1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

spying stealing sabotage

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by matlajs, Aug 28, 2016.

1. matlajs

matlajs King

Im begining think that espionage is somewhat broken and bugged. From renaisance i have parked spy lvl2 at capital. he never catch anyone, never prevented anything bad, even wasnt able at least identify them. is that intended? they just cant die in procces?

2. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

When that special agent is too special and spy better than agent trying to counter him.

3. matlajs

matlajs King

sorry, but lvl2 vs lvl3 and zero catches through game? still laughable. when i consider how easy is get spy lvl3, just make him diplomat and let him discover some plots(actually i had that case from lvl1 to3 in just one turn bcoz revealed that shaca ploted against 2 players), it shouldnt be that way. make lvl 4 than to have some 007 bonds, that would be at least reasonable outcome.

edit: when we are already in, i will ask if sabotage can be countered in other way than just with that religious buildings(cant get that name now)

4. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

Ok.. so if it's that easy, then just turn your parked agent into a lvl 3 then?

5. matlajs

matlajs King

well ok, i play yet just 2nd game, but any of my spies were killed over course of game, enemy's neither.

6. matlajs

matlajs King

im asking bcoz in vanilla spy with 2lvl was actually able kill some and promo himself. he was my best spy in that moment when i sent him there

7. Strigvir

Strigvir Emperor

Why do you expect level 2 spy killing level 3 spies?

8. matlajs

matlajs King

bcoz it can sometimes happen. same like worse player can beat better. same in sport, same in this game, same in whatever, thats just happening. i wouldnt be surprised if his ratio was about 1/5. but he didnt do anything.

9. Funak

Funak Deity

Fairly certain rank 1 spies can actually catch higher ranked spies and kill them, but it's a lot rarer than it is in vanilla, for a good reason I mean in vanilla sending a rank 3 spy into an enemy city guarded by a rank 1 spy was suicide, a gamelosing move.

10. Therakis

Therakis Chieftain

I'm noticing this too. Espionage seems broken when you play England and get that free starting spy and the AI INSTANTLY knows they had tech stolen/building sabotaged/etc despite being in the ancient era with no counter spies and when you place them in your own cities they never catch the enemy spy, ever. AI sends spies to my capital, where I have a rank 3 spy for counter intelligence, and over the span of 5 turns I had 2 assassinations, 2 stolen research, 2 stolen gold and a wonder sabotaged and despite my spy being rank 3 and theirs being rank 1 (I was tech leader and was barely halfway through my second renaissance tech)

11. matlajs

matlajs King

yes, thats another annoying factor but not only for espionage. second example of this is digging hidden antiquity sites in lands of vic, which didnt adopt aesthetic tree. how they can know about it and than complaining on me? :D

12. Funak

Funak Deity

You usually notices the English spy pretty quickly as well if they are the AI. However as you probably know noticing the AI English spy doesn't actually help you at all. All you can really do is forgive her, as she wont stop spying even if you ask her.

13. ProkhorZakharov

ProkhorZakharov Chieftain

The antiquity sites are hidden, the archaeologists are visible.

14. matlajs

matlajs King

when devs provided ai behaviour with some human aspects, they should also learn them, that human won't simply let lie possible x thousands of culture for others. Btw how many times i can expect that culture option from hiddens? its 1 per x modifier? or its just random and luck?

15. Zanteogo

Zanteogo King

i have to add in that defensive spy's seem to be pretty weak. I know it's party based on random chance but if your going to use spy's for defences rather that getting your own tech or getting city states you would think they would be somewhat more effective.

It would be nice if they gained level every vote rigged or every spy they fail to catch. Currently diplo spies max level way too fast, while spies doing actual spy stuff hardly ever.

16. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

I can honestly say that I have no earthly idea what you are trying to say here.

G

17. Freaky Freddy

Freaky Freddy Chieftain

I gotta say that i've also had a bad experience with defensive spies. Had a level 3 one sitting in my capital that never caught anyone despite several assassinations and science thefts. Couldn't even identify which civs they belonged too.

And using them offensively always gives me over 150 turns for a tech steal which rarely works because they either get caught and killed or the number of turns increases due to constabularies and stuff getting built.

Personally spies just aren't very fun atm, but i might be doing something wrong.

18. matlajs

matlajs King

rly interesting. im pretty sure that recenty spy lvl1 in Soul killed my lvl2. Ai find its way to win ..... :) some mechanics works just for her. spies spawned just before 25 turns. rly interesting that they had already there some super spy. couldnt be more than lvl2. so lvl2 vs lvl2 100% efficiency? omg rework it.

19. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

I don't see a problem. Spies are good for stealing in early-mid game. Then you change them to diplomats or to rig CS elections. Or you just leave one in some capital hoping it kills a GP.

20. pandasnail

pandasnail Prince

I will 'translate.' Numbers 3 and 4, he's asking for defensive spies to be better, including low level ones. Which is at least a reasonable view, not sure I agree, but defensive spies certainly aren't OP at least.

Number 2, he's saying the AI shouldn't be allowed to get mad when it can't see the Antiquity Site being dug up. I disagree.

I think Number 1 he's saying the AI should go Aesthetics more often, because of how good the Hidden Antiquity Sites are.