SprylliNES IV: The Eternal Myth

spryllino

Deity
Status: Update Five has happened! Everyone should write an in-thread story for their character/family, and they should indicate what actions they want their character/family to undertake for Update Six.

Note for would-be players: Player stories are canonical in this NES so would-be players should read the whole thread, or at least carefully look through the stories for the important details, not all of which are necessarily in the updates. The NES is quite slow-moving but so much happens outside the updates that this is really no bad thing and it isn't as slow as the number of updates would suggest.

Spoilered stories are non-canonical and do not fit into the overall narrative. Please ignore them.

This post contains many important instructions telling you in what spirit this NES is to be played, i.e. one of collaboration not of competition. There are quite a lot of OOC posts containing arguments preceding and following this post, but would-be players can safely ignore their contents, generally speaking.

Update 1
Update 2
Update 3
Update 4
Summary of the plot up to Update 5
Update 5

Rough Map (Turn 4)

IC:

The land of Pog is a wealthy land. The three great cities on the Great Lake lie stretching before the observer who sits patiently at the top of the Tower of the Saints. But as I look down, down from the Tower over the lake, anxious, I know that all this luxury will perish in fire and blood one day. For the books tell of the fire and blood sent by the Devil to punish the poor. For they are all poor who dwell in splendour but have nothing of the air, of the trees, of the outside world. But not that fire and blood! There will be fire and blood tomorrow and the next day and for as long as I live, for the people are coming from beyond the Hills. They are numberless, and they think they are the Devil himself. We think they are the Devil himself, or at least they do in the cities. I am from the city, and so I believe the same.

But I don’t. Confound reason; I was never born to be reasonable! I was born to sit here, on the Tower of the Saints, like my father and his father before him, and pretend to be an oracle. For what do they do with oracles when they think they can’t prophesy any more? They hang them from that tree. Do you see the one? I could probably hit it with my arrow from this far away. I’ve had enough practice. I have shot so many animals and just watched the birds feast. What else is there to do?

Read? I’ve read it all. Every single tome written in the bare two thousand years this world’s existed. Maybe one day there’ll be more to read. Maybe these hordes that are coming of people who are supposedly the Devil will make sure that no-one ever reads again. Who knows?

And write? Confound that too. I’ve written more than I’ve read. I write history. I tell of the birds I see between the crestallations. I tell of the oracles I give. I even tell of the doings of wicked man as he fights and eats and reads all around me. But mostly fights. Still, the birds are the best bit. Prince, let me show you my works on ornithology.

No, you’d rather hear the history? But, my prince, the world was not made for you but for the birds. We have the Devil to haunt and tire and kill some of us every day of our corrupted lives. And you are but the highest pinnacle of this. My prince, you threaten me? You demand I hand over my scrolls? But, sir, it is so true! Very well, I shall tell you of your own sin and corruption.

You see that city, far below? You see the towers and their lofty pinnacles, known since time immemorial? There you were born. There your race was born, the offspring of the great lord Gritchen, fifteen hundred years ago if my calculations are right, and I assure you they are, sir. Gritchen was a generous man, and under him the first city was built under the fine starred canopy. It was built in a single night. Some say the Devil slept. Others say he was busy on the other side of this accursed earth making trouble for our future.

Who will be Gritchen and build us a magical city, magnificent with gold and glowing with spired turrets, unhindered by the all-powerful Devil, in a single Night?

Spoiler :
No God please. These are satanists in case you haven’t noticed. Of course, if you want to create cults of some kind, feel free.

As you can see, I have just invited one player. You can participate by PMing me to tell me why (although no-one will be let in until there is a city) or by waiting until I unveil a role. I want someone who can create a city and write about it please, not just anyone! So please, a good, intelligible writer. And be specific.

Stats will come as necessary as the universe develops. You may post as soon as I’ve reserved five posts, including this one.

