SQ1: Google Earth

Sima Qian

太史令
So I just got back from a vacation business trip to Seattle. What I was up to over there is not important, but it sort of prompted me to start up something in this forum.

And yes, I finally managed to patch my Civ 3 Vanilla up to v1.29 after a horrendous reconfiguration of my computer.

This is not really a mod, just edited the civs (new leaders, traits, and UU assignments). I'm no good at making units or animations, so just bear with me and all the lameness I've put into this scenario. I'd still appreciate guinea pigs to volunteer and see what this may turn out to be.

Variant rules - Can the company whose motto is "Don't be evil" manage to rule the world while making a handsome profit?

I only have three so far, open to suggestions:
1. Don't be evil. This amounts to not using exploits, respecting our reputation, etc.
2. We must declare war on our evil nemesis Microsoft as soon as we contact them, and will keep up the war until they are destroyed. We must never make peace with them. No initial trades allowed.
3. We must maintain a positive cash flow at all times to appease our investors. No deficit spending ever.

As for map size and difficulty, I'd like to see this game last into modern age, so I'd recommend either standard or large and emperor or deity, but I'd like to hear your opinions as well.

Notes on the modifications:
1. Google is expansionist and scientific. They build Web Crawlers instead of chariots, which have the same stats as the Egyptian War Chariot.
2. Apple is religious and scientific. They build Podcasters instead of musketmen, which have the same stats as the French Musketeer.
3. IBM is militaristic and scientific. They build Deep Blue instead of tanks, which have the same stats as the German Panzer.
4. Linux is religious and industrious. They build Penguincraft instead of frigates, which have the same stats as the English Man-of-War.
5. AOL Time Warner is expansionist and commercial. They build Monthly Subscribers instead of archers, which have the same stats as the Babylonian Bowman.
6. Yahoo! is expansionist and industrious. They build Yahooligans instead of warriors, which have the same stats as the Aztec Jaguar Warrior.
7. Sun Microsystems is scientific and industrious. They build Virtual Javadumpers instead of jet fighters, which have the same stats as the American F-15.
8. Microsoft has all six traits. They build Mindless Minions instead of spearmen, which have the same stats as the Zulu Impi.

I'll post the mod graphics and a bic file once I see enough interest in this, since there might be a couple of other loose ends I need to check on before this game can get started. And I probably also need to write up a few instructions on how to set this up.

EDIT: The files are now available for download in Post #7 on this thread.

EDIT 2: The game has started!
Deity
Continents
Standard size
70% ocean
Temperate
Wet
4 billion years landform
Raging barbs.

The start:

Roster:
Sima Qian
tupaclives
Andronicus
Tone
Mirc (?)

Read on for more details...

Is this for real? This has gotta be the weirdest mod ever. Looking forward to it, unless it's an early April Fools joke.

Vanilla 1.29f? Sign me up!! :D

Obviously we'll need to wait for your instructions on setting up the mod but I wanna reserve a place now ;)

BuckyRea said:
Is this for real? This has gotta be the weirdest mod ever. Looking forward to it, unless it's an early April Fools joke.

This is not a joke, I'm totally serious. This is how our game might go:

tupaclives said:
Vanilla 1.29f? Sign me up!! :D

Obviously we'll need to wait for your instructions on setting up the mod but I wanna reserve a place now ;)

Okay, you're in!

Sima Qian said:
Microsoft has all six traits.

This sounds very interesting - I'd like to join

With all traits would that make for an early KAI - seems appropriate but quite a challenge

Pangea would ensure earlier warfare and exposure of all to microsoft, but may make for an earlier ending one way or the other

OK, let's see if this works.

I'm posting a zip file with a whole bunch of stuff inside. Check to make sure you find the following when you open it:

Art:
Advisors: 8 files ending in _all.pcx​
Civilopedia: Icons: Races: 16 files ending in either 128.pcx or 32.pcx​
Flics: 8 files ending in .flc​
leaderheads: 16 fiiles ending in either 120.pcx or just .pcx​

Text: civilopedia.txt and pediaicons.txt

Scenarios: Google Earth.bic

Saves: Eric Schmidt of the Googlers, 4000 BC.SAV

Installation:
1. BACK UP THESE TWO FILES FIRST
Before doing anything else, go to your current civ3 directory, then go to Text, and make backups for civilopedia.txt and pediaicons.txt
2. Move the zip file to your civ3 directory and extract it right there. Alternatively, you could extract it to its own folder and then copy all of its contents into the civ3 directory.

Gameplay:
1. Load up Civ3 Vanilla 1.29f
2. Select "Load Scenario"
3. Choose "Google Earth.bic"

Or you could try playing the save I already generated, but I think we will probably want to agree on what kind of map/difficulty/etc first.

