1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

spread religion...can't figure some stuff out

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by papajohns, Oct 26, 2016.

1. papajohns

papajohns Prince

I have problems figuring how this whole religion spread works...manual is useless, game too new for good guides to be out there telling you what is what.

So i use missionaries to go spread religion around the other towns.. but why is it that sometime when i use a charge, i get more followers.... but sometime those numbers dont change at all....

in the religion lens view, some cities show how many followers of what religions there are..some cities dont show any...surely those cities must have some sort of religion no?

does anyone know how this whole thing works?

2. skyclad

skyclad Prince

I've been meaning to make a thread like this myself, thank you!
    From my experiments inquisitors are amazing at keeping your own cities straight. They cost only as a missionary but both remove foreign religions and spread yours. But they are weak in combat vs apostles...
    As it is I found one of the best ways to spread a religion is to engage in combat with those units. You both removed foreign religion and spread your own when you win, in a large radius. And the apostle still has his charge after the victory, and can convert a couple of cities more.

The interface is very lacking at the moment unfortunately, not showing passive pressure except with arrows (which mean what exactly? Can't hover över for an explanation).

Sidenote, the religious buildings don't seem very useful i think... For 300 faith you can get 3 faith per turn + a small bonus... wow. Not impressive. Maybe I'm wrong and if I am please enlighten me, but it seems like a trap.

3. Antiriad

Antiriad Chieftain

I think when two religions are even, the city becomes religion neutral. You need to tip the balance one way or the other to make it religious again.

Watch out if your capital (holy city?) ever becomes converted to another religion - I used an inquisitor thinking it would eradicate the foreign religion, but it wiped out what remained of my own religion. It seemed all my inquisitors had converted too.

I then tried this against an opponent thinking if I converted their holy city all their missionaries would become my religion - not the case though. They still produced their own missionaries so maybe this effect only occurs with inquisitors?

4. essmene

essmene Warlord

Inquisitors are as strong as apostles on your own turf - or a little stronger with theology and +combat civic.

Main thing to know about "Combat" units like apostles with debater trait (+20 str) and inquisitors is that they can heal on the holy site or next to it.

So the only time you want to use their charges if you are taken by surprise - all other times you want to kill the AI units and heal your damaged ones.

5. CelJaded

CelJaded DENOUNCING!

I founded a religion pretty quickly on a Deity game today with Russia only to find my holy city *wasn't* actually following my religion. This prevented me from buying any missionaries/apostles and the religion report read that it was dominant in zero cities despite St. Petersburg being labelled as the Holy City. Any ideas on why this might be?

6. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

I'll try to help.

-The religion lens currently shows the breakdown for followers on religious cities. If black borders and no info is shown, there is no followers of any religion in that city.

-Use missionaries for cities without a religion - do it as soon as possible.
    -Send your missionaries to Civs without a religion, city states, everywhere you can.
    -Missionaries won't cut it to convert a city with an existing strong religion to yours. Time for apostles.

-Apostles have different promotions, and therefore need to be used in different ways.
    -Always take, if going for a religious victory, one of the two following promotions: Proselytizer (eliminates other religions) to convert cities or Debater (extra strength) for religius warfare.
    -Never use up the last charge of Apostle units (unless his promotion is Proselytizer). They are much more useful for religious warfare.
    -Use apostles as defensive units in points where the AI sends his religious units. Don't attack first unless you have clearly the upper hand, just wait for the AI to make a mistake and crush him.

-Religious warfare gives the victor extra religious pressure in adjacent cities (and quite a bit, I must say!) unless the loser has "Religious isolation" as a pantheon.
    -Holy districts and their adjacent tiles heal religious units - just park them there for a while when they are damaged. Your Holy district or any other, as long as the city follows your religion.

-Ready to convert a religious neighbour? Great - create an army of at least 6 apostles and a couple of missionaries.
    -Your goal - cities with a holy site district, religious units can only be built on holy cities (the one that founded the religion) or holy sites.
    -Make your way towards your objetive clearing up his religious units. Once you have a foothold on the City, wait for enemy religious units to appear, dont be overly agressive, the AI will attack you anyway.
    -Once he is crippled, use the charges (all but one) in your apostles, use up your missionaries and decide who gets to enjoy your true religion next.

-Having trouble defending your own cities? Use one apostle (ideally, one with a bad promotion) to launch an inquisition. Inquisitors are comparatively cheap and put up a good fight against apostles.
    -Having real trouble? Good news, religious units inside a city can't be attacked. Park your inquisitors inside your cities and only use them once the AI has converted your city and moved elswhere.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  7. beorn

beorn Prince

Yes to all of this. For a much changed feature, these details are not well documented. The Civilopedia does a broad brush overview, although I am not seeing the all the combat bonuses they mention there, nor all the apostle promotion choices. Nor do the different in-game measures of religious citizens in a city match. My guess is that this is something that was being fine tuned late in development. But I'd really like to see up-to-date documentation.

