my tastes.

As most of you probably know, the Spotlight search feature in OS X constantly updates a database of information that speeds up searches as content changes on your hard drive (files saved or updated, etc.). Telling Spotlight to ignore certain apps and folders on your drive (System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy Tab) tends to speed up the performance of many apps, including games, and especially simulations. Traditionally, I've included the Steam folder, Application Support, and the Steam app among the items in this ignore list for this purpose. I decided to double-check my settings and, lo' and behold, they'd been reverted to the defaults! (i.e., ignoring nothing).

I haven't been keeping close tabs on when this changed, so I don't know if it occurred with a Steam update or Mojave (most likely the latter... I'm using the public beta), but I thought it was worth sharing this with you since I'm sure many of you would want to know. I'll have to keep tabs on just how much this helps, but I'm sure it will at least help some.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    jpinoniemi likes this.
  2. GooBerry

GooBerry Chieftain

Yeah i thought it was just me that since installing GS my framerate has just tanked. I'll try the spotlight trick later on though thanks :)

oakdragon likes this.
  3. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Started a thread on this very topic. Your's didn't catch my eye.

My experience:

I've started two games in GS and both start becoming progressivley sluggish around 1300's-1500's. Both games on standard size maps with the default number of rivals/city-states. Graphics set low, where I always play games - which what made this issue so noticeable.

Excerpts from my Aspyr support ticket. They responded, asking for additional details per SOP. Sent them a couple save files as well.

Gathering Storm becomes extremely sluggish after about 15 minutes of gameplay. Units respond poorly to commands; delayed action and jerky. Can provide a save if helpful. Feels like it may be a memory leak.

I did play a save from R&F and it played smoothly, as designed. When loading and playing a late-game R&F save file everything renders quickly, as designed.