EDIT: Archive replaced with newer version with a few fixes and additions (mostly cosmetic/civilopedia stuff). 21 March 2006.

Attachments

• SQ1 Google Earth.zip
    456.1 KB · Views: 364
lurker's comment: I'll be staying in the Lurker's Den watching. Looks awesome!:)

Okay, game hasn't even started and I've managed to screw up already. I didn't include the new unit folders in the zip file, although they're all just redundant versions of the units already included in the game.

I tried to attach those, but it seems like the file size is too large. Plus, I think CFC has a policy against attaching copyrighted material from Firaxis (not freely redistributable), so I'm not going to push the limits there.

WHAT TO DO:

- Go to civ3/Art/units

- Make a duplicate (copy & paste) of the War Chariot folder.
- Rename it to "Web Crawler"
- Go inside the folder and change the name of War Chariot.ini to "Web Crawler.ini"

- Make a duplicate (copy & paste) of the Musketeer folder.
- Rename it to "Podcaster"
- Go inside the folder and change the name of Musketeer.ini to "Podcaster.ini"

- Make a duplicate (copy & paste) of the Panzer folder.
- Rename it to "Deep Blue"
- Go inside the folder and change the name of Panzer.ini to "Deep Blue.ini"

- Make a duplicate (copy & paste) of the Man-O-War folder.
- Rename it to "Penguincraft"
- Go inside the folder and change the name of Man-O-War.ini to "Penguincraft.ini"

- Make a duplicate (copy & paste) of the Jaguar Warrior folder.
- Rename it to "Yahooligan"
- Go inside the folder and change the name of Jaguar Warrior.ini to "Yahooligan.ini"

- Make a duplicate (copy & paste) of the Impi folder.
- Rename it to "Mindless Minion"
- Go inside the folder and change the name of Impi.ini to "Mindless Minion.ini"

- Make a duplicate (copy & paste) of the F-15 folder.
- Rename it to "Virtual Javadumper"
- Go inside the folder and change the name of F-15.ini to "Virtual Javadumper.ini"

- Make a duplicate (copy & paste) of the Bowman folder.
- Rename it to "Monthly Subscriber"
- Go inside the folder and change the name of Bowman.ini to "Monthly Subscriber.ini"

Sorry about the inconvenience. You will also be wasting about 13 MB of disk space this way :lol:

If anyone knows of an easier way to do this, please let me know (although I'd probably have better luck on the C&C forum).

How could I pass up the chance of participating in something so original?

I'd like to sign up please.

lurkers comment: Heh, "Antichrist Bill Gates." This looks interesting. I'll be watching :D

Tone said:
How could I pass up the chance of participating in something so original?

I'd like to sign up please.

Great! You've been added to the roster, which now holds:

Sima Qian
tupaclives
Andronicus
Tone
(open slot)

lurker's comment: I'll take room 12 in the lurker hotel, please. Extra towels, please. Non smoking.

BEST MOD EVER

Would join if I could run vanilla on my PC, for some reason it corrupts the files and weird things happen like despotic radar towers :lol:

Will lurk with joy :cooool:

ACK!!! I found another glitch while doing some playtesting - forgot to disable Yahoo from building warriors and AOL from building archers (since their UUs replace them).

Expect another updated scenario file soon.

Anyway, I'm glad to see there's so many lurkers checking in. Although is there anyone else to fill in that last spot on the roster?

Ok, problems should be fixed now. I also added some more civilopedia entries - mostly gibberish or technobabble, nothing meaningful in there.

The zip file in Post #7 has been replaced with the newer version.

If you already downloaded the older version, only a few files have changed, so you can just make the necessary replacements. These are:
Scenarios/Google Earth.bic
Text/civilopedia.txt
Text/pediaicons.txt
Saves/Eric Schmidt of the Googlers, 4000 BC.SAV

The save file isn't that important, since we will probably generate a new one once we are ready for the game. This one I included is mainly for testing purposes.

Oh, and the unit setup instructions in Post #10 still apply, so if you haven't done that yet, please do so.

Still waiting for one more player on the roster...

Tried loading save, but at end of first turn got this message then civ crashed :(

edit : could this be a microsoft conspiracy since I use windows :crazyeye: ?

I got the same message but then I went back and checked I'd followed all the instructions for the units. Make sure everything has been renamed, then ti should work.

Actually I'm havign a problem too, the advisor windows have no background which makes the text very difficult to read and for some reason I can't change what I'm researching, and using the sliders is a very difficult task

Top Bottom