1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Spy in each city?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by OneBinary, Aug 16, 2007.

1. OneBinary

OneBinary Warlord

I have looked through Civilopedia but it does not mention anything about this notion of keeping a spy in a city to prevent AI spies from carrying out missions in that city. Is this documented somewhere? Does a spy in your city ensure that an AI spy can't carry out a mission?

2. afa2000

afa2000 Time to die

From Civilopedia:

Spy functions:
    - helps twarth enemy spies

3. 18lama

18lama Warlord

^ It does thwart rival spies. I have one spy in each of my cities and spaceship producing cites each have 2 spies. But this is not a foolproof way of avoiding espionage.

4. greggbert

greggbert Warlord

No. A spy in your city does nothing. You have to go to enemy territory to thwart enemy spies. There is a counterespionage mission you can do against a specific civ that makes their spy actions more expensive against you, but you have to launch that mission from enemy territory.

That's all the civlopedia entry means by thwart. You should not put a spy in your cities as they have no function there. They only function in foreign territory. Only two things stop enemy spies. A good espionage ratio witht he spying country, and the actual mission called "counterespionage".

5. Proteus

Proteus King

There have ben experiments which show that defending spies enhance the probability to detect enemy spies, see here:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=5827476&postcount=11

I normally also keep one spy in every city and in my core cities there never has been a successful sabotage attempt. Then only ones that have been successful have been in 2 newly conquered cities that, to this time, hadn´t a defensive spy and in a city on another continent where there wasn´t a defending spy for a long time.

6. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

According to me, a spy in your city increases the odds of a spy being "stumbled upon" -- there is NO certainty. I put one in each of my 'critical' cities. It is not actually KNOWN that they have any affect.

7. braindrain

braindrain brainiac

do spies count as military units as far as upkeep goes? could get spendy having that many spies as well as a respectable army.

8. OneBinary

OneBinary Warlord

I can tell you that they don't count as military units for the happiness bonus under Hereditary Rule

9. LlamaCat

LlamaCat Emperor

I think spies in your own cities will increase the chances of their mission failing, as has been noted.

Also, don't forget Security Bureau - this building specifically reduces the chance of enemy missions by 50%

10. Portus

Portus Warlord

i dont agree with that " play spy game ", i disable them from my game. the AI spam spy in each 5/6 turns, more AI opponents more spys in your country its unrrealistic and distract other more interesting things and consumes lots of boring micromanagement IMO. Nice for the AI, not fun for me.

11. GrandWazoo

GrandWazoo Chieftain

I like the spy system. Brings a lot of strategy to the game. I was complaining since the start about the pitiful Civ4 spying system but they have outdone themselves for this one.

It can get annoying if you are trying to ignore it because the AI won't. Spies are cheap, create some, place them in the cities you want to protect. Invest your spy points in Civ that are more likely to spy on you (your neighbors most often) and run a Counter Espionage mission once in a while to keep his spies at bay. Also build the spies buildings, especially Security Bureau if you want to defend yourself and soon you should be able to have the situation under control.

12. Dan Quale

Dan Quale Prince

If you have a huge empire and actually build all the espionage buildings, courthouses and jails are a must anyway, there is very little chance of enemy spies being to do anything at all later even if the slider is at 0.