One thing I can offer -- from the civilopedia -- is that damaged religious units have less power to convert citizens, but I have a feeling that that is not the explanation of what the OP describes.

8. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

religion wasnt well documented in civ5 either
    in the cities there are no followers actually but points stored, and followers is just a UI thing
    e.g. if its a size 5 city and there are 3 orthodox and 2 islam followers, actual points accumulated can be say 300 and 200 just as 30000 and 20000 so your missionary's 200 points wont make any difference

9. DocRock

DocRock Prince

How does religious pressure work? Does it work at all? It seems to me that no single city converted without me sending a unit. And Ive already won a religious victory...

10. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

it works
    certain numbers arent known though
    but general rule is smaller cities are converted faster.

11. King_Course

King_Course Prince

I think the AI must have bought the missionary from another site than the city you converted. I converted a holy city, and later one of his apostles showed up. I raged at the dumb game because my apostle could not be allowed to attack him. Until I figured out he was my religion.

12. qadams

qadams Bohemian

This is really great information. Thanks so much!

(How come they don't put all this in the Civilopedia??)

13. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Assuming that it works similar to civ 5

Everything is based around an unshown "religious influence number" for each religion in a city

When a missionary/ uses a charge that adds to the "religious influence" of their religion

Winning religious combat adds to the "religious influence" of the winners religion (for all city centers in 10 tiles)
    Losing religious combat reduces to the "religious influence" of the losers religion (for all city centers in 10 tiles)

A city adds a small amount of "religious influence" every turn (for the religion that city follows) to all city centers in 10 turns (this is the 'pressure')

There is some "no religion" religious influence as well.

The Followers of a Religion are
    Population of City*(Religious influence of this religion)/(Total Religious influence of all religions in this city)

There are some otherways to increase+decrease religious influence (inquisitors reduce other religions, it probably increases as pop goes up, and religions will get a burst of influence when they are founded... and holy cities get some religious influence for their religion every turn, etc.)

But that is why a missionary charge can sometimes get you a large number of followers, and sometimes none...... if there is a lot of "religious influence" in the city already then each follower costs a lot more "religious influence"

14. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Some religion bugs to look out for, too.

1. If there's no dominant religion in a city, then you don't get the circle chart, even if there are followers in that city.

2. If you save and reload, sometimes your city report will no longer show your own religion.

3. If you promise the AI that you'll stop converting his cities, then you might get a broken promise notification without actually doing anything.

15. papajohns

papajohns Prince

so if there are no followers of any religion in a city, and i send a missionary over to the city to spread..wouldnt that make it 1 follower for my religion afterwards? how come when i do this on some cities ( not all..but some, and that is why it is so confusing ) nothing happens... the number of followers for my religion ( or any for that matter ) does not show up.

16. beorn

beorn Prince

Another problem: I just started a new game, founded a religion, and sent my missionary to my second city. He "spread religion" on turn, but the next turn the city is still surrounded in black, and selecting the missionary shows that although my first city is a shaded area with the "circle" more than half colored to show the religion, the second city shows nothing. However... if I click on the city bar and look in the lower right, I see "religious citizens" is 2. (This is out of 5. Other citizens are not religious, no other religions have been founded in this part of the world.)

So maybe the missionary is working properly, but the in-game report is bugged. Maybe the missionary is working properly, but the in-game reports are poorly designed and confusing. Or maybe the missionary did not work properly.

17. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

I'm afraid the religious lens has... well, some issues. If a city appears to have no followers, it might not always be the case. You won't get the full breakdown until you do convert at least 1 citizen to your religion, in what seems to be a bug at this time.

Whether your missionary spread will convert a citizen or not appears to depend on whether there are there citizens that don't follow any religion in such city. Keep putting pressure and eventually 1 citizen will follow your religion and you'll get the correct info on the religious lens.

You need to have the majority of citizens following your religion in order for the city (as a whole) to convert.

I wish someone involved in the development of the game could help us understand how some things work. On second thought, some fellow fanatics would eat him alive if he did.

18. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

This is bug #1 from my previous post. As soon as there's a majority religion in the city, you'll see the circle chart. As long as there's no majority, you don't get a chart, even if there are some followers of one or more religions.

Because of this, you might also observe the scenario where your city has a majority religion, then loses a majority and therefore loses the circle chart, only to gain it back once a religion gains the majority again.

It's clearly broken. There's a check somewhere that says "if this city has a majority religion, then show the chart, else don't." That's silly. The chart should always be there when you select a religious unit.

Plus Ultra likes this.