Players

End of Turn 1:

Seon is Endas the Witch
Anonymoose is Frast Over-the-Lake
Abaddon is Micil the Brave
Megaman_zx is Higgs of the Hills
Quisani is Cephas the Wildman
electric926 is Midnas Ax-Lord

Dontas Horsehammer is free

Turn 2:

Seon is Endas the Witch, the Undying Queen
Anonymoose is Frast, descendant of Frast Over-the-Lake, now the only chieftain outside the city
Megaman_zx is any chieftain of the Hillmen whom he chooses; there is no single ruler among the clans of the kinsmen of Higgs
Quisani is Pollix the Brave, descendant of Cephas the Wildman
electric926 is Midnas Ax-Lord the Younger, descendant of Midnas Ax-Lord
LDiCesare is Echlas the Tamer of Beasts, descendant of Dontas Horsehammer

Micil, son of Pederic, descendant of Micil the Brave, is free, and if noone takes him I will characterise him as an NPC.

Turn 3:

Anonymoose is Frast, descendant of Frast Over-the-Lake, still the only chieftain outside the city
Quisani is Lerquinas the Bold, son of Pollix the Brave, descendant of Cephas the Wildman
electric926 is Ariel the Pious, nephew of Midnas Ax-Lord the Younger, descendant of Midnas Ax-Lord
LDiCesare is Prillitas the the Far-shooting, the now aged younger brother of Echlas the Tamer of Beasts, descendant of Dontas Horsehammer
freemanuncg is Caacrinolas, a spirit released by Endas the Witch (if he's still alive) or his offspring (if he isn't).

Trilidys the Mighty, son of Micil, son of Pederic, descendant of Micil the Brave, is free, and is a fairly normal clan which anyone can characterise however they want.
The Hillmen remain disunited, disorganised, and sometimes criminal until someone chooses to reunite them.
A player is free to assume control of the Gemorans.
A player is free to assume control of the Mopolachesthents.

Turn 4:

Anonymoose is Frast, descendant of Frast Over-the-Lake, still the only chieftain outside the city
Quisani is Lerquinas the Bold, son of Pollix the Brave, descendant of Cephas the Wildman
LDiCesare is Prillitas the the Far-shooting, the now aged younger brother of Echlas the Tamer of Beasts, descendant of Dontas Horsehammer
SKILORD is Trilidys the Mighty, son of Micil, son of Pederic, descendant of Micil the Brave.
freemanuncg is Caacrinolas, a spirit released by Endas the Witch

Myra Ax-Mistress, niece of Midnas Ax-Lord the Younger, descendant of Midnas Ax-Lord, is free and really needs a player!
The Hillmen remain disunited, disorganised, and sometimes criminal until someone chooses to reunite them.

Turn 5:

Seon is Endas the Younger, the Witch and the Undying Queen of Neroel
Quisani is Lerquinas the Bold, son of Pollix the Brave, descendant of Cephas the Wildman, High Priest in Neroel
LDiCesare is Prillitas the the Far-shooting, the now aged younger brother of Echlas the Tamer of Beasts, descendant of Dontas Horsehammer, Chieftain in Neroel
The Hillmen, a tribe in Neroel, still have a semblance of order and kinship but no real organisation.

SKILORD is Trilidys the Mighty, son of Micil, son of Pederic, descendant of Micil the Brave, Chieftain in Cacrinolle
freemanuncg is Caacrinolas, a spirit released by Endas the Elder, currently living in Cacrinolle

Myra Ax-Mistress, niece of Midnas Ax-Lord the Younger, descendant of Midnas Ax-Lord, Queen of Midnae, is free and really needs a player!

Anonymoose is Frast, descendant of Frast Over-the-Lake, High Vizier of Mulhudullimillolotodull

Turn 6:

Seon is Endas the Younger, the Witch and the Undying Queen of Neroel
Quisani is Cephas the Tame, son of Lerquinas the Bold, son of Pollix the Brave, descendant of Cephas the Wildman, High Priest in Neroel
LDiCesare is Meitas the Victorious, great-nephew of Prillitas the the Far-shooting, the younger brother of Echlas the Tamer of Beasts, descendant of Dontas Horsehammer, Chieftain in Neroel

The Hillmen, a tribe in Neroel and outside it, are still not united.

