Spring Temple Buddha

The largest statue in the world; the Spring Temple Buddha in central China :D

Includes Building Large & Small PCXs, as well as City Screen buildings Large & Small PCXs and Wonder Splash.

Spoiler :
#BLDG_Buddha
^
^The [Spring Temple Buddha] makes one unhappy citizen $LINK<content=GCON_Moods> in all of your cities, and an additional one unhappy citizen content in the city its in.
#DESC_BLDG_Buddha
^
^The Spring Temple Buddha is a statue depicting Vairocana Buddha located in the Zhaocun township of Lushan County, Henan, China. It is placed within the Fodushan Scenic Area, close to National Freeway no. 311. The statue was completed in 2002. At 128 m, which includes a 20 m lotus throne, it is the tallest statue in the world. When the 25 m pedestal/building it is placed upon is taken into account, the monument has a total height of 153 m. In 2009, the hill on which the statue stands was reshaped to form two further pedestals, the upper one being 15 m tall, making the total height of the monument is now 208 m.
^
^The Chinse government decided to build the statue after two events; first construction had begun on the Maitreya Project by Indian and British planners in Bihar, Northern India, which set out to be the world's largest statue itself. Secondly, plans of the construction of the Spring Temple Buddha were announced soon after the blowing up of the Bamiyan Buddhas by the Taliban in Afghanistan. China has condemned the systematic destruction of the Buddhist heritage of Afghanistan.
^
^The project as a whole was estimated to cost around $55m, $18m of which being spent on the statue. It was originally estimated to consist of 1,100 pieces of copper cast, with a total weight of 1,000 tonnes.
^
^The Spring Temple Buddha derives its name from the nearby Tianrui hot spring, which spews water at 60 °C and is renowned in the area for its curative properties.
Download

ok I just looked closely at the picture of the actual statue and wow that thing is huge...

Nice wonder! The shadows of the buildings.pcx looks quite good. It appears a bit strange stange to me that the head is cut off while there is a lot of space below the buddha.

Nice wonder! The shadows of the buildings.pcx looks quite good. It appears a bit strange stange to me that the head is cut off while there is a lot of space below the buddha.

Ah, I knew something didn't quite look right. That's it. Samez is right I think. It would look better if the whole thing was moved down a bit. Still, looks good as is if you can't be bothered.

Cheers,

Nick

Nice wonder! The shadows of the buildings.pcx looks quite good.

Thank you for noticing. It took me quite some time to get the shadows just right.

It appears a bit strange stange to me that the head is cut off while there is a lot of space below the buddha.

Well, as you'll notice the statue itself is sitting upon the pedestal that all civ3 statue wonders use (ie, the epic). It seems to be a well-established tradition of this community to use that pedestal for our own creations, doing a simple search of 'statue' in the graphics sub-forum reveals plenty of them. So I simply did the same. I realize how odd it may look with the head so near the top border (it is not cut off), but to have changed the size of the Buddha anymore would have made it so small as to start losing important details.

I can definitely see your point about reducing the size any more, but you could move the civ3 statue pedestal a bit down and copy 'n paste some grass background above the Buddha's head.
Working with layers might be useful.
I added a picture of what I tried to explain

Attachments

• buddha3.png
    buddha3.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 202
Top Bottom