1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Spys Getting Caught

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by squoink, Mar 5, 2012.

1. squoink

squoink Chieftain

Hi,

Does anyone know the criteria that determine if a spy is stumbled upon or not when in enemy territory?

Cheers

2. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

AFAIK it's a random chance. Not sure what the odds are, sorry.

3. JBryan314

JBryan314 Always Watching

Usually the odds say something like 21-71% chance of success. Pretty wide margin. I find that using spies to destroy land upgrades is a way to use them without losing them often. Otherwise, I lose spies all the time. It's almost not even worth trying to use them unless your opponent is building something that is important and takes forever, and they are really close to finishing it. Then I'd use a spy to destroy the progress. But even when I do that, I usually send two or three spies to do it, because they get caught so easily on those missions. It can get expensive too. My most common use of them is to get 4 spies to roam around the enemy territory destroying upgrades until there are literally no upgrades left to destroy. I would imagine that hinders your opponent somewhat, to be in the year 2000 and have zero upgraded tiles left in their whole civ.

4. RD-BH

RD-BH Human

From c. 2007

5. OneLeggedRhino

OneLeggedRhino Chieftain

Not as comprehensive, but perhaps easier to use, here's how to raise your spy's chances:

1. Open borders with target civ.

2. Only 1 spy per tile. You have worse odds when you stack them.

3. Hope there's no enemy spy. (If your odds seem unusually low, wait a turn, maybe it was an enemy spy passing through the city.)

6. yturk39

yturk39 Chieftain

1) Insert them into rival territory when you have an Open Borders agreement, and even then pair them up with another unit that has to walk from point to point, like an Archer or a Spearman. This way the spy's footprints will be virtually indistinguishable from those of the paired-up unit.

2) Assign a number to your spy. This is helpful when you want to select him and not have him shout out (in your Civ's language) something like "Your orders?" or "What do you want me to do?" If I was playing the Ottomans, for example, and I heard a disembodied voice say something like that in another language in one of my cities, I'd be inclined to keep my guard up.

3) Spy "missions" should be used sparingly, and when possible you should economize on cost. It's better to keep them OUT of cities, but within line of sight, preferably on an unused tile improvement. That abandoned farm or mine would make a good hideout, right? Observe what's happening around you. Enemy spies are far more likely to be actively guarding the city proper, or a valued (and active) tile improvement than they are some abandoned improvement nobody has gotten around to replacing.

7. pixiejmcc

pixiejmcc Chieftain

That quotation explains things perfectly. Its not as scary as it looks. I'm sure I'd read that the longer your spy is stationary the less chance he has of getting caught (and I seem to remember there being feedback in the game confirming this). But from Bhruic's code-digging it seems as though the only factor is whether the spy has moved on the current turn or not.

8. tdy99

tdy99 Chieftain

Are you talking about MP? I find it hard to believe the AI actually does things like look around for ghost footprints, or listen for "your orders?". I didn't even know spies did those things... Then again I tend to play with the volume down really low.

9. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

Methinks he was being facetious/sarcastic...

10. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Wait, you can assign numbers to units? :O

11. SamSniped

SamSniped C O M R A D E W A V E

I forget the exact buttons you press, but you can have it so if you press 1 a certain unit will come up. There's probably the directions in the Civilopedia under hints.

12. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Not sure which question you are asking, so here are both answers:

You can rename your units, for example "Spy 1". Select the unit. Click on the unit's name in the box at the lower right of the screen. You will get a pop up box that lets you rename the unit to your heart's content. Assuming a unique name for the unit, you can find it by using the military screen and show individual units button on it. Click the name you want and it will flash on the minimap. Click the flashing spot and you will go back to the main screen with the map centered on the unit.

You can assign a number key to a unit or group of units. The units are then called up using the control-number key combo. I don't use it but I read about how to assign it in the civilopedia (or maybe the manual).

13. yturk39

yturk39 Chieftain

When you select a unit directly (one that talks, anyway...not ships...), versus wait for it to activate during your turn, it will always sound off with one of those unit activation phrases. When you assign a number to a unit you can activate it any time you want, without that happening.

I haven't played MP much, so I'm not even sure if in MP you can hear other units speak in their languages. It would be cool if you could.

My comments were more about role-playing, for fun, although I'm not entirely convinced the footprint thing is something the AI doesn't notice. I've seen the AI does, for example, go out of its way to assist the player by showing sudden dispersals of crows (or bats?) from trees when no (visible) unit entered that tile, allowing the player to infer that an unseen unit (i.e. Spy) has passed through. Why couldn't a player's rash moves work similarly and leave clues for the AI?

I can't point to a passage of code that says it works this way. That said, not all of the game code is accessible, is it?