SKILORD is Pederic the Tall, son of Trilidys the Mighty, son of Micil, son of Pederic, descendant of Micil the Brave, Chieftain in Cacrinolle
freemanuncg is Caacrinolas, a spirit released by Endas the Elder, currently living in Cacrinolle

Clorigine, son of Gamory, King of Midnae, is free and really needs a player!

Anonymoose is Frast, now extremely old, descendant of Frast Over-the-Lake, High Vizier of Mulhudullimillolotodull

What is this?

It is, admittedly, a very peculiar NES. A sort of story-based NES I suppose. I am trying, in short, to create a mythological world, and, basically, I want someone to create a city for the NES to take place in. So someone should do it! In short, this is a foundation myth and I have just written the line in the myth where it says, as you might expect from a foundation myth, "so and so founded a city".

Therefore, someone needs to be the first player, the founder of the city, and, within the rough parameters set in the first post, create a city by writing about it.

Whats this I don't even...

Abaddon, I have explained fully what it is. Twice. If you can't get it, try harder or don't play. Here is the third time.

It isn't difficult. Right now, someone needs to write a foundation myth for a fictional city from the perspective of the founder! This story will, no doubt, include other people and entities that players can take control of later on.

All the players' stories will be framed within the words of the narrator, i.e. this prophet-historian from the future who is narrating a history to this Prince, and I will write the prophet-historian's account of events to go around the activities of the players.

I intend that, in the long run, once sophisticated polities are present, I will probably bring this into more traditional NES format, with stats and orders, but first we will create the world that the NES takes place in, with the use of stories.

So, for the third time, could someone please just either get the idea of what I'm trying to do, or take it on trust that I know what I'm trying to do if you don't get it, and be Lord Gritchen and found and describe a city!

You are a mythological founding hero and you can create what you like, be it vegetable, animal, or mineral, or even abstract or magical.

Gosh, a bit tetchy arn't we?

I'm not a story writer.. perhaps someone else will.. but this all seems a bit odd. Its not a NES, its a English LIT homework :/

It is indeed odd. It's an experiment. It is a NES because it will combine players' efforts to create a coherent narrative, and once there are enough players with factions/concepts that they have invented, they will begin to "play" in competition and collaboration with each other just as in any NES. I don't mean to be touchy, but really, that's enough OOC for now. :)

Okay, so you want someone to write how they used the power of a god to create spires and markets and horse-stalls all in one day or you want someone to write about how a people came to this land and founded a city by building it in a more traditional sense?

edit:
Terrence: very eloquent, but did you read the first post properly? They're satanists, and you don't have to deal with all that. All you have to do is say how he founded the city and what it was like. I'm afraid none of what you PMed me is compatible with the first post or relevant to what Gritchen's player needs to do.

can you expand on this... i like the idea but i don't 'get' it... not to be mean but its confusing for me. I do trust that you have something beautiful in mind but i am not sure where you are growing this.

EDIT 2: I reread your story- i get that its a god-like creation.

Do we know anything about the landscape on which it was built? is it like regular earth? are there grasses and horses and stone and iron or is it ash and volcano and stuff?

I don't get the references to why the devil was away.

EDIT 3: did gritchen create man?

EDIT 4: do the people that live in this land now, much later after the creation, live in a fantasy world? Do they summon devils? Are they like regular people struggling in regular lives?

The land of Pog is a wealthy land. The three great cities on the Great Lake lie stretching before the observer who sits patiently at the top of the Tower of the Saints.

You see that city, far below? You see the towers and their lofty pinnacles, known since time immemorial?

fifteen hundred years ago

Who will be Gritchen and build us a magical city, magnificent with gold and glowing with spired turrets, unhindered by the all-powerful Devil, in a single Night?

I don't get it.. you've already decided/described the city for us, and told us it was built in a night.. what more is there to say ?

Okay, so you want someone to write how they used the power of a god to create spires and markets and horse-stalls all in one day or you want someone to write about how a people came to this land and founded a city by building it in a more traditional sense?

I want someone to tell of, in a myth... so of course the actions of the players are not plausible, they are acting under the rules of legend. I mean, take the myth of Amphion and Zethus. They founded a city, using their heroic powers. The story-tellers don't dwell on the details of what the two heroes did, but they explain how various features of the city came to be, like the walls that Amphion charmed into place with his lyre. Or take the myth of any other founding hero: they did it completely implausibly by modern standards, and the story doesn't worry about whether they had large numbers of followers or not, or any other implausibilities like that.

However, I want the player, having explained how the city came to be, to give and have in mind a fair idea of what the city is actually like. How is it laid out? How is it fortified? etc. . They can use the foundation myth to explain these and other features of the city, and they can use the foundation myth to allow them to include in the city whatever they like, even if it's magical. Provided the nature of the city is cohesive within itself, and it explains why the city exists, and it explains roughly what the city contains, it can be anything.

can you expand on this... i like the idea but i don't 'get' it... not to be mean but its confusing for me. I do trust that you have something beautiful in mind but i am not sure where you are growing this.

Of course not. What I meant was that Terrence PMed me a brief and quite good, but completely irrelevant and incompatible with the OP, account of the world before Gritchen.

EDIT 2: I reread your story- i get that its a god-like creation.

Do we know anythign about the landscape on which it was built? is it like regular earth? are there grasses and horses and stone and iron or is it ash and volcano and stuff?

A lake is surrounded by an area of plain surrounded by the hills that were mentioned. The rest is up to the players.

I don't get the references to why the devil was away.

Hm. I should have explained that better. These are satanists. Consequently, when the devil is completely absent, it follows that humans can, in principle, do whatever they like, and so Gritchen was free to found a city with superhuman and heroic speed and in a way that would otherwise have been implausible.

EDIT 3: did gritchen create man?

He needn't have done as far as I can see. I'll say no.

EDIT 4: do the people that live in this land now, much later after the creation, live in a fantasy world? Do they summon devils? Are they like regular people struggling in regular lives?

Up to Gritchen! :) I think a decent quantity of magic within a mythological history is highly probable.

I don't get it.. you've already decided/described the city for us, and told us it was built in a night.. what more is there to say ?

No I haven't. I've told you that, 1500 years in the future, there will be three cities on the lake. I've told you Gritchen built the first city of the three. As for the line about magnificent towers, that's embellishment and inspiration (sorry, I should probably have left it out) and not a description of the city, much less a detailed description of the city, and certainly not a full account of its foundation, which is what I want. You can even ignore the gleaming towers if you like.

If anyone has more sensible questions, please fire away!

It follows you cannot have satan without a god.. are these people horrible, heretical satan worshippers? How did this come to be? Where's god? What did the devil manage to do to get him worshipped instead of god?

More importantly, why inflict a very earth and human setting as satanism? Are there some christians in the other valley? Will Jesus pop up soon?

As far as I can see from what I've written, no-one worships Satan as such. And evil devilist spirits are prevalent in many cultures. You can very well have a devil without a god. And the people at the beginning are welcome to think what they like, just as long as the players remember they are playing out the story from the future, as a myth, and so they cannot believe in gods, even if the people of the time do to some greater or lesser extent, although, of course, that would mean that I had to make sure that history turned in such a way that people lost their faith in gods.

evil "devilish" spirits is very different from Satan... Satan is WHOLLY from Christianity..

You can have good and evil, but you can't have the devil without god..

The Devil is a common concept, perfectly appropriate for use in this NES. If you can have God without the Devil, you can have the Devil without God. The concept of "Satan" may be rather Christian, but the word "Devil" is generic, and that was the word I used throughout the first post.

Sorry, but does it have to be first person? I'm writing something right now, and third person is easier than first person when telling a fable, almost by its very nature.

Top